will my asus g751 support g-sync?

giorgi1997

so we all got the news that there will be g-sync laptops and that's great

i own an asus g751 and it's listed as one of the laptops that will recieve g-sync treatment and it wont need a g-sync module

my question will i get g-sync on my notebook via a driver update or something like that or will g-sunc be on only newly manufactured laptops of the same name?

thanks in advance

G-Sync is added in the monitor with hardware changes, so I'm guessing that OR you can get an upgrade OR they won't care :P

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

i own an asus g751 and it's listed as one of the laptops that will recieve g-sync treatment and it wont need a g-sync module

my question will i get g-sync on my notebook via a driver update or something like that or will g-sunc be on only newly manufactured laptops of the same name?

thanks in advance

its a physical chip, so they cant just driver update

its a physical chip, so they cant just driver update

but they said that they dont need a physical chip on a laptop and wont be even using one

It is NOT a physical chip in laptops. It is only a physical chip on desktop monitors because desktop monitors offer a plethora of input options. Laptops only have one means of delivering the LCD display to the board, so the module was not required. 

@giorgi1997 We will not know if your model is supported. Nvidia has to manually approve that the laptop's LCD is at their quality standard to allow G-Sync to work through it. I imagine if it is supported, that you will be able to add its support through a driver. Who knows, we might actually start seeing driver hacks to force G-Sync on mobile displays, with or without Nvidia's support. Only time will tell.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

thanks in advance

As far as we know, you require a license in your BIOS, so you may very much NOT get it. Unless ASUS is willing to send you a compatible BIOS (but knowing ASUS they may not even know what PC you have, god their support is terrible).

That being said if they sell "Gsync" as costing extra cash, then you will need to buy a new notebook, most likely, even if your screen is compatible.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

According to this article from pcworld a laptop vendor could add G-Sync support to an existing laptop since no module is required. It's unlikely that the "old" G751's will get this update due to Nvidia's screening and licensing process for G-Sync, but I think it's pretty likely that the new drivers for the G-Sync versions of the G751 could be hacked to work with the non G-Sync certified G751 laptops. The newer G751's have 75Hz rated displays per NVIDIA's requirements, while the older ones are rated at 60Hz, but I've seen plenty of people on the Asus forums who successfully OC'd their panels as high as 100Hz.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2928715/nvidia-debuts-6-g-sync-laptops-and-7-g-sync-displays-as-its-tech-war-with-amd-rages-on.html 

I bought a G751 at Christmas time, and it has a 75 hz IPS panel.  There was a beta driver floating around the internet a few months ago that enabled Gsync on the G751 (it had been released by accident by a support person).

It seems likely that official support will only be for the newest G751 laptops, and the rest of us will have to hack the thing to get it working.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Heyyo,

As CostcoSamples said, you could always try the free g-sync driver that's floating around... see if it works for you or not.

Otherwise? I dunno what to tell you mang, cross your fingers... that or submit a support ticket to Asus with your model and serial number and see if they will say if they'll add support.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

I bought a G751 at Christmas time, and it has a 75 hz IPS panel.  There was a beta driver floating around the internet a few months ago that enabled Gsync on the G751 (it had been released by accident by a support person).

It seems likely that official support will only be for the newest G751 laptops, and the rest of us will have to hack the thing to get it working.

Does the G751 have a 75Hz refresh rate by default? I couldn't find an official spec sheet listing it. Also, there's quite a stir going on at the Asus forums for current G751 owners. If you want, you can have a look at this 13 page petition thread to bring G-Sync to current G751 laptops.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?61983-PETITION-ASUS-please-allow-G-SYNC-support-on-existing-G751-s! 

Does the G751 have a 75Hz refresh rate by default? I couldn't find an official spec sheet listing it. Also, there's quite a stir going on at the Asus forums for current G751 owners. If you want, you can have a look at this 13 page petition thread to bring G-Sync to current G751 laptops.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?61983-PETITION-ASUS-please-allow-G-SYNC-support-on-existing-G751-s! 

I'm pretty sure the G751 does have a 75 hz panel by default.  I read somewhere that the older G750 was only 60 hz.

I'll check out that page, thanks!

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I'm pretty sure the G751 does have a 75 hz panel by default.  I read somewhere that the older G750 was only 60 hz.

I'll check out that page, thanks!

It looks like you're right, I found a few articles stating that the display is 75Hz. I did notice an interesting development today concerning mobile G-Sync. Asus just released a new BIOS for the G751JT with the following information:

Description BIOS 207

Support G-sync function.

Unfortunately, it looks like people on the Asus forums are reporting that no G-Sync option has become available since updating, but it sure looks like it should. You can check it out yourself at the Asus support page: 

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G751JT&p=3&s=719 

It looks like you're right, I found a few articles stating that the display is 75Hz. I did notice an interesting development today concerning mobile G-Sync. Asus just released a new BIOS for the G751JT with the following information:

Description BIOS 207

Support G-sync function.

Unfortunately, it looks like people on the Asus forums are reporting that no G-Sync option has become available since updating, but it sure looks like it should. You can check it out yourself at the Asus support page: 

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G751JT&p=3&s=719 

That does sound very promising!

PC Build

Desk Build

• 1 month later...

Short answer: No, there will be no support for gsync on the current g751 models. The computer if fully capable of gsync, but nvidia wont allow it. 

Long answer:

Ive been following the news about this. Asus claims that the old g751 does not support gsync, and you have to buy the new G751 Gsync model to get this feature.

This however is not true. A person calling himself Gamenab has allready relased a gsync driver that works with the older models, just with a few beta bugs. 

Ive also tested gsync on my own model, and apart from black frames on lower framrates it works fine. 

He has also worked on a modified bios version for the gpus on the current models that will give us the same gsync as the "gsync" model.

Nvidia has stopped his work, and they will sue anyone that tried to give the current g751 models gsync. 

The current g751 laptops also had their refresh rate increased to 75hz and then down again to 60hz with a driver. What would be the reason for this? Well it looks like nvidia had a large scale test to see if the panel could handle the refresh rates for a longer period. It looks like the current owners of the g751 have been test subjects for the certification process of that panel. 

The laptop producers such as Asus have to pay a premium price to get gsync support on their laptops. Nvidia will probably not allow laptops that are allready sold to be certified as gsync capable. This is backed up with Asus relasing a new model of the g751 that have the same panel and gpu, just with gsync enabled.  So even if Asus wanted to give their customers support for gsync on current models, nvidia would not allow them. 

Sources:

Gamenab's last blog post. Atm his site is still up, but nvidia is taking it down: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B42jR1U7xhPYR2tyOUlRYmxYUEk/view?usp=sharing (download the html file and open it in a browser)

PC Perspective:  http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Mobile-G-Sync-Confirmed-and-Tested-Leaked-Alpha-Driver

Asus Forums: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?61959-G-Sync-Drivers-Official-NVIDIA/page36

Asus Forums: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?61983-PETITION-ASUS-please-allow-G-SYNC-support-on-existing-G751-s!

Youtube from Gamenab's blog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=16&v=aqRGgv1gfEA (I did not get to copy this data before it was too late)

• 1 month later...

Hello,

i bought my Asus G751JY-T7059H on 13.12.2014. It has Full HD display with 60Hz refreshment, GTX980M 4GB, I7 4710HQ. So, i decided to check if my laptop is G-Sync capable. I have installed only moded Nvidia Geforce driver from some guy called GAMENAB, without new Bios flash or something (driver only). After that i received a notification on my laptop status taskbar, that G-Sync is enabled and the display refreshment were changed to 75Hz (it shows, that you do not need the extra physical chip, to set your older model to G-Sync). So after that i could using G-Sync with my games Battlefield 3 and 4 and it worked very smoothly. The only problem was, that i could not open Nvidia Geforce Experience menu, where you can edit gaming profiles. But everything in Nvidia Geforce control panel worked perfectly, G-Sync included. I doubt, but still hope that there will be G-Sync drivers released for older Asus G751JY models in the future. Sorry, if i wrote with mistakes, english is not my native language.

Hello,

i bought my Asus G751JY-T7059H on 13.12.2014. It has Full HD display with 60Hz refreshment, GTX980M 4GB, I7 4710HQ. So, i decided to check if my laptop is G-Sync capable. I have installed only moded Nvidia Geforce driver from some guy called GAMENAB, without new Bios flash or something (driver only). After that i received a notification on my laptop status taskbar, that G-Sync is enabled and the display refreshment were changed to 75Hz (it shows, that you do not need the extra physical chip, to set your older model to G-Sync). So after that i could using G-Sync with my games Battlefield 3 and 4 and it worked very smoothly. The only problem was, that i could not open Nvidia Geforce Experience menu, where you can edit gaming profiles. But everything in Nvidia Geforce control panel worked perfectly, G-Sync included. I doubt, but still hope that there will be G-Sync drivers released for older Asus G751JY models in the future. Sorry, if i wrote with mistakes, english is not my native language.

no physical chip is required on eDP 1.2 spec screens for laptops because they are more advanced than regular displayport 1.2 ports and panels for desktops.

Gsync is always in your chip. I can use it, if I had a key in my BIOS for it that whitelisted both my GPUs and my screen, using any driver. You probably have the screen (which is a 60Hz screen, I don't care what Gsync does) and thus the driver, which is so designed to ignore the BIOS key "unlocking" gsync for the system, sets your system to enable gsync. The Gsync models take the 60Hz panels (which are cherry picked for overclockability) and BIOS-level OCs them to 75Hz. The panel specs are 60Hz.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Hello,

Do you know where we can download gsync drivers for older G751 laptops?  Gamenab is shut down.

PC Build

Desk Build

Do you know where we can download gsync drivers for older G751 laptops?  Gamenab is shut down.

It's not worth it. You'll be stuck on a pretty old driver and won't be able to use it for many newer games from 2015 and onward, AND the driver itself isn't all that stable (breaks power slider and other such things from nVidia Inspector). You're never going to get a recent driver which unlocks Gsync.

It's not worth it. You'll be stuck on a pretty old driver and won't be able to use it for many newer games from 2015 and onward, AND the driver itself isn't all that stable (breaks power slider and other such things from nVidia Inspector). You're never going to get a recent driver which unlocks Gsync.

:(  Not cool Nvidia.  Not cool.  I will definitely be considering this issue when it comes time for my next GPU upgrade.

PC Build

Desk Build

:(  Not cool Nvidia.  Not cool.  I will definitely be considering this issue when it comes time for my next GPU upgrade.

If you're considering a laptop, AMD has no offerings. It's nVidia only. So they have people by the balls there.