Removing a damaged screw?

c_marriott
Go to solution Solved by C0LL0SS0S,

get a drill and drill the screw out

I want to open my laptop up but the screw is too damaged to get out. It's turned into more of a circle shape rather than a Philips head.

How do I get it out without breaking the laptop? 9c9775ef5c9576c45b58054065f113ba.jpghopefully you can see it from the image

CPU: FX-6300 GPU: Sapphire R9 380X MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PSU: XFX XTR 550W CASE: Zalman Z11 Plus SSD: Samsung 840 Evo

17 years old, PC Enthusiast for 3. Be gentle with me, I'm only young.

Get Pliers and hope for the best

Because he had a hard drive.

QFT

grab around the edge and hope it isn't too tight

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Theres no room to get grip of it with pliers, tired tweezers too

CPU: FX-6300 GPU: Sapphire R9 380X MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PSU: XFX XTR 550W CASE: Zalman Z11 Plus SSD: Samsung 840 Evo

Try using a flat head.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

You need to cut a ridge in the screw head and use a flathead screwdriver to get it out.

Don't ask me how though, sure there's an engineer around who can tell you the best way.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Using something to try and engrave a pit for a flat head, or try using a flathead and just scraping into it to create one. 

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Take a rubber band and stick it over the head of the screwdriver, then push on it with a bit of force and try removing it.

If that doesn't work, try drilling it out, or use one of those screw extractor things that have the threading reversed, so when you have the drill in reverse it digs into the screw and removes it like that.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Not a good idea, behind the metal is plastic, go a bit to far and your through the keyboard and out the top.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Not a good idea, behind the metal is plastic, go a bit to far and your through the keyboard and out the top.

Well if he's carefull enough and chooses the right bit it should be kinda safe

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

If you're impatient and go as fast as you can, this will happen. But if you take your time and remotely know what you're doing, drilling out a screw is a pretty basic task.

Get a flathead (or a metal pick if you have one), wedge it in as far from the center of the screw as you can, and hit it with a hammer to impact the screw out.  You're going to have really shitty torque transfer though so it's not going to be easy.

If you use a pick it will dig in to the metal and give it better grip.  A knife blade tip could maybe do it, but it will probably mess up the tip.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I want to open my laptop up but the screw is too damaged to get out. It's turned into more of a circle shape rather than a Philips head.

How do I get it out without breaking the laptop? hopefully you can see it from the image

As some others have said since it's a fairly large screw head I'd use a metal file to cut a flat head slot to unscrew it but please use the correct sized bits for the screw, this should rarely happen.

left-handed drill bit in a reversible drill.

the opposite rotation along with the drill bit could unscrew it without outer damage.

if the screw does not come out with that method, now use a larger bit to remove

the head of the damaged screw. remove secured parts and use pliers/vice grips

to remove remanence.

Going to try all of the suggestions later today, I'll let you all know

QFT. there are also drill bits made for this, basically they cut into the screw in the opposite direction and insert a special new screw into that hole, then you just unscrew and voila

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Managed to drill through it, still a little bit left but managed to get a new screw in so should do for now. Thanks for the suggestions0fae8f0e910e4b3f350b17022a27241f.jpg