how to set up sub

spwath

I got a sub for my 5.0 system, how do I set it up?

Why Is there a place for the speakers to pass through? Do I use the rca input on sub?

Also, where should I put it?

Directly in front of me, under my desk, in the corner (all one place)?

Or some where else?

Link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/polk-audio-psw-series-10-active-subwoofer-black/9154073.p?id=1218992517913&skuId=9154073&pid=1218992517913

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

There's a speaker pass-through likely because it has it's own crossover built into it along with the amp (since it's an active speaker).

I suspect RCA, yes.

placement of subs usually don't matter as they are omnidirectional.

Dude. No way.

I have the exact same sub. You can either use RCA or a subwoofer cable

As for placement, shouldn't matter, just put it on the floor wherever :P

(Also it is a great sub, you'll enjoy it ^_^)

Dude. No way.

I have the exact same sub. You can either use RCA or a subwoofer cable

As for placement, shouldn't matter, just put it on the floor wherever :P

(Also it is a great sub, you'll enjoy it ^_^)

K.

I am getting it that. My 5.0 Is missing the sub.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

placement of subs usually don't matter as they are omnidirectional.

But then you put it in a room and resonances and reflections will influence the sound big time. So experimenting with the placement is a good idea.

easiest blanket statement for a sub is to corner load it. it will be noticeably different in most any roomtype

easiest blanket statement for a sub is to corner load it. it will be noticeably different in most any roomtype

k.

Whats with the impossible to read text?

Would a sub be the best thing to get from best buy for 100$?

k.

Whats with the impossible to read text?

dark theme user. until a week ago I didn't have to change font color to see my own typing. something changed... guess I haven't changed dark themes yet. 

One more question,

Phase, i can set to 0 or 180. What does it do?

And Low Pass?

One more question,

Phase, i can set to 0 or 180. What does it do?

And Low Pass?

The "Low Pass" dial is used to set the highest frequency that the sub will play (aka the range of frequency it won't remove from the audio). I would set this to the higher end, it won't go high enough to damage the sub by design.

The "Phase" switch is to set an offset of the phase of the sub. "0" which will play the sound the way that it is input into the RCA jacks, whereas "180" will offset thewaveform by 180 degrees. "180" essentially makes the cone of the sub pulse out instead of in and in instead of out, resulting in the same sound while preventing interference with speakers that are running in "reverse".

I hope this explaination is enough, feel free to ask for more info :)

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

The "Low Pass" dial is used to set the highest frequency that the sub will play (aka the range of frequency it won't remove from the audio). I would set this to the higher end, it won't go high enough to damage the sub by design.

The "Phase" switch is to set an offset of the phase of the sub. "0" which will play the sound the way that it is input into the RCA jacks, whereas "180" will offset thewaveform by 180 degrees. "180" essentially makes the cone of the sub pulse out instead of in and in instead of out, resulting in the same sound while preventing interference with speakers that are running in "reverse".

I hope this explaination is enough, feel free to ask for more info :)

OK, that makes sence, thanks

OK, that makes sence, thanks

These two diagrams together explain quite well why the "Phase" switch exists:

diagram8.gif

This shows how the waves cancel each other out when the phases are opposite

6acd38d48065ef988dddb89df4f1dd9c.png

This shows how the cancelling would affect your speakers.

Being a large speaker the sub would case very noticable interference and would make the audio sound strange and broken.

Speaker wire comes in coloured pairs for a reason :)

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

But sometimes the sub is further away so if the speakers would be electrically in phase they may still be acousticly out of phase.

Just experiment with it.