Upgraded to 970 getting lower fps on lower end games

odevries

Hey guys,

I recently upgraded from the Asus GTX 760 to the Asus GTX 970, on higher end games such as the Witcher 3 its a huge improvement (from low to ultra/high). However on lower end games such as League of Legends and Minecraft my FPS actually went down a lot. Anyone have an idea why? I have installed all the latest drivers. 

Rest of specs (if that matters):

I5 4670k @ 3.4ghz

8GB RAM

Asus z97k

GTX 970

1TB Western Digital HDD

Thanks

Hey guys,

I recently upgraded from the Asus GTX 760 to the Asus GTX 970, on higher end games such as the Witcher 3 its a huge improvement (from low to ultra/high). However on lower end games such as League of Legends and Minecraft my FPS actually went down a lot. Anyone have an idea why? I have installed all the latest drivers. 

Rest of specs (if that matters):

I5 4670k @ 3.4ghz

8GB RAM

Asus z97k

GTX 970

1TB Western Digital HDD

Thanks

Are your drivers up to date?  You should easily get 200+ FPS on LoL maxed out.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

What fps are you getting?

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

What fps are you getting?

I am getting around 250 fps so really nothing to complain about however thats the same as when i had the 760, however on minecraft its more drastic: I used to get up to 1000fps now i get a mere 120 ish.

I am getting around 250 fps so really nothing to complain about however thats the same as when i had the 760, however on minecraft its more drastic: I used to get up to 1000fps now i get a mere 120 ish.

Welcome to LinusDontBeAnFPSFreakWhenNotNeededTips!

Your monitor, unless it's 120/140 hz, can't show any more than 60 FPS!

Until next time!

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Welcome to LinusDontBeAnFPSFreakWhenNotNeededTips!

Your monitor, unless it's 120/140 hz, can't show any more than 60 FPS!

Until next time!

Isn't that only if you have vsync on?

Sometimes at high fps like 1000fps cards can make a coil whine noise, so i'm guessing its limiting the fps to prevent coil whine.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

Ah, so you are new to this stuff!

Allow me to explain! (Sorry if I came over like I was an a****** before :P)

Monitors have a refresh rate, measured in Hz. That's how much times they refresh their images per second (I think it was seconds, not sure).

The standard right now is 60Hz. Meaning that, 60 times per second, your frames get refreshed. If you get 70 frames per second, it won't matter. Only 60 of these will be shown.

If you have an high end panel though (120Hz/144Hz), it will show 120FPS/144FPS or lower.

V-Sync, on the other hand, is something that is quite bad in quite some ways, in as much ways as it is good.

If you get more FPS than the monitors refresh rate, screen tearing can occur. This can become annoying (this is partially resolved in some monitors using G-Sync or Free-Sync, but that's a story for another time).

So, V-Sync was made (since G/Free-Sync didn't exist back than). V-Sync is a software in the software itself. First, it reads how much Hz the monitor has. After that, it forces your graphics card to pause for some time if it tries to get higher than your monitors refresh rate. So if you would get 61FPS+ on a 60 Hz monitor with V-Sync on, your Graphics Card will wait until the monitor has catched up.

Is screen tearing annoying? To some people, yeah. If it burdens you too much, you can turn on V-Sync. But since V-Sync has it's own flaws, G/Free-Sync has been created.

Edited by Stijncat

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

The GPU will render as many frames as it can in a given amount of time, the monitor however will refresh the display at a fixed rate (60 times per second, 120 times per second, etc.). So even if the GPU is rendering 120 frames per second, the monitor can only "show" 60 of those frames, which is why you get tearing if the rendered fps does not match the monitor's refresh rate (VSync).

Personally I don't see any point in making the GPU render more frames than your monitor can display. If I have a 60 Hz monitor, I'll always VSync to 60 fps.

... i never got 1000 fps on my gtx 760....

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

however on minecraft its more drastic: I used to get up to 1000fps now i get a mere 120 ish.

Umm...

OP?

I'm going to quote Paul (Watch between 5:00 an 6:00 if you don't believe me)

Benchmarks said, basically, averaging around 300 frames per second.

Now, I would like you to explain how your old GTX 760 beats 4 WAY SLI GTX TITAN'S.

Basic guide to CPU's!

k. I'm gonna lock down the issue with this topic aside from the fact that OP doesn't understand monitor refresh rates in relation to rendering + displaying frames.

Minecraft is a CPU bound/bottlenecked game and poorly optimized and coded in all regards. So is League of Legends to a lesser extent. You are better off testing with high grade AAA titles to see the difference in power between hardware. I get around 800 fps standing still and 400 fps moving around on my GTX 970. The difference between 1000 fps and 300 fps is no useful indicator of performance. Older titles and indie titles can definitely have less support for software and hardware which leads to them also having this problem. Your Witcher 3 results are the reliable results.

/thread

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

970's are finicky on when to boost sometimes in lower-end games.

Check your GPU clockspeed while gaming.

Umm...

OP?

I'm going to quote Paul (Watch between 5:00 an 6:00 if you don't believe me)

Now, I would like you to explain how your old GTX 760 beats 4 WAY SLI GTX TITAN'S.

Perhaps there was a mistake then :D