Top end AIO vs. top end air cooler

I'm back with another AIO topic, lol.

Is there a difference between a top end AIO like the Kraken X61 vs a top end air cooler? Which one will keep the CPU cooler? Not really concerned about noise.

1-5c diffrence but air is quieter and better looking if you ask me

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1-5c diffrence but air is quieter

....How can you possibly say that?

When the OP just asked about AIO vs AIR - as a WHOLE - What you just indicated is that no matter what/versus any AIO cooler, AIR is always quieter?... Is it now..

Slightly far-fetched, IMO. That's like saying "ALL Razer products perform better than ALL Corsair products". There's about 329074 variables in each statement.

Though, you are (somewhat) correct about the difference in degrees. Usually top vs top or bottom vs bottom end will be around that yield, yes.

But saying air is quieter than liquid when there's PLENTY of AIO coolers that are 5x quieter than many AIR coolers really just made my head spin!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Noctua d15 FTW! You can make any aio almost quiet with some good fans .

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

When the OP just asked about AIO vs AIR - as a WHOLE - What you just indicated is that no matter what, or versus which AIO cooler, AIR is always quieter?...

Not only is that wrong, but that's like saying "ALL Razer products look better than ALL Corsair products".

Though, you are (somewhat) correct about the difference in degrees. Usually top vs top or bottom vs bottom end will be around that yield, yes.

But saying air is quieter than liquid when there's PLENTY of AIO coolers that are 5x quieter than near-priced AIR coolers really just made my head spin.

OP said top end ones... A nh-d15 or something of the like will be quieter than something like an x61.

When the OP just asked about AIO vs AIR - as a WHOLE - What you just indicated is that no matter what/versus any AIO cooler, AIR is always quieter?... Is it now..

Slightly far-fetched, IMO. That's like saying "ALL Razer products perform better than ALL Corsair products". There's about 329074 variables in each statement.

But saying air is quieter than liquid when there's PLENTY of AIO coolers that are 5x quieter than near-priced AIR coolers really just made my head spin.

What air coolers are you comparing to? In my experience high end air coolers have always been quieter than high end AIO solutions.

If noise is not of high concern for you, top end AIOs will usually beat out high end air coolers by around 1-5 degrees. I would recommend either the NZXT Kraken X61 or Corsair H110iGT.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

OP said top end ones... A nh-d15 or something of the like will be quieter than something like an x61.

So just because some of Noctua's offerings are quieter - Hell, lets say ALL of Noctua's offerings are quieter than any AIO cooler - How does that equate to ALL air coolers being quieter than liquid? Even in top end.. Although, that in itself is slightly vague.

Trust me, I know.. There are many air coolers that are dead silence and no AIO can compete... But making such a broad statement changes things.

Even in the top end, there are a good amount of AIO's that are pretty damn quiet, to where even other components, such as 2 case fans at Max RPM, will drawn out the AIO cooler(s). And even if what you said IS fact (somehow) in a lot of the top end choices, the dB will be negligible, if noticeable. Again.. not ALL.

PS: Are we forgetting that the RPMs on fans can change the outcome? Along with other variables?

If you're not concerned about noise, an AIO is going to do you better.

That Swiftek H220 is something I'd go for if I was in the market for an AIO, personally.

What you should be concerned about though is mechanical failure, because due to an AIO (or any liquid cooling setup really) has objectively worse failure consequences: worst case scenario you mount the rad the wrong way and the tubes for some reason come undone and get liquid in your system, ruining it; more popular failures are the pumps just not working anymore that I've personally noticed. But don't let that sway you from an AIO because it more than likely won't happen to you, it's just one of the things to take note of when choosing one over a nice air cooling setup.

He did imply that it was his opinion about the aesthetic.

That Swiftek H220 is something I'd go for if I was in the market for an AIO, personally.

What you should be concerned about though is mechanical failure, because due to an AIO (or any liquid cooling setup really) has objectively worse failure consequences: worst case scenario you mount the rad the wrong way and the tubes for some reason come undone and get liquid in your system, ruining it; more popular failures are the pumps just not working anymore that I've personally noticed. But don't let that sway you from an AIO because it more than likely won't happen to you, it's just one of the things to take note of when choosing one over a nice air cooling setup.

Wait, what? Who said anything about aesthetic? I never said he implied anything of the sort... #confused  :blink:

And if we're jumping into the deep end... You guys do realize OP even stated that noise isn't an issue he's concerned with... Right?

Was seriously looking into the H220X but everybody tells me to shy away from Swiftech because of their bad customer service and malfunctions.

Kraken X61 is the next best thing to the H220X apparently so that's what I was going to go with if I decided AIO.

check out the cooling section of my buyers guide in my sig for a more detailed answer

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Wait, what? Who said anything about aesthetic? I never said he implied anything of the sort... #confused  :blink:

His words were "better looking if you ask me".

His words were "better looking if you ask me".

Yes, I know what the dude said... I just don't have a clue how aesthetics are at all relevant to this conversation?

I never once said anything about aesthetics in this thread...

The only thing I was talking about in this topic is the noise level.

Yes, I know what the dude said... I just don't have a clue how aesthetics are at all relevant to this conversation?

I never once said anything about aesthetics in this thread...

Okay, I need to apologize.

Whenever I read this part: "ALL Razer products perform better than ALL Corsair products", I read that as "ALL Razer products look better than ALL Corsair products" for some reason.

Sorry mate.

I like AIOs because they directly spit out the heat to the outside of the case unlike air coolers where there is a chance of the heat getting recirculated in the inside of the case. By the way, I use an air cooler because thats all I can afford LOL :P

Echelon Mk 2.11 

Spoiler
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-6500
  • Cooler: Cryorig H7 (With a 120 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB)
  • Motherboard: MSI B150M Bazooka Plus
  • Memory: 16 (2x8) GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury (Black)
  • Video Card: Sapphire NITRO R9 390 (Stock)
  • Storage:  1 TB Western Digital Blue
  • Power Supply: 520 W Seasonic M12II Evo (with custom extensions and cable combs)
  • Casing: NZXT S340 Elite (Matte Black)
  • Fans: 2x 120 mm & 3x 140 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB
  • Display: 22 " LG Flatron L227WTG-PF LCD (OCed to 76 Hz)
  • Keyboard: Logitech K120
  • Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
  • Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

Okay, I need to apologize.

Whenever I read this part: "ALL Razer products perform better than ALL Corsair products", I read that as "ALL Razer products look better than ALL Corsair products" for some reason.

Sorry mate.

Ohhh, ok now I know what you were referring to.  :D At least now your comment makes sense to me.

And no need to apologize my friend. It's called human error, and unless there's a MetaHuman in here; we're all going to continue making them.

But yeah, I used that particular example just to show how drastic of a difference a vague statement can bring with it.