SSD problem

Go to solution Solved by zanthros,

What clone utility did you use? Looks like you did a sector by sector clone, which is great for an exact copy as it does that well. The downside is that it also clones the drives spec's as well. You should be able to go into the disc management section and increase the size of the larger drive to the full capacity. I would unplug my old drive first before trying anything just to make sure that it will actually boot off of the larger drive. Windows has issues with the same OS install existing on 2 drives. After verifying that the drive will boot and is OK I would increase the size of the larger drive to max. (with the other drive still unplugged.) Then I would suggest that you use a bootable utility to wipe the old drive. (after testing and increasing the size of your larger drive.) Make sure now that your "new larger drive is unplugged and you old drive is plugged in. Do this ONLY after you verify the larger drive's functionality. 

Ok, I feel like a massive idiot and I need some help, 

What happened was I have 2 ssd's one 60gb one ( with os on ) and I recently bought a new one ( 120 GB ) so I could move the OS onto it because I constantly have space issues. What happened was I've lost my windows disk and decided that the best way to get windows on the new SSD was to clone the 60gb drive onto my new one ( 120 GB ) , long story short, I cloned the drive and when I would go to boot from the cloned device it would always boot from the olds drive, At this point I accepted defeat and ( in windows on the old drive) went to clear the OS and data I cloned onto the new one ( 120 GB ), however since this the drive has decided it is the size as the old drive ( half it's capacity ) I've tried re formatting and putting files on the drive over 60 gb to see if it was just windows displaying the size of the old drive but It think's it's only 60GB, Does anybody know how I can 'reset' this drive so it is it's actual size again ( 120 gb ) ?

cheers, 

Make a bootable GParted USB or DVD and completely remove the partition table, then repartition and try again. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

if you go to drive manager, (right click the 'my computer' icon, then click 'manage' then 'drive manager')  you should see the unused space on your SSD as unallocated space.

now you can right click on the space that is allocated and click 'expand volume'. now select the unallocated space and it should be fine again.

As RollinLower said: drive management should show you the complete space and allow you to expand...

start menu > right click my computer > manage > drive management

EDIT: also, could it be that your system wasn't booting off of the wrong drive, but you were only seeing the 60 gigs? If it was booting off of the wrong drive, you probably forgot to change your boot settings in the BIOS.

Edited by MG2R

What clone utility did you use? Looks like you did a sector by sector clone, which is great for an exact copy as it does that well. The downside is that it also clones the drives spec's as well. You should be able to go into the disc management section and increase the size of the larger drive to the full capacity. I would unplug my old drive first before trying anything just to make sure that it will actually boot off of the larger drive. Windows has issues with the same OS install existing on 2 drives. After verifying that the drive will boot and is OK I would increase the size of the larger drive to max. (with the other drive still unplugged.) Then I would suggest that you use a bootable utility to wipe the old drive. (after testing and increasing the size of your larger drive.) Make sure now that your "new larger drive is unplugged and you old drive is plugged in. Do this ONLY after you verify the larger drive's functionality. 

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

If you go in disk management, there would of been an option to expand the disk space of the selected partition. I do this all the time, after cloning from SSD to HDD for whatever reason, I would just go into the Windows disk management and expand to the partition to use up whatever left over space isn't used.