4690K + gtx 770

Go to solution Solved by Monarch,

The i5 4690k will be a great cpu for at least 3+ years aka being able to max out most/all higher cards.

BS. You've no idea what you're talking about. Try playing GTA V, Witcher 3, BF4 (64p servers) and you'll see that i5's struggle and are unable to maintain 60 fps. These new games, especially open world ones are very CPU intensive as there are a lot of things to handle: a lot of draw calls, complex AI, physics, etc.

i5's are already in between minimum and recommended requirements, and in a year or two they won't be able to run new games at all.

yes

100%

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

a 4690K is still a really good processor and will easily run with a 770

Desktop CPU: Intel i5 2500K Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H GPU: EVGA 660TI 2GB Ram: Kingston 8GB 1333Mhz PSU: Unknown 500w Case: Unknown Hard drive:  WD Black 1TB Heatsink: stock OSWindows 8.1

I know my pc sucks but it does what I want it to do. 

Laptop Dell E6320 OSWindows 8.1 / Ubuntu gnome 15.04

What about the coming Intel Skylake cpu's? Will the I5 4690k still be good for games?

The i5 4690k will be a great cpu for at least 3+ years aka being able to max out most/all higher cards.

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

What about the coming Intel Skylake cpu's? Will the I5 4690k still be good for games?

im still running a 2500k and not having any problems and could still probably put a modern gpu in it with no issues, a 4690k will still last you awhile. probably a few more years, unless they release something that is not just 10% better (which they won't)

Desktop CPU: Intel i5 2500K Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H GPU: EVGA 660TI 2GB Ram: Kingston 8GB 1333Mhz PSU: Unknown 500w Case: Unknown Hard drive:  WD Black 1TB Heatsink: stock OSWindows 8.1

I know my pc sucks but it does what I want it to do. 

Laptop Dell E6320 OSWindows 8.1 / Ubuntu gnome 15.04

The i5 4690k will be a great cpu for at least 2+ years aka being able to max out most/all higher cards.

fix'd

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

a 2500k is still good for games.. If your looking to upgrade it would be more helpful to say what you have and what your looking to do or any issues your having.

A 770 is kinda mid-range (upper mid range) performance these days, 4690k is basically the top CPU you want for gaming at the moment. (without going i7 for edge-cases)

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

No, it will insistently not be able to run games...  

yur 3350 is still capible.. I'd upgrade the GPU and leave the CPU if I were you. (if your profile has correct system spec)

fix'd

I would rather say 1 year than 2 year since Technology evolves really fast.

However, 1+ years is within the 2+ year range :P

So is 6+ months ^^

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System

However, 1+ years is within the 2+ year range :P

So is 6+ months ^^

The pace of change on CPU's has been so slow for that last 4 - 5 gens that I'd say that your good on any modern i5 for probably 2 -3 more years and a 4690k will be fine for at least 4+

Unless something MASSIVE changes.. which it won't (most likely)

Emphatically yes. New Intel CPUs generally bump up per-clock performance by 5–8%, resulting in a situation where even an i5-2500K from 2011 is still a very solid CPU.

I'm still playing new games with an i5-750, actually. I think it was first to use the i5 name. I'm going to upgrade soon, but I can still get nearly everything to 60 FPS.

The pace of change on CPU's has been so slow for that last 4 - 5 gens that I'd say that your good on any modern i5 for probably 2 -3 more years and a 4690k will be fine for at least 4+

Unless something MASSIVE changes.. which it won't (most likely)

Oh ok, I guess the I thought more of the gpu advancements instead of cpu advancements in that case.

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System

BS. You've no idea what you're talking about. Try playing GTA V, Witcher 3, BF4 (64p servers) and you'll see that i5's struggle and are unable to maintain 60 fps. These new games, especially open world ones are very CPU intensive as there are a lot of things to handle: a lot of draw calls, complex AI, physics, etc.

i5's are already in between minimum and recommended requirements, and in a year or two they won't be able to run new games at all.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

Hey, get off your high horse and all that PCMR 60fps+ BS. I enjoy GTA V and the Witcher 3 with my measly i3 at 30-40fps.

And second of all, you are absolutely wrong, the 4690k will max out any game in the coming years. Feel free to prove me wrong anyway time will tell.

GTA 5 maybe and only for MP. There is a few fps difference in i5 and i7 in 90% of games.

CPU_01.png

GTA 5 maybe and only for MP. There is a few fps difference in i5 and i7 in 90% of games.

-snip-

This benchmark is misleading. There's a big difference between an i5 and i7 in CPU-bound situations, like in Novigrad in W3. Especially when you look at frame times. 

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

Well, my original comment said 6+ months then another person said 3+ years so I changed it to 2 years, since I wasn't sure.

But according to you I am correct, which is ironic because you say "I have no idea what I am talking about"..

"Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:22 PM

However, 1+ years is within the 2+ year range  :P

So is 6+ months ^^"

That op (@pcnoob99) didn't even read my original comments or my comment after that cpu comment troubles me.. 

I am fine with that you didn't read my comment, however that you say that "I have no idea what I am talking about" even though you haven't even read all my comments is rather weird to me ..

I'll admit that I am not a professional, but I never said that I were either.

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System

currently running a 4690k and 770 and cant complain :) lets me play whatever i want rather comfortably. i plan on adding another 770 towards the end of the summer

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

The thing about i7s is that they are better than i5s if and only if developers go out of their way to code for multithreaded efficiency. Relatively few games can use the eight logical cores that i7s offer over the four that i5s have, so in the vast majority of cases you don't get any benefit. There will be exceptions, and you have named basically all of them.

Well, my original comment said 6+ months then another person said 3+ years so I changed it to 2 years, since I wasn't sure.

But according to you I am correct, which is ironic because you say "I have no idea what I am talking about"..

"Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:22 PM

However, 1+ years is within the 2+ year range   :P

So is 6+ months ^^"

That op (@pcnoob99) didn't even read my original comments or my comment after that cpu comment troubles me.. 

I am fine with that you didn't read my comment, however that you say that "I have no idea what I am talking about" even though you haven't even read all my comments is rather weird to me ..

I'll admit that I am not a professional, but I never said that I were either.

You are still wrong because i5 is already far from being a great CPU and is already unable to max out most/all higher cards in CPU-bound situations. With that I mean for example Novigrad in Witcher 3, city in GTA V, etc.

The thing about i7s is that they are better than i5s if and only if developers go out of their way to code for multithreaded efficiency. Relatively few games can use the eight logical cores that i7s offer over the four that i5s have, so in the vast majority of cases you don't get any benefit. There will be exceptions, and you have named basically all of them.

BF4, BFH, Watch Dogs, Witcher 3, GTA V, Dying Light... pretty much all latest AAA titles can use and require more than 4 threads/cores. Especially open world games. If you look at requirements, they all recommend i7's, and for a good reason. i5's are able to run these games at lower fps and micro-stuttering. There are ton of complains on GTA V over at Steam forums for having 100% CPU usage and stuttering and they all blame Rockstar. Do you know why? Because they were told i5's are fine for gaming. 

And with DX12 around the corner, games will utilize CPUs with 4+ cores even more. It's one of its main features. 4 core CPUs won't benefit much from it as their all cores are already maxed out.

4690K is still a decent CPU. It can run latest games at playable framerates. But let's stop living in the past. i7's are now definitely needed for smooth 60 fps gaming.

With that said, @pcnoob99 4690k is a decent match for the GTX 770 if you're not planning on adding another 770 down the road, or upgrading to a faster GPU. Though I presonally would go for an i7 anyway because depending on resolution you're playing at, it's very possible to run into a CPU bottleneck where even a single 770 is being under-utilized. I'll give you an example. I go to Novigrad in Witcher 3, all 4 cores are pegged at 100%, GPU usage is ~60%.  I believe even a 770 would be bottlenecked here, though not as much.This is at 1080p.

This benchmark is misleading. There's a big difference between an i5 and i7 in CPU-bound situations, like in Novigrad in W3. Especially when you look at frame times. 

Depends what you consider a bottleneck or big difference. Buying an i7 will have less impact on your fps in 95% of games than buying a 50-100$ more gpu. Gaming wise your gpu should be the most expensive item on your pc always. 

Buying an i7 will give you what 5-10 fps difference at best.  Buying a gtx 980 ti will give you much more and more vram and gaming gains. Honestly if you have choice of i7 vs better gpu get the gpu every time. 

You are still wrong because i5 is already far from being a great CPU and is already unable to max out most/all higher cards in CPU-bound situations. With that I mean for example Novigrad in Witcher 3, city in GTA V, etc.

I'll start of by saying that "great" is subjective.

But, it can play nearly all games with maxed out gpus.

I don't know anything about Witcher 3, but as far as I know there isn't a whole lot of people that plays that game (this is also a subjective thought/idea).

Novigrad is an intensive map?

As for GTA V, I haven't seen a single system that can play it flawlessly on maxed out settings.

For example; Jaystwocents used one 5960x or w/e it's called with titan X's and/or a build with 290x's 8gb v-ram and he couldn't get smooth 60+ fps.

It doesn't need to be perfect to be a great cpu..

I would like to hear more about what gpu's it can't max out, since it has maxed out every gpu that I've seen so far.

"4690K is still a decent CPU. It can run latest games at playable framerates. But let's stop living in the past. i7's are now definitely needed for smooth 60 fps gaming."

I agree that if you only play AAA/latest games (I don't even know what AAA stands for xD) then an i7 would be pretty good/better.

However, if you say that that a 4690k is not worth to get for general gaming (some AAA titles, but mostly older games) then I will doubt everything you say.

I'll end with saying that I am not a professional and I am not really qualified to determine what is the best for w/e.

One thing that I have pretty good knowledge about is gaming performance though and while i7's are becoming more and more useful i5's will still be fine for at least 1 year.

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System

Hey, get off your high horse and all that PCMR 60fps+ BS. I enjoy GTA V and the Witcher 3 with my measly i3 at 30-40fps.

And second of all, you are absolutely wrong, the 4690k will max out any game in the coming years. Feel free to prove me wrong anyway time will tell.

Why did you like his comment if you disagree with what he has to say?

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case