SourceForge locked in projects of fleeing users, cashed in on malvertising

Samfisher

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/06/sourceforge-locked-in-projects-of-fleeing-users-cashed-in-on-malvertising/

hotelcalifornia-crop.jpg

The takeover of the SourceForge account for the Windows version of the open-source GIMP image editing tool reported by Ars last week is hardly the first case of the once-pioneering software repository attempting to cash in on open-source projects that have gone inactive or have actually attempted to shut down their SourceForge accounts. Over the past few years, SourceForge (launched by VA Linux Systems in 1999 and now owned by the tech job site company previously known as Dice) has made it a business practice to turn abandoned or inactive projects into platforms for distribution of "bundle-ware" installers

And because of SourceForge's policies, it's nearly impossible for open-source projects to get their code removed from the site. SourceForge is, in essence, the Hotel California of code repositories: you can check your project out any time you want, but you can never leave.

UPDATED 

"In an effort to address a number of concerns we have been hearing from the media and community at large, we at SourceForge would like to note that we have stopped presenting third party offers for unmaintained SourceForge projects."

Wow SourceForge, scumbag much?  NO wonder everyones gone to GitHub with policies like these.  Anyone personally use SF for anything here?  Only times I ever do is to find the odd piece of software I need with dead mirrors everywhere.

Edited by Samfisher

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Please change the formating for us Dark theme users.

Please change the formating for us Dark theme users.

HMm, I've already set it to Auto before posting O.o Anyway set to auto again :)

HMm, I've already set it to Auto before posting O.o Anyway set to auto again :)

The problem is inside of the quote. In this case, you have to set the text to black because the copy/paste brought over white background.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

The problem is inside of the quote. In this case, you have to set the text to black because the copy/paste brought over white background.

Got it fixed after checking my post on dark theme :)

Got it fixed after checking my post on dark theme :)

Terima kasih. ;)