60, 120 or 144hz?

DotoreN

I primarily play CS:GO and I currently use the BenQ GW2255 (60hz)

I've been a FPS gamer since 2004 and have never owned any monitor besides 60hz. A friend of mine recommended to buy a new monitor with a higher refresh rate since I play CS:GO a lot. I have a GTX 970 and i'd like to play on 1080p, I bet it's enough for a 144hz monitor?

So my question to you, should I stick with my 60hz monitor (as the quality of the monitor is good) or do I need the 120 or 144hz?

Also any recommendations on what 120/144hz monitor to buy, to run alongside my BenQ gw 2255 in case ur recommend me to buy a new monitor.

Also what's the advantage of 120/144hz over 60hz in CS:GO when CS:GO only has 64tick?

144Hz all the way

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Why 144hz and not 120hz?

There really isn't a big difference, though most newer monitors support 144hz. If a monitor seems better in general but is 120hz instead of 144hz, there isn't a real reason not to get it.

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

There really isn't a big difference, though most newer monitors support 144hz. If a monitor seems better in general but is 120hz instead of 144hz, there isn't a real reason not to get it.

Also, I heard 144hz has "washed out coloring".

Also, I heard 144hz has "washed out coloring".

Thats just if it is a low quality panel. If it has good reviews, then it'll be fine. There aren't any 144hz displays with IPS under $750, so they won't have as good colors just because of that.

Thats just if it is a low quality panel. If it has good reviews, then it'll be fine. There aren't any 144hz displays with IPS under $750, so they won't have as good colors just because of that.

mmh... I thought I could get a nice 144hz for around 200-300bucks, but I guess I was wrong haha.

Also what's the advantage of 120/144hz over 60hz in CS:GO when CS:GO only has 64tick?

Well for a start, the 64/128 tick rate you're refering to is what's happening on the server side, and in simple terms, it's how often then server sends information to your client, lower tickrate worsens hit registration accuracy and stuff, valve servers often run at 64 but decent servers run at 128, even if you are at 64 but you game is running at 256 fps, the movement of enermy players etc is interpolated so that you still see smooth movement.

Anyway, I'm not really getting anywhere with my explanation so I'll just say this, FPS is independent from serverside tick rate, and your client is in no way limited to 64 FPS or anything.

The advantage 144hz gives is quite large, you get reduced input latency/ increases smoothness and aiming is a lot easier, 144hz gives you a decent advantage when it comes to pure DM power.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

Well for a start, the 64/128 tick rate you're refering to is what's happening on the server side, and in simple terms, it's how often then server sends information to your client, lower tickrate worsens hit registration accuracy and stuff, valve servers often run at 64 but decent servers run at 128, even if you are at 64 but you game is running at 256 fps, the movement of enermy players etc is interpolated so that you still see smooth movement.

Anyway, I'm not really getting anywhere with my explanation so I'll just say this, FPS is independent from serverside tick rate, and your client is in no way limited to 64 FPS or anything.

The advantage 144hz gives is quite large, you get reduced input latency/ increases smoothness and aiming is a lot easier, 144hz gives you a decent advantage when it comes to pure DM power.

And why 144hz instead of 120hz?

144hz is for those who have too much money to burn?

If someone is saying he can see the 24hz difference above 100hz, well... I don't believe you.

I understand that people can see 60hz and 120hz difference, because it's 2 times more frames. 

4k 60hz.

more detail is better in my opinion

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

You don't need a 120/144Hz panel, you might want one...

I personally enjoy better colors/detail better, So I went for 1440p 60Hz IPS panel. That said, I'm not really an FPS player (occasional at best, and even then mostly single player).

Do you have an option to try a high-refresh rate monitor? If you do, I suggest you try it out.

I would say, do you have the graphics power to drive a high-refresh rate? But since it's CS:GO, you probably do.

You don't need a 120/144Hz panel, you might want one...

I personally enjoy better colors/detail better, So I went for 1440p 60Hz IPS panel. That said, I'm not really an FPS player (occasional at best, and even then mostly single player).

Do you have an option to try a high-refresh rate monitor? If you do, I suggest you try it out.

I would say, do you have the graphics power to drive a high-refresh rate? But since it's CS:GO, you probably do.

Like I mentioned, I have a GTX 970.. which will be able to power 120-144hz on 1080p.

CS:GO isn't that graphic intensive though.

Like I mentioned, I have a GTX 970.. which will be able to power 120-144hz on 1080p.

CS:GO isn't that graphic intensive though.

Yeah ok I read over that :-D

But, I said: " But since it's CS:GO, you probably do."

If you are looking to upgrade now, I would stick to IPS 60, or possibly some higher quality 120-144HZ monitors if they're avalaible, if not then just stick to a IPS 60 w/o a terrible refresh rate (5 minimum).

In the coming up future, you will be seeing near IPS 144HZ monitors.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

If you are looking to upgrade now, I would stick to IPS 60, or possibly some higher quality 120-144HZ monitors if they're avalaible, if not then just stick to a IPS 60 w/o a terrible refresh rate (5 minimum).

I have a GW2255 for quite some time now, and i'm looking for a new (primary) monitor.

Is the Gw2255 fine to stick with for competitive FPS? idk if it has the 5minimum refresh rate, nor do I know if it's IPS or not. If it's a not an IPS and not the "5minimum refresh rate", what would you recommend me buying?

Thanks for the advice !!

I have a GW2255 for quite some time now, and i'm looking for a new (primary) monitor.

Is the Gw2255 fine to stick with for competitive FPS? idk if it has the 5minimum refresh rate, nor do I know if it's IPS or not. If it's a not an IPS and not the "5minimum refresh rate", what would you recommend me buying?

Thanks for the advice !!

IPS is simply a monitor with high quality colors, you could probably tell if it is IPS or not.

To be honest, for competitive fps, I'd pick up a 144hz monitor. Didn't know that was the case.

(Any 144HZ monitor should have a low refresh rate, bare minimum is 5)

So my recommendation is a 144HZ monitor of resolution in which you think you can support.

Anything above 1 970 1440p, otherwise PROBABLY 1080p.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

IPS is simply a monitor with high quality colors, you could probably tell if it is IPS or not.

To be honest, for competitive fps, I'd pick up a 144hz monitor. Didn't know that was the case.

(Any 144HZ monitor should have a low refresh rate, bare minimum is 5)

So my recommendation is a 144HZ monitor of resolution in which you think you can support.

Anything above 1 970 1440p, otherwise PROBABLY 1080p.

Do you have any recommendations? (i'm really not well known with the monitors to judge whether it's good or bad)

My budget will be around 200-300 bucks... (hopefully enough for a good 120-144hz monitor)..

Also is coloring really that bad on 144hz monitors compared to 60hz?

And why 144hz instead of 120hz?

144hz is for those who have too much money to burn?

If someone is saying he can see the 24hz difference above 100hz, well... I don't believe you.

I understand that people can see 60hz and 120hz difference, because it's 2 times more frames. 

Yeah, but you gotta understand, 144hz has replaced 120hz pretty much, I tested 144hz to 120hz as closely as I could, and I noticed I minor difference, I haven't got the study to hand, but I remember reading somewhere that most people stop noticing after 150fps and onwards (although don't quote me on that), in addition, I can safely say 100hz to 144hz is fairly noticable.

Personally, I've been playing on high refresh rate tier monitors for 3 years now, and I can't really go back, 60fps just feels laggy and unsmooth, 144hz is pretty much like real life smoothness.

As a final message, if you are serious about competitive level gaming, 144hz is a worthy investment.

System specs

Peripherals

A fast 120/144Hz monitor will display new frames more quickly than a 60Hz. As such it greatly reduces the chances of the screen not accurately displaying what you are actually aiming at in the game.

Also with a high refresh rate, screen tearing is nowhere as bad, which is a very bad thing in CS.

Yeah, but you gotta understand, 144hz has replaced 120hz pretty much, I tested 144hz to 120hz as closely as I could, and I noticed I minor difference, I haven't got the study to hand, but I remember reading somewhere that most people stop noticing after 150fps and onwards (although don't quote me on that), in addition, I can safely say 100hz to 144hz is fairly noticable.

Personally, I've been playing on high refresh rate tier monitors for 3 years now, and I can't really go back, 60fps just feels laggy and unsmooth, 144hz is pretty much like real life smoothness.

As a final message, if you are serious about competitive level gaming, 144hz is a worthy investment.

I was looking at the benq xl2411z. It looks like a really nice 144hz monitor within my budget... but it's a TN-panel.

A lot of people say I should avoid TN at all cost. Is this true?

I was looking at the benq xl2411z. It looks like a really nice 144hz monitor within my budget... but it's a TN-panel.

A lot of people say I should avoid TN at all cost. Is this true?

Well basically, I will give you the short version of IPS/PLS vs TN

TN:

Faster pixel response time (less motion blur)

Cheaper

Lower input latency

Colour shift/changes when looking at the monitor from an angle (IE, 45 degrees)

Affordable 144hz

IPS/PLS:

Better colour

144hz IPS Costs ALOT

Now it's up to you do decide the xl2411z is TN, but it is one of the better TN panels out there, meaning it has better colour that other TNs and probably better colour than what you already have, don't listen to people who says avoid TN at costs, what it comes down to, is what do YOU want, do you want the IPS colour advantage over TN, or do you want silky smooth frames per second and TN, it's really up to you, we can only give you the facts. In the past I've used a benq xl2420t, which is a similar monitor, and I must admit, it's served me well.

TNs are often prefered by serious gamers for the fact that better colour doesn't improve your ability to play well, but lower input latency and higher refresh rate do. However, if you don't want the high refresh rate advantage, there's nothing wrong with going with better colour at 60hz.

System specs

Peripherals

Well basically, I will give you the short version of IPS/PLS vs TN

TN:

Faster pixel response time (less motion blur)

Cheaper

Lower input latency

Colour shift/changes when looking at the monitor from an angle (IE, 45 degrees)

Affordable 144hz

IPS/PLS:

Better colour

144hz IPS Costs ALOT

Now it's up to you do decide the xl2411z is TN, but it is one of the better TN panels out there, meaning it has better colour that other TNs and probably better colour than what you already have, don't listen to people who says avoid TN at costs, what it comes down to, is what do YOU want, do you want the IPS colour advantage over TN, or do you want silky smooth frames per second and TN, it's really up to you, we can only give you the facts. In the past I've used a benq xl2420t, which is a similar monitor, and I must admit, it's served me well.

TNs are often prefered by serious gamers for the fact that better colour doesn't improve your ability to play well, but lower input latency and higher refresh rate do. However, if you don't want the high refresh rate advantage, there's nothing wrong with going with better colour at 60hz.

Few more questions;

Apart from CS:GO, will I also benefit from 144hz in other applications and/or games if I have only 60fps in let's say AC: Unity, Witcher 3, BF4 etc or is 60fps in a game on a 60hz or 144hz monitor exactly the same?

And does a 144hz panel require "a lot more" power from the GPU than a 60hz? or not really

Few more questions;

Apart from CS:GO, will I also benefit from 144hz in other applications and/or games if I have only 60fps in let's say AC: Unity, Witcher 3, BF4 etc or is 60fps in a game on a 60hz or 144hz monitor exactly the same?

And does a 144hz panel require "a lot more" power from the GPU than a 60hz? or not really

Well, you only need more to target them higher frames rates, 60fps on 60hz is just as easy to get at 60fps on 144hz.

Also, if you're anything like me, you'll find the fps you like to target will go up, and you'll become more picky, these days, I would much rather play a game at reduced settings at 90+ fps than better graphics and 60fps.

But 60fps would most likely be similar between the two, if not slightly better due to 144hz having lower latency and making tearing less noticeable.

System specs

Peripherals