Few questions about new SSD

Lobmed

Hi, I'm planning on buying my first ssd to speed up my relatively new PC. The problem is that I have no idea which one to choose. So here come my questions:

1) 120/128 GB or 256? I've got a 2TB HDD so it will be used mostly for OS and few games (but pretty space-taking games).

2) Is there a good solution for migrating my OS form HDD? I don't mind setting everything up once againg, but I just don't know if there is a chance? Is it possible to install your (legal) Windows again on a ssd from a original cd, or downloading it from a site or you simply can't install your system again and i need to buy a new one?

3) What to look at when choosing? Do you have any recomendations? I just want to make my pc boot fast and load few games faster as said before.

:/

Get a 200-ish SSD. It's better if you want to install the occasional game or heavy program. 

There are utilities like the Samsung one that allow you to clone your OS installation.

Get a Samsung 850 Evo, Crucial MX100/MX200 or a Intel 535/730.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

My personal preference would be crucial, heard good things about Samsung and Intel  as well. I know Crucial bundles a copy of acronis true-image software as well. I currently have 2 mx100s that work great. I have a 128 gb for my OS and a 512gb for my storage/games.

It's usually recommended to do a fresh install of windows instead of cloning a direct image from a standard HDD.

Make sure you hook the drives up to Sata 3 ports to make use of their speed. Sata 2 will slow them down

Hi, I'm planning on buying my first ssd to speed up my relatively new PC. The problem is that I have no idea which one to choose. So here come my questions:

1) 120/128 GB or 256? I've got a 2TB HDD so it will be used mostly for OS and few games (but pretty space-taking games).

2) Is there a good solution for migrating my OS form HDD? I don't mind setting everything up once againg, but I just don't know if there is a chance? Is it possible to install your (legal) Windows again on a ssd from a original cd, or downloading it from a site or you simply can't install your system again and i need to buy a new one?

3) What to look at when choosing? Do you have any recomendations? I just want to make my pc boot fast and load few games faster as said before.

:/

1. 256GB. Reasons: 1) Even at 256GB you're paying a price premium for getting a small SSD, but it's less of a premium than you'd pay on a 120/128GB SSD. 500GB is the current 'standard' for the cheapest GB/$. Currently the lowest GB/$ I've seen is ~32¢ for a non-crap drive. 2) You'll never be sad that your SSD is too big. The more empty space an SSD has, the faster it performs during write workloads (to a limit).
  2. Most SSDs will come with some form of software to do this. As long as you buy from Samsung/Crucial/Intel you're pretty much guaranteed to get cloning software for free.
  3. The samsung 850 EVO line is pretty much the gold standard at the moment. There are other drives, but the Samsungs are the best.

*Checks pcpartpciker* Assuming you live in the U.S. The OCZ Arc 100 is on sale right now; 240GB for $80. The ARC 100 is an older drive, but both cheap (33¢/GB) and fast enough. That said, a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO is $170 (34¢/GB). Will you notice a speed difference between the two drives in gaming/day-to-day web surfing? Probably not, no. 

1. 256GB. Reasons: 1) Even at 256GB you're paying a price premium for getting a small SSD, but it's less of a premium than you'd pay on a 120/128GB SSD. 500GB is the current 'standard' for the cheapest GB/$. Currently the lowest GB/$ I've seen is ~32¢ for a non-crap drive. 2) You'll never be sad that your SSD is too big. The more empty space an SSD has, the faster it performs during write workloads (to a limit).
  2. Most SSDs will come with some form of software to do this. As long as you buy from Samsung/Crucial/Intel you're pretty much guaranteed to get cloning software for free.
  3. The samsung 850 EVO line is pretty much the gold standard at the moment. There are other drives, but the Samsungs are the best.

*Checks pcpartpciker* Assuming you live in the U.S. The OCZ Arc 100 is on sale right now; 240GB for $80. The ARC 100 is an older drive, but both cheap (33¢/GB) and fast enough. That said, a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO is $170 (34¢/GB). Will you notice a speed difference between the two drives in gaming/day-to-day web surfing? Probably not, no. 

Thanks for a very quick and exhaustive answer. I'll go with Samsung's EVO 850. Heard some greate reviews before but needed some assuring. (btw. not US - Poland)