Is 2ms really that much of a difference from 5ms??

Ngrungebb91

I currently have a 2ms 1080p TN panel monitor and as much as I love it, i would love even more to upgrade to an IPS or PLS 1440p monitor. Now does 5ms really have that much of a difference for lag? is it really that bad? I see people bitch and moan about it and I dont understand. Before this monitor I had a 4ms 1440x900 monitor and I played FPS's on that till it died..

Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-E Processor - Intel i7 930 Bloomfield OC'd @ 4.01Ghz, 1.28v | RAM - 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-12, 1600mhz | Graphics Card - EVGA Geforce GTX660 SC 3GB @ +75mhz core, +500mhz mem | Power Supply - Seasonic X650 Gold

CPU Cooler, Fans - Corsair H-90 w/ Noctua FN14 push/pull, Gelid Wings UV Blue  | Case - Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2 |

2ms to 5ms has no difference and isn't discernable by the human eye.

Some people notice it, most don't. It's preference. I have actually run a test on my friend with different monitors who claims to be able to tell the difference, and he honestly can. I however cannot.

You won't be able to tell the difference, difficult enough to tell the difference between 10ms and 5ms.

Good Morning...

You will only be able to notice it if you play at a pro level or are just FREAKISHLY good at FPS games. For me I go for quality over the response time.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Give it like 5 years someone will find a way to get IPS quality on .5ms on a 4K monitor

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Let me show you why response time is meaningless.

Lets compare 2 monitors to showcase this. The Dell U2410 and the ViewSonic VX2739wm with its special TN panel with 1ms response time. So we should expect 6 time faster result than the U2410.

The measurements bellow, are made by TFTCentral, an in depth monitor review site with extreamly high standard, where there is no perfect or even close monitor with them.

The Dell U2410 has a 6ms response time, it's an IPS panel, and it's 1920x1200 resolution (so the resolution is higher than the next one we will compare, so in result, it should be slower. The more vertical lines of pixels you have, the slower the response time, as the monitor draws line by line from top to bottom.) This has everything on its side to be slow.

The ViewSonic VX2739wm has a lower resolution of 1920x1080, and rated to be a mighty 1 ms response time. It is a TN panel. Lets have a look at the comparison:

dell_u2410.jpg

viewsonic_vx2739wm.jpg

Oh!... what a disappointment. The U2410 wins by a bit. Well someone is lying in their test.. of they are not.

The problem with response time measurement is that they are measured using gray-to-gray. That means, that the manufcature gets to use 2 gray colors of their choice, and not limited to the same one, and measures how fast the monitor takes to refresh a pixel on the screen. They take the best results they got, and voila!

So, someone is using the same gray color, or almost, and delivers what is essentially a false level expectation.

Read reviews, don't look at response time.

So don't get fooled with the numbers. Check reviews!

I was told that the response time on my Toshiba 32" 720p tv was 8 ms I believe and I never notice any problems in gaming or movies or anything. I miss that tv. My experience with monitors and my new tv used as a monitor makes me really miss it.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S