How to fix LoL unreasonably high ping?

itachipirate

Hi I've been playing League of Legends for a little over one ranked season. (Not sure how long it has been) When I started playing, my ping averaged around 80. Now after they moved the server closer to me (I live in new york) My ping averages 110-140. This is ridiculous. My ping on the LAN server (FURTHER AWAY FROM ME!) averages 65-75. And my ping on EUW is the same as on NA. Why is the server that I could drive to giving me the same latency as the server across the entire world? I was watching CLG DoubleLift stream, he played a few games at 110 ping (He usually gets around 20-40) and he basically said it was unplayable. I'm wondering if having lower ping in a game like League of Legends makes that big a difference.

Is there any way for me to lower my ping? WTFast etc. is not helpful to me because I've measured packet loss and there's practically none. I've also tried WTFast and there's no difference in ping

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Do other people in your area get the same or similar ping as you? Have you tried repairing the client or reinstalling the game? 

Do other people in your area get the same or similar ping as you? Have you tried repairing the client or reinstalling the game? 

I've reinstalled and used on two computers. Everyone in my area has around the same ping as me

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Unfortunately latency is not something you can really fix, as it is determined by the routing paths your traffic takes to get to the destination, which is almost entirely outside of your control. About the only thing you could do is get a different ISP. A 30-60ms ping difference really isn't that bad, that's less than a 10th of a second in difference.

It is entirely possible for a server next-door to have a higher latency than a server in the next city due to the path your traffic has to take between ISPs, and how congested those paths may be.

I get 90-100 most of the time which is playable but I die a lot more than I would with a lower ping because I could flash out of the way of stuff or use heal or things like that. I've always wanted to see what it would be like to play at a tournament where the server is local and you can get a ping of less than 10... Nothing you can do to decrease your ping besides moving to California or somewhere that most people get a good connection.

Oh, at my friend's house we get like 60-70 ping but I'm pretty sure that's because he's on cable instead of DSL.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

Is your ISP in the list towards the bottom of the first post here? If not, then hopefully your ISP can come to an agreement with Riot. There's not much else you can do I guess.

Is your ISP in the list towards the bottom of the first post here? If not, then hopefully your ISP can come to an agreement with Riot. There's not much else you can do I guess.

I have Time Warner Cable, it's on that list but my latency still makes no sense

I have Time Warner Cable, it's on that list but my latency still makes no sense

Well, short of moving to the west coast (that's where CLG is) or complaining to your ISP and Riot, there really isn't much that you can do.