Need a four port 1GBE nic card that can run in teaming

robbiesoto

I need a 4 port 1gigabit network card for my computer running teaming mode for an effective 4gigabit connection to my router. Any suggestions???

A little knowledge is very dangerous
CPU: I7 6700K CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro H110i Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero GPU: 2x Asus GTX980 STRIX RAM: 4x4 (16GB) Corsair DDR4 Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 750GB SSD PSU: Corsair HX1000W Displays: 2xAsus PB287Q (4k) 2x1080 Monitors Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Mouse: 1xRazor Naga Elite 2x Razor Naga Sound: Asus Essence STX, Quad Elite Pre Amp, Quad 909 Power Amp, Monitor Audio GR20 Speakers Headphones: Logitech G930, Sennheiser Momentum Black Microphone: Rode NT1-A, Behringer Xenyx 802, Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro EQ OS: Windows 7 64bit

I'm a content creator and I do lots of video editing with about 100gb of footage per project. I want to set up a FreeNas server and use premiere pro to edit the video straight off the nas. I also plan to make a small network rendering server so I can send everything to render on that server and also maybe run a minecraft server on it maybe.

I'm a content creator and I do lots of video editing with about 100gb of footage per project. I want to set up a FreeNas server and use premiere pro to edit the video straight off the nas. I also plan to make a small network rendering server so I can send everything to render on that server and also maybe run a minecraft server on it maybe.

Well 4x1gb connections will not give you 4gbit

If you are lucky each device connecting to your freenas will get its own 1gbit connection.

If you need faster than 1gbit between 2 hosts you should consider 10gbit instead, however if this is for between 1-2 computers and your freenas, why do you need 4gbit to your router?

A little knowledge is very dangerous
CPU: I7 6700K CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro H110i Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero GPU: 2x Asus GTX980 STRIX RAM: 4x4 (16GB) Corsair DDR4 Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 750GB SSD PSU: Corsair HX1000W Displays: 2xAsus PB287Q (4k) 2x1080 Monitors Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Mouse: 1xRazor Naga Elite 2x Razor Naga Sound: Asus Essence STX, Quad Elite Pre Amp, Quad 909 Power Amp, Monitor Audio GR20 Speakers Headphones: Logitech G930, Sennheiser Momentum Black Microphone: Rode NT1-A, Behringer Xenyx 802, Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro EQ OS: Windows 7 64bit

Well 4x1gb connections will not give you 4gbit

If you are lucky each device connecting to your freenas will get its own 1gbit connection.

If you need faster than 1gbit between 2 hosts you should consider 10gbit instead, however if this is for between 1-2 computers and your freenas, why do you need 4gbit to your router?

What do you suggest? My network has one main computer, a FreeNas, and a rendering server and flexibility to connect another server, the reason I wanted a 4 port gbe cards for my devices is because I want to upgrade to 10gbe in a couple of years, two computers will need to have lightning speed to the FreeNas when I'm doing heavy video editing and rendering.

The above is correct, teaming cards together will not give you a 4Gbps throughput. It doesn't work like that. 

For example, if your FreeNAS had 4x1gbps cards and you had set them all up in teaming (and your switches supported LACP along with many other factors) then when one client access the NAS, they would get max speed. Then when 3 more clients start accessing, theoritically they would also get max speed (probably some loss) however when a 5th joins, they link speeds will be reduced for all. 4Gbps card would effectively allow you to have 4x1Gbps clients working at full speed.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

To even be able to do NIC teaming you need to have a switch that will allow that. And I heard that with some Intel Quad NICs you are able to achieve 4Gbps it will effectively cost you around $1200 USD for 2 cards and a switch. And we return to my previous comment, without some serious money you can only dream and hope to achieve any of this.

Running a 1Gbps network is a far better choice, for now. Because you will effectively be able to achieve ~120MB/s read/write speeds which is the max read/write speed of quite a few HDDs. And if that is not enough you can always run separate ethernet lines for other programs.

To even be able to do NIC teaming you need to have a switch that will allow that. And I heard that with some Intel Quad NICs you are able to achieve 4Gbps it will effectively cost you around $1200 USD for 2 cards and a switch. And we return to my previous comment, without some serious money you can only dream and hope to achieve any of this.

Running a 1Gbps network is a far better choice, for now. Because you will effectively be able to achieve ~120MB/s read/write speeds which is the max read/write speed of quite a few HDDs. And if that is not enough you can always run separate ethernet lines for other programs.

Thanks I'm new at networking and I'm just excited I Guess but as long as my network is not a bottle neck that's all I want!! Thanks