Apple iPad Mini Review

NinjaStyle013

For my 100th post I thought I would review the device that I've done the majority of my forum posting with.

Let's push the apple thing out of the way first. No need for fanboys here I'm not talking about desktops.

I brought this as a sort of impulse buy when I saw the price. I needed a tablet for school as I have always been a very bad handwriter but good typist. It also comes as a bonus that a ton of my books are now gone from my bag.

The price was a big selling point. $480 NZD dollars for the non-3G 16GB model. In New Zealand this is a damn good deal for what you get. This is the price apple sells it at online and also the price Noel Leeming sells it for, the shop where I got it.

Now, why is this a damn good deal?

Hardware

The ipad mini is essentially an iPad 2 , it shares the same CPU but I'm unsure of RAM. It comes in with 16GB of storage and also you get free iCloud storage. Don't think that this storage space is a limitation either, I have a full page of games each over 500mb at the minimum, some reaching the 2gb mark and I still have 6.1GB.

In terms of real world performance the mini is able to run games like Infinity Blade 2 and GTA Vice City without any real problems. I have noticed that the draw distance on Vice however is a bit sketchy.

It has two cameras, front and rear. The rear will shoot 1080p video and take 5 megapixel photos while the front will do 720p with 1.2 megapixel photos. Considering the price of this tablet the fact you get 2 HD cameras is astounding. The front camera is used mainly for FaceTime which allows anyone to have to have face to face chats as long as they are on an iOS device. Shooting video I couldn't see been used to create large video or certainly not store them but for short videos its perfect.

Display

Here's where apple would of saved costs. The display is not a retina display. This in my opinion doesn't matter at all. The screen size is about 7.8 inches by 5.3 inches and you get a resolution of 1024x768 which is of course 720p. In my usage I have never come across a scenario where the screen was too low quality. If I put the screen up to my face I can just begin to trace out pixels. There are a few cases such as on anything round where you begin to get that distinctive pixel look but it's barely there. It also is an LED IPS panel with a viewing angle of 109 degrees so you're friends won't have to all huddle in to see a photo or video.

You also get one of the best touchscreens ever. It never ever misses a touch at all and it's strong as all hell. Like really strong you won't scratch this screen unless you use like a nail.

A massive bonus of this small screen too is the fact you can use it landscape and type with your thumbs! Doing that on an iPad I found extremely uncomfortable. This is seriously one of the best things about it.

Sound

Here's the bad point. The response range goes all the way down to 20hz but there isn't any bass at all compared to a proper speaker or headset. The positioning of the speakers on the bottom is also a pain as if you are playing a game like Real Racing 3 that requires landscape your hand blocks the audio meaning you have to hold it with like a claw grip.

Another issue with the speakers being on the bottom is that when you hold the iPad in landscape mode the audio becomes a bit mono sounding.

Build Quality

The device is extremely sturdy with no flex at all. It has a nice aluminium backing which also dissipates heat very well, I never feel it getting warm. The glass which must be Gorilla Glass will put a damn good fight too but you still don't wanna be dropping it. Usual Apple quality.

My one complaint is that the aluminium will get scratched. If you want to keep it pretty put a case on. The scratches probably won't be bad but they still exist.

I'm putting the battery stuff here. I can have the mini get down to 30 percent and leave it on charge for an hour and it will be at 70 percent. The battery life lasts me days also. I could go a week if I didn't game and if I purely used it when required it would last even longer. This being said my wall charger has broken but I am lucky enough to have other chargers around the house. The lightning cable is also very nice as it isn't bulky and it goes in either way which is fantastic.

Software

It ships with iOS 6 which is not as unlocked as android at all but it still runs damn great and I have never had it crash on me at all. The looks aren't android or metro looking but with iOS 7 on the way it will be. This is very much a individual thing as everyone has their preferences.

Overall

I think that anyone looking for a sub 500 NZD tablet should buy a mini. It is amazing bang for buck. It's like the 7770 of tablets. If you need a more high power machine however the mini isn't that. If you are a student who needs something for notes and light gaming (GTA is a ton of fun) the mini is perfect. If you need video editing, custom ROMs or image editing the mini just isn't there which is fine.

I would give it a 9/10 in terms of price point performance. It's just able to offer so much and I haven't even scratched the surface of the kind of apps that will fully utilise the Mini.

Good review, I'm happy with mine too, though I dropped it onto a hard floor a few days ago and cracked the glass at the top near the camera.

The lightning cable is also very nice as it isn't bulky and it goes in either way which is fantastic.

This. about time.

Anyways, good review! I really like the size of the mini versus the normal ipad - perfect for general tablet use around the house/travel. Battery life really is a huge factor for most when it comes to tablets, and it looks like you suggested it's quite good!

Good review, I'm happy with mine too, though I dropped it onto a hard floor a few days ago and cracked the glass at the top near the camera.

Damn that sucks man should get the warranty out on it

This. about time.

Anyways, good review! I really like the size of the mini versus the normal ipad - perfect for general tablet use around the house/travel. Battery life really is a huge factor for most when it comes to tablets, and it looks like you suggested it's quite good!

Yeah, the battery is absurdly good on this. I have my brightness low and you could save even more by closing unused apps

Damn that sucks man should get the warranty out on it

Not worth it when I can replace it myself instead of getting Apple Care.

Not worth it when I can replace it myself instead of getting Apple Care.

If you had it for less than 1 year, the repair is most likely free. Chris Pirillo (YouTuber) dropped his iPhone and Apple replaced the whole phone.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Very good and thorough Review! 

I bought an IPad Mini for my Mom, she only plays Candy Crush.....

Anyways.. I use it in the toilet some times... HAHA!  :lol:

Spoiler

If you had it for less than 1 year, the repair is most likely free. Chris Pirillo (YouTuber) dropped his iPhone and Apple replaced the whole phone.

well it a mini so less than a year, though smashes weren't covered though?

well it a mini so less than a year, though smashes weren't covered though?

No it should be, Apple takes care of its customers.

Really? I have a friend whose phone got wet, he was caught in a heavy rain and got thoroughly drenched. Well, turned out his iPhone 4S had powered off due to water. He waited a few days for his phone to dry thoroughly and tried powering up. It was a no go, so he took his to the Care Center and was basically told he was SOL, either pay in full for repairs or get a new iPhone........he's using an S3 now. In my neck of the woods, when an iPhone is damaged due to user, the Apple Care Center would not repair it for free even though it's under warranty. I don't see how Mac's repair would be covered under warranty...

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Really? I have a friend whose phone got wet, he was caught in a heavy rain and got thoroughly drenched. Well, turned out his iPhone 4S had powered off due to water. He waited a few days for his phone to dry thoroughly and tried powering up. It was a no go, so he took his to the Care Center and was basically told he was SOL, either pay in full for repairs or get a new iPhone........he's using an S3 now. In my neck of the woods, when an iPhone is damaged due to user, the Apple Care Center would not repair it for free even though it's under warranty. I don't see how Mac's repair would be covered under warranty...

Wow really? Would think the warranty covered everything...

They didn't for my friend who's macbook fell from a chair.

Companies like Asus and Corsair take care of their customers.  Apple does not; unless you buy their "extended warranty".

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Companies like Asus and Corsair take care of their customers.  Apple does not; unless you buy their "extended warranty".

Heh, I don't know why, but some actually believe Apple does care for their customers......it's all about the money for them, same as every other company in business.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Really detailed review, thanks!

I'm still wondering what tablet I would go to until now, because I give my old Galaxy Tab to my sister. I'm already try this and it feels good in my hands, and this one is probably going to be my next demand.

actually there pretty terrible when it comes to that there busy being sued in the EU for there short warranty when EU law says any electrical product needs a warranty of 2 years

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

Heh, I don't know why, but some actually believe Apple does care for their customers......it's all about the money for them, same as every other company in business.

Wow, changing my position on Apples care then and will try to not break this iPad...

Really detailed review, thanks!

I'm still wondering what tablet I would go to until now, because I give my old Galaxy Tab to my sister. I'm already try this and it feels good in my hands, and this one is probably going to be my next demand.

Thank you!

Corsair maybe but Asus? Are you from an alternate universe?

Corsair maybe but Asus? Are you from an alternate universe?

It actually depends on where you're from. My Rampage IV Extreme has some SATA port issue, as well as finicky power regulation (tech guy who examined it pointed this out, I was only aware of the SATA port issue). Anyway, the local distributer here said the board needed to be sent to Taiwan and offered to lend me a spare LGA2011 board should I need one. I declined as I have my 2nd and 3rd rigs on the ready. After about 10 days or so, I was informed that a replacement board was ready for collection. Pretty good service actually......hence, my belief that RMA experiences with different brands also depend on the location.

Sorry I am just trying to picture you holding the ipad up to your face! It was a great review and I am glad that you shared it.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

Sorry I am just trying to picture you holding the ipad up to your face! It was a great review and I am glad that you shared it.

I gotta limit myself actually, in some games especially my racing game one shoulder starts to hurt pretty bad and idk why, Must be the weird way i hold it so I can hear.

@NinjaStyle013 haha that stinks!

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

Added a bit more to the first post.

After using the mini for awhile my recommendations on how apple could improve is maybe a thicker device with more sloped edges. This would keep the size the same but offer a more comfortable holding position.

I would also like to see the audio moved to both longer sides of the iPad. This would keep that nice symmetrical style Apple has.

I am still very happy with this device.

I cant talk for corsair, luckily I never had to use their customer service, but ASUS is HORRIBLE about taking care of customers.... I've had plenty of trouble trying to get mobos fixed... I am still need to get shipped back my last one... over 1 year after... On the other hand, I have always had a wonderful care from apple, my iPhone 3GS got changed when my batterie died out (9 months of use). 

Changing subject, my iPad mini works great, everlasting battery (I actually never charge it, as I connect it every couple of days to my mac to sync it or whatever). I don`t miss the retina display, the colors and resolution is excellent. iOS is great, seriously, i really love its new interface (I use iOS 7) and i am already used to having my mac converting films to mpq so I can watch them in it...

I dont regret the moment when I swapped to mac (Apple haters, hate me, I had to do so to work), so much better than android. The only thing i like about android is googling "something.apk" and getting a free app... (PC only for gaming, thank you)

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Sadly, Apple's warranty explicitly does not cover water damage.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)