Project Snowflake restarted - [scratch build]

Nerdwall

BoHJJ3m.jpg?1

Hi! I´m glad you found your way here, welcome to this project!

I started this project way back in December of last year and I had a vision about how I wanted to create my own “ultimate case” and build a really cool system in it. I made a thread about it here on the forums and started working. The problem was that I underestimated how much work and time it takes to do something like this, and I didn´t have time at the moment. School and other things got in the way and my posts here became few and far between, so I decided to put the project on ice until the summer. Now I have just had my last exam and I want to get this going again!

So what’s is all this about then? I´m going to run you through the idea for this project and also where we are right now!

As I wrote earlier the main point of this project is to realize my vision about my “ultimate case”. After many hours of thinking and also my experience during past builds I have decided what I think represents the perfect case for me right now, in my current situation in life. This will probably change in the future and I guess I´ll have to build new cases when the time comes.

Anyway, the case I’m working on right now is an m-ITX case made from scratch in Plexiglas. It has an inverted motherboard with the graphics card then being on top, visible through the transparent top panel. The right side panel also has a transparent window and the rest of the case is all white. It will feature a full size ATX power supply and up to 28cm GPU. Everything will be water cooled with a double 120mm (240) rad in the front and a single 120mm rad in the back. Most of the components are already bought and some modded to suite the color theme, I´ll write a list further down the post and also some pics!

I´m also thinking about making some videos about some of the steps in the process, like installing different water blocks, working with acrylic or just computer building in general. Please let me know what you think about that!

Here follows some short info about me. If you want to read more about the earlier process of the project, feel free to read through the old thread if you want. The link is here:

LINK TO OLD THREAD

About me: My name is Axel, a 20 years old guy studying Industrial Engineering at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm Sweden. I’ve been into computers since my dad bought our first computer about 10 years ago. A few years later when we decided to get a new machine, I did get a chance to disassemble the old one and in that moment I was caught. I have now built about 10 systems and have gathered all the experience, knowledge and inspiration I think I need for this project! You can find my last two builds here:

Specifications:

Intel i7 4770K (delidded)

MSI Z97I-ACK

XFX XTR 650W PSU

2x8GB Corsair DDR3 RAM

2x500GB Samsung 850 EVO

128GB ADATA M.2 SSD

GPU TBA

Cooling:

EK DDC pump

EK X-RES v3 res/pump top

Black Ice GTS 240 and 120 mm rads

Koolance 380i CPU block

EK Monarch RAM block

GPU block and fitting TBA

Some pictures:

rVBA4hn.jpg

urJvzHk.jpg

n3EfP4F.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 4770K | Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VI Impact | Minne: 16GB A-Data XPG DDR3 | Chassi: Corsair 250D | GPU: Gigabyte GTX780 Ghz + EK-FC780 GTX WF3 | SSD: Seagate 600 480GB x2 RAID0 | PSU: XFX XTR 650W | Kylning: Koolance CPU380i, Koolance PMP-300, HW Black Ice 240mm + HW Black Ice 120mm | Mus: Logitech G600 | Tangentbord: FUNC KB-460 | Skärm: Philips 272C4QPJKAB 1440p 60Hz | Headset: Sony MDR-V6

Ok this is sick, but it´s finally finished! Yes you heard right, the system is up and running! :P

I have been working 24/7 the last days to make it happen but finally everything came together the way I had planned. It was a tight fit and no margins anywhere what so ever... Just the way it´s supposed to be I guess! Hehe

Now I have to install windows and get the system overclocked and testet etc. I will update you guys with more on that later. For now, here are a bunch of random pictures of the finished project! Please let me know what you think and don´t hesitate to ask questions! :)

5ZvylSn.jpg

NBrZF3T.jpg

fGMHoMz.jpg

ctUxyPP.jpg

dHmSObD.jpg

vin6g5Y.jpg

BFCA3j2.jpg

Oz620w8.jpg

yjCPoAC.jpg

1QVATT8.jpg

fhX2SH2.jpg

8jaL7Wb.jpg

YiOy9w2.jpg

1wwRfrD.jpg

OJkyBHr.jpg

TPW0iwk.jpg

OtGCSvs.jpg

60xvFUW.jpg

657stV0.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 4770K | Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VI Impact | Minne: 16GB A-Data XPG DDR3 | Chassi: Corsair 250D | GPU: Gigabyte GTX780 Ghz + EK-FC780 GTX WF3 | SSD: Seagate 600 480GB x2 RAID0 | PSU: XFX XTR 650W | Kylning: Koolance CPU380i, Koolance PMP-300, HW Black Ice 240mm + HW Black Ice 120mm | Mus: Logitech G600 | Tangentbord: FUNC KB-460 | Skärm: Philips 272C4QPJKAB 1440p 60Hz | Headset: Sony MDR-V6

Whatrase

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Whatrase

I don't get this... :S

I don't get this... :S

*what case

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

*what case

Ah now i get it! :) I´m creating  my own case, I´ll upload some pics tomorrow! 

Hi everyone!

Here is a small update with some pictures of the case and what it looks like right now. I look forward to some feedback from you guys! :)

Fisrt a pic of the feet I got from E-Bay a couple of days ago

AsJm4Uo.jpg

And now to the case

m9epFzK.jpg

inz2ndK.jpg

/Axel

This looks sweet!  Subbed!

Currently roaming the forums in boredom

I like mice and keyboards and the sort

Formerly TheFlurryGames

This looks sweet!  Subbed!

SUUBD:D

Subbed, can't wait for fiished build :D

Welcome guys! I have just finished today's modding, pictures coming tomorrow!  :)

great to see you are designing and building your own case, and yes it does take a lot of time and money depending on what you want for the final result. 

can you please tell us what the intention of the build will be used for? do you need liquid cooling, or just like the idea and extra challenge of fitting it all in and making it work.

as you know if you have seen my m-itx scratch build log, i designed it in mind of certain perimeters and so everything about the case was designed to make every fit (just) and it was a challenge as i wanted to design and build a m-itx case as small as possible but can house a full size psu, a Asus strix 970, air cooling, quiet, efficient etc.. 

so i think you get the idea, now with yours what is the end result and challenge your looking for within your design?

got to love Asus components

great to see you are designing and building your own case, and yes it does take a lot of time and money depending on what you want for the final result. 

can you please tell us what the intention of the build will be used for? do you need liquid cooling, or just like the idea and extra challenge of fitting it all in and making it work.

as you know if you have seen my m-itx scratch build log, i designed it in mind of certain perimeters and so everything about the case was designed to make every fit (just) and it was a challenge as i wanted to design and build a m-itx case as small as possible but can house a full size psu, a Asus strix 970, air cooling, quiet, efficient etc.. 

so i think you get the idea, now with yours what is the end result and challenge your looking for within your design?

The problem with all (or most) cases on the market today is, in my opinion, that they are trying to be perfect for everyone. I think that only makes them perfect for nobody and that is why I decided to create my own case. A case that is not perfect for everyone but perfect for some including me, without all the thing I don´t need like 5,25" and 3,5" bays etc.

The finished system will be used for gaming ofc but also video editing with Adobe After Effects and Premiere. The reason for me to choose water cooling over air cooling is mostly because I like the challenge and it looks really cool, but also because it makes it a lot easier to cool components efficiently in a small case imo.

I hope this answers your questions! :) 

The problem with all (or most) cases on the market today is, in my opinion, that they are trying to be perfect for everyone. I think that only makes them perfect for nobody and that is why I decided to create my own case. A case that is not perfect for everyone but perfect for some including me, without all the thing I don´t need like 5,25" and 3,5" bays etc.

The finished system will be used for gaming ofc but also video editing with Adobe After Effects and Premiere. The reason for me to choose water cooling over air cooling is mostly because I like the challenge and it looks really cool, but also because it makes it a lot easier to cool components efficiently in a small case imo.

I hope this answers your questions! :)

yes it does make sense and will be interesting to see it come together. it will also be a first i think for the configuration / layout to have the graphics cards on the top and inverted m/board.

got to love Asus components

yes it does make sense and will be interesting to see it come together. it will also be a first i think for the configuration / layout to have the graphics cards on the top and inverted m/board.

I really belive this will turn out awesome. And the invertet mobo is mostly to show off the gpu through the transparent top panel! :)

I really belive this will turn out awesome. And the invertet mobo is mostly to show off the gpu through the transparent top panel! :)

So you're planning to put a curved transparent panel à la ek vulture??

Subbed, dis gon' be gud :D

MAIN Core V21 | i7 5820K @ 4.2 1.21v | Corsair H100i + NF-F12 | Asrock X99M Killer | Crucial Sport 4x4GB 2400 CAS16 @ 2666 CAS15 | 290X DCUII OC @ 1115/1450 1.3v | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + 830 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Corsair AX650

So you're planning to put a curved transparent panel à la ek vulture??

I was thinking about it but realized that it would be hard to make it look good unless you have the right tools. Now it looks like I´ll just go for a transparent top and side but as two different panels...

Ok, new update! :)

I found a case from my brothers old rig just collecting dust in the garage and figured that I probably could use parts from it for this project. It´s an old Cooler Master case with rivets all over the place so I had to bring out the dremel to take it apart. Realized that I could use the PCI and MB I/O plate in the case im building. I think it fits pretty good after some modification, what do you think? I will probably paint it white if I decide to use it!

Nlmr34M.jpg

qvPcAJ1.jpg

CywpF6X.jpg

YYgTTFt.jpg

What model is that CoolerMaster case?

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

What model is that CoolerMaster case?

I think it´s the Elite 430!

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/elite-430-black/

Ok, it´s time for an new update. The project is moving forward fast and the case is almost finished. I will hopefully finish the last small details tomorrow and then post a lot of photos of the final result. After that, ater this week, it´s a special midsummer holiday here in sweden, so I will probaly not post anything until next week. 

But for now, here are some photos taken yesterday of the case with the new front panel as well as front USB and audio. Hope you like it! :)

AiGbMHlh.jpg

zynw28jh.jpg

M1q3Xw1h.jpg

VzrkF3zh.jpg