is it okay I use a i5-4460k cpu for my gpu GTX 980 Ti? is my cpu gonna bottle neck my gpu?

John Tom

is it okay I use a i5-4460k cpu for my gpu GTX 980 Ti? is my cpu gonna bottle neck my gpu?

you cant get much better in that budget for gaming either way, but yes, thats an excellent choice if you're not going to overclock.

Nope, good to go unless you play really CPU bound games.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Nope, good to go unless you play really CPU bound games.

It's more than fine even with cpu intensive games.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

4460K?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Maybe 5-10 fps low compared to a i7 proccessor. Thanks for the reply :)

Will not bottleneck. Im going 980ti SLI with my 4770k. Will be amazing. :)

Will not bottleneck. Im going 980ti SLI with my 4770k. Will be amazing. :)

Is you cpu i7?

Absolutely no bottleneck.

The performance of that CPU is great in singlecore performance and multithreaded games too, every game will be at its absolute best ability, some CPU's with higher clockspeeds will have better performance because games respond to higher clocks pretty well, but your only going to be 1-2FPS behind the EXPENSIVE big boys using the same GPU, in MANY titles.

There are games that will use NEARLY all of it, GTA5/BF4 and such, using 4x 90% usage, but that will happen EVEN on the 4690K overclocked.

I've not seen a SINGLE issue with my GPU usage, with my locked i5 @ 3.5Ghz

Is you cpu i7?

4770K is i7 yes. and By the way, i5's can be MORE performing than i7's in game,.. not always, but sometimes.

There is really not much difference between them, only for 'select' games will there be such a huge jump.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

You mean i5-4460 not with a k. You should be fine but it will probably bottleneck for 1080p. Considering a i7-5960x gets bottlenecks Titan X's

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

You mean i5-4460 not with a k. You should be fine but it will probably bottleneck for 1080p. Considering a i7-5960x gets bottlenecks Titan X's

Yeah, if you mean Jays2cents talking about it,... he uses 3 of them tho...(all those frames of course it is) not for one gpu.

The 980Ti should not be used for 1080p, the resolution will be the bottleneck.

Meaning, if your GPU is capable of super high FPS, it would come down to the CPU to provide the frames needed.

But if your at 1440p/4K then your not at super high FPS, and more GPU bound than CPU bound, and he will be fine.

He could just use DSR @ 1080p.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Yeah, if you mean Jays2cents talking about it,... he uses 3 of them tho...(all those frames of course it is) not for one gpu.

I'm pretty sure this cpu would bottleneck the 980 Ti at 1080p. Its holding back the 980 Ti. I can check with my i7-4790k tonight at different overclocks. Eitherway 980 Ti is overkill for 1080p.  

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Meaning that I cannot use my CPU and GPU properly in a 1080p monitor?

Yes

No.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

I'm pretty sure this cpu would bottleneck the 980 Ti at 1080p. Its holding back the 980 Ti. I can check with my i7-4790k tonight at different overclocks. Eitherway 980 Ti is overkill for 1080p.  

See below..

The 980Ti should not be used for 1080p, the resolution will be the bottleneck. HOWEVER..... See the quote below this one, read that answer.

Meaning, if your GPU is capable of super high FPS, it would come down to the CPU to provide the frames needed.

But if your at 1440p/4K then your not at super high FPS, and more GPU bound than CPU bound, and he will be fine.

He could just use DSR @ 1080p.

I did state this... and while not common sense to some,... even if he is using 1080p, DSR from Nvidia can make good use of the 980Ti

Meaning that I cannot use my CPU and GPU properly in a 1080p monitor?

You can use it PROPERLY yes, it will not have ANY issues running 1080p. People telling you otherwise are idiots..

Simulate the 1440p/4K on every game via DSR until you can get a new monitor.... if he wants he can do that he can.

Yes Or No? hahaha I"m confuse

Yes or no what..? Read my previous post.

Also, quote someone to inform them of your reply, or they have NO idea you did reply.

What hz is your monitor at for 1080p. 60hz not good, 144hz it will be fine. Remember the lastest AAA titles are demanding what resolution you run at on Ultra. Hitting 144hz on Ultra with GTA 5 at 1080p will require a good GPU. 980ti is the one for that. Remember you can allways upgrade your monitor after that. Overkill is a horrible word. Get the fastest GPU you can afford. 2 years from now i bet people will not be saying its overkill. When people are struggling to hit 100fps in latest games on there 980ti.

See below..

I did state this... and while not common sense to some,... even if he is using 1080p, DSR from Nvidia can make good use of the 980Ti

You can use it PROPERLY yes, it will not have ANY issues running 1080p. People telling you otherwise are idiots..

Simulate the 1440p/4K on every game via DSR until you can get a new monitor.... if he wants he can do that he can.

Sorry at work here. Did not see your edit. . DSR for sure. He will still get great fps with the 980 Ti at 1080p DSR. Also not sure if op was going to overclock the 980 Ti.

Yes Or No? hahaha I"m confuse

Yes. You are fine with using it at 1080p. I just think it would be a waste of money. Just go with a 970 or amd r9 290x. You could always run DSR if you get the 980 Ti. Would be nice if the 1080p monitor was higher than 60Hz. If you have a 60Z monitor just go with 970 or 290x.

Sorry at work here. Did not see your edit. . DSR for sure. He will still get great fps with the 980 Ti at 1080p DSR. Also not sure if op was going to overclock the 980 Ti.

Yes. You are fine with using it at 1080p. I just think it would be a waste of money. Just go with a 970 or amd r9 290x. You could always run DSR if you get the 980 Ti. Would be nice if the 1080p monitor was higher than 60Hz. If you have a 60Z monitor just go with 970 or 290x.

I would say the 970 (gameworks vs AMD) for someone who does not wanna fiddle with things...

AMD for price>performance with its 290/290x are a good buy however.

Both the 970/290/290x are 'almost overkill' but pretty much perfect IMO for 1080p Ultra gameplay.

But if he can afford the 980Ti, he shouldn't be having to sacrifice other parts either...

If he is sacrificing good things, I'd say he's better off with the 970.

There's really no such thing as overkill. I'm selling my gtx970 for a 980ti and I have a 1080p 144hz monitor. What matters to me is that I can make the most out of 144hz and even on the most demeaning games I won't be able to hit 144fps with a 980ti. What is considered overkill should be interpreted differently depending on what you prefer.

Yiz I like your thinking. Its the same thing ive been saying for years. No such thing as Overkill.