not sure really. Having to reset CMOS

danBrown

Hello,

Lately I've been having this issue where I turn the PC on and it seems to turn on ok, the fans are good, the keyboard goes through its usual light flicker when it turns on, however nothing comes up on the screen. I restart / turn off -> restart and still nothing shows up on the screen. Generally after doing this 2-3 times the next time the fans ramp up to 100% and just nothing happens. At this point I flip out the battery on the motherboard, put it back in, turn pc on and it comes up with bios stuff (go to last good settings.. or something like that) after that it just restarts normally, then after some peroid of time (a day, a few weeks) it will do it again. Only happened a few times but it is incredibly annoying and make me worry a little bit. 

I'm wondering what might be causing this, and possible solutions into fixing this.

i5 2500k (no overclock... its a lemon)

z68 ud3r b3 gigabyte motherboard

gskill ripjaws 8g ram 1600

r9 280x MSI

kingston ssd 250g

thanks.

Motherboard could be going to **** but make sure you test other pc parts properly.  Testing the psu wth a multimeter is something you can do and if you won't do that then maybe borrow a psu from a friend, family or whoever and see if it makes things ok.  Also something that came to mind and I need this confirmed by someone else but can't a CMOS battery die but you can replace it?  Maybe the situation calls for that here.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Motherboard could be going to **** but make sure you test other pc parts properly. Testing the psu wth a multimeter is something you can do and if you won't do that then maybe borrow a psu from a friend, family or whoever and see if it makes things ok. Also something that came to mind and I need this confirmed by someone else but can't a CMOS battery die but you can replace it? Maybe the situation calls for that here.

yup they can die. They take standard batteries so they should be easy to find.

Before you buy one just remove the battery for 10-15 minutes and put it back that should work. It has happened to me many times.

Hello

Change the battery,

You could try, although I have no idea why or how, but I have a 2500k and an Asus z68-v and mine would either do a Phantom boot once or not boot at all. I would have to power off the system from the wall 2-3 times every now and then.

Removing all the fans from the fan headers and putting them on a dedicated fan controller has got rid of both those problems.

It's been holding strong for well over a year now with no boot problems.

It's not a race to the bottom.