Aerocool Cube Cases - Opinions & Mods

I have all this extra time waiting for the new aftermarket cooler GTX 980 TI's and Windows 10 to hit the market. So here is another PC chassis thread. What do you think about this case?

I'm revisiting the Aerocool DS Cube as a mATX horizontal format case. Here are some small thumbnail images. Go to the product page link for more detail: 

thumb_ds_1.jpg thumb_ds_5.jpg thumb_ds_7.jpg thumb_ds_9.jpg thumb_ds_11.jpg

I have a few issues with it even though overall it is said to be a fine case. The wrap around edge vent slots are not filtered and I don't see a way of adding removable mesh filters. The only solution that I can come up with is to use the included optional top mesh with fans as the main air intake and create enough positive pressure to force airflow out the edge vents all around. That means reversing the big front fan to blow towards the vented front panel. There is no front mesh anyway.

As an alternative I could keep the front fan as an intake and a magnetic mesh sheet could be placed to cover the steel front frame. If I glued mesh inside the vented edges I think the plastic roof panel is removable some way for cleaning them. I'd still add at least one roof fan as an intake.

Also an oversize height GPU card's power connectors would get in the way of the lower FDD bay so that and maybe the upper optical drive bay would have to be removed. Aerocool should have at least offset the drive bay(s) off to the side away from the GPU slot. No biggie though because I plan on using an external USB 3.0 optical drive/burner.

Also Aerocool doesn't make the optional side window panel. Several aftermarket companies do. But I wish there were also a window panel for the opposite side. I'm contemplating having to mod both regular walled panels for custom window openings to give it an original look. I've seen others have done this and the results are pleasing.

"Superb airflow - install up to 4 fans !!"

1. Front - 120mm x1 or 140mm x1 or 200mm x1 (1 x 20cm Black fan included )
2. Top - 120mm x2 or 140mm x2 (Optional)
3. Rear - 120mm x1 or 140mm x1 (1 x 12cm Black fan included )

24.jpg

Hi, I have the DS Cube, I think its an OK case out-the-box but a great case if you're willing to put in a little extra effort to make it work for you.

Out-The-Box:

1. There is barely any airflow from the front 200mm fan

2. To get adequate airflow from the front fan, it wont be quiet.

3. If you have a modular power supply, attach all the cables you need beforehand because the lower harddrive cage isn't removable

4. No filters - so keep your surroundings clean or clean the components regularly  :D

Recommendations:

1. Get fans for the top and install the mesh filter ASAP

2. Run the 200mm front fan the lowest speed possible, or replace it

I'll upload some pics soon so you can see the clearance for graphics cards and drive bays

Blood-Box (Current) - 4790K @ 4.4GHz 1.175v | MSI Z97M GamingMSI R9 290 TF | 16GB ADATA XPG v1.0 CL9 | patiently waiting on the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3 | Corsair RM650 | Noctua NH-U12S | OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD

Feishi (Gift to my bro) - 4770K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z87 UD5H | Gigabyte GTX 760 WFx3 2.0 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 CL9 | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-C14 | Seagate 2TB HDD

As an alternative this may be an improved version?

Aerocool Strike-X Cube - Black Edition

SX_BK_ISO.pngSX_BK_BACK-LIFT1.png

Improved?

Or just made to look like the vomit box.

On topic.

I think its a decent case, interesting, but there are better options.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Ze pics.....

I replaced the front 200mm fan for an NZXT 200mm, its quieter and moves more air.

I also drilled holes in the front to help get 'moar flow'  B)

post-18135-0-40128300-1433631969_thumb.j

In terms of drive bay clearance, you might have to remove the 3 1/2 bay for the graphics card if its oversized and also remove the 5 1/4 for the power cables if they are in the way.

post-18135-0-40730800-1433631972_thumb.j

Blood-Box (Current) - 4790K @ 4.4GHz 1.175v | MSI Z97M GamingMSI R9 290 TF | 16GB ADATA XPG v1.0 CL9 | patiently waiting on the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3 | Corsair RM650 | Noctua NH-U12S | OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD

Feishi (Gift to my bro) - 4770K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z87 UD5H | Gigabyte GTX 760 WFx3 2.0 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 CL9 | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-C14 | Seagate 2TB HDD

The other cube case that I like, well its company is in some controversy now (TT V21) so I feel weird about it. I'm not sure what I'll end up with. Might not even be a cube as the Phanteks Evolv series are nice wide tower cases. I'm looking for ones with large air cooler clearance up to around 170mm for ITX or mATX format cases. Just exploring my choices.

The Phanteks Evolv is gorgeous, if it was available when I was building my rig last year it would be my case of choice, no ifs or buts about that.

Yea, the ball is in your court bro, so explore.

The Phanteks Evolv is gorgeous, if it was available when I was building my rig last year it would be my case of choice, no ifs or buts about that.

You mean the original mATX Evolv or the new ITX? I think the ITX appearance-wise looks much nicer but of course it's more budget friendly not being an aluminum case.

You mean the original mATX Evolv or the new ITX? I think the ITX appearance-wise looks much nicer but of course it's more budget friendly not being an aluminum case.

I mean the original mATX, the ITX looks great as well but I need the expansion of mATX motherboards