Can I Cut 3 Inches Off my exhaust pipe?

Guest Philosophy
Go to solution Solved by Genesis1800,

No it would not hurt the car in anyway to cut the tail pipe, however it could hurt you. If the pipe does not go past the bumper then exhaust will get trapped under the car leak into the trunk then into your cab then you pass out then you die. That's why it goes past the bumper. Unless you have a pipe that curves down but in a Mustang you would hit it on every bump you go over, speed bumps would rip your exhaust off.

I have a 1995 Mustang GT, It has a weird exhaust, I want to make so you can't see the pipe, would it hurt in anyway to cut three inches off the exhaust after the muffler to make it not visible?

@techswede

It wouldn't hurt it to cut the pipe. Most people with trucks cut it past the muffler to dump it over the axle.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

It wouldn't hurt it to cut the pipe. Most people with trucks cut it past the muffler to dump it over the axle.

So it would have no adverse effects on the car?

No it would not hurt the car in anyway to cut the tail pipe, however it could hurt you. If the pipe does not go past the bumper then exhaust will get trapped under the car leak into the trunk then into your cab then you pass out then you die. That's why it goes past the bumper. Unless you have a pipe that curves down but in a Mustang you would hit it on every bump you go over, speed bumps would rip your exhaust off.

My cousin who knows about cars says it won't affect anything but it's appearance.

Do you mean the exhaust tip?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I have a 1995 Mustang GT, It has a weird exhaust, I want to make so you can't see the pipe, would it hurt in anyway to cut three inches off the exhaust after the muffler to make it not visible?

@techswede

if you do this, you will have to install a tip that directs the hot exhaust gasses down, or it will cause discoloration of your bumper near the exhaust pipe. you could probably find such a tip that didn't require welding.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=turn+down+exhaust+tip

find the right size tip for your pipe

No it would not hurt the car in anyway to cut the tail pipe, however it could hurt you. If the pipe does not go past the bumper then exhaust will get trapped under the car leak into the trunk then into your cab then you pass out then you die. That's why it goes past the bumper.

Well, that is good to know.. except it does not do that know.. It goes down at an angle... still under the car.  P.S I do not hit it on anything xD

Do you mean the exhaust tip?

Yes

See? 

Bad picture... but the tip is underneath the car by a good inch atleast and angles down at the end. kflFIue.jpg

So it would have no adverse effects on the car?

It doesn't affect trucks as much because you have the cab and the bed. I'm actually thinking about dumping it over the axle on mine, but I haven't because it's v6 and I don't really feel like messing with it. If It was a v8 that's a different story. I do like the 5 speed manual in my truck...

Edit: you could always paint the exhaust with high temp black paint?

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Correct its angled down now, but if you cut it, it most likely will no longer be angled and even if you angle it and its to far under the car, while you are parked the gases will still get in the car, and in your picture it still extends past the bumper and for good reason.

Correct its angled down now, but if you cut it, it most likely will no longer be angled and even if you angle it and its to far under the car, while you are parked the gases will still get in the car.

Thanks for the advise, I might have to fix the weird exhaust... It has like a backwards Y pipe...

:o

You might get some drone, but in reality, no, there will be no issue. Exhaust might stain the car a bit, but you should be fine. 

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

You could easily cut it off and add something like this and it would allow you to have it a bit further back since its adjustable and still come out far enough

GO_1427_Exhaust_Tips_3x.jpg

You could easily cut it off and add something like this and it would allow you to have it a bit further back since its adjustable and still come out far enough

-snip-

I was wanting it hidden because of the weird 1 pipe setup. I will just X pipe it with a couple nice mufflers. 

Yeah the V6 Mustangs only had 1 rear exhaust on them, you could easily go to any muffler place and have them weld a Y after your cat and bring two pipes out the back and get two cherry bombs for a nice sound and throw two nice tips on there max $100 and you get a good sound lol

Yeah the V6 Mustangs only had 1 rear exhaust on them, you could easily go to any muffler place and have them weld a Y after your cat and bring two pipes out the back and get two cherry bombs for a nice sound and throw two nice tips on there max $100 and you get a good sound lol

It's a V8 Mate xD that is why it is so weird, I bought it second hand. It was owned by a mechanic who basically made it a V6, Changed all the badges, body kits, hood and backwards y piped the exhaust. I am trying to put money back into making it a V8 Car. 

100 bucks for all that geez... 

It's a V8 Mate xD that is why it is so weird, I bought it second hand. It was owned by a mechanic who basically made it a V6, Changed all the badges, body kits, hood and backwards y piped the exhaust. I am trying to put money back into making it a V8 Car. 

WOW that is really weird and stupid, but hey the same still applies lol

WOW that is really weird and stupid, but hey the same still applies lol

So you serious about 100 bucks if that is the case Imma do that for sure... 

Cherry bombs are $20-$30, how much ever the pipe will be, welding and bending, and then the tips can be $5-$10

Cherry bombs are $20-$30, how much ever the pipe will be, welding and bending, and then the tips can be $5-$10

Wow that is frickin' sweet I figured it'd me upwards of $500 to do that. I'll have to call a muffle shop. 

Most muffler shops and auto zones will have them, I suggest going to a muffle shop for a full mock up and pricing shouldnt be to bad, I did this exact same thing with my 5.0. Now the bad part is Cherry Bombs are technically illegal in a lot of places so if you are wanting to stay legal check your local laws. Its illegal were I live but it wasnt loud enough to piss people off and still passed emissions.