Could you help me choose some Linux distros?

So, ive been having problems with win 7 lately and i think when my sisters BF installed it he messed something up because he (Without telling us first) got a illegal copy and installed that and downloaded some weird crack and now it wont let me download a lot of files or something (Its super weird) So I want to look into Linux and i know a little bit and ive done a small amount of research. So i would like to get a game plan together and bring it to my dad to see what he says (Its his laptop).  Also, did i use the term distro correctly?

So here are our requirements. 

Light and simple to use

Close enough to windows that we will be able to know what we are doing (I can elaborate if you need, just ask)

Since its a laptop if it can be light and use little power that would be great (Saw someone mention Low power distros, idk if they are a thing)

Compatible with simple programs like Firefox/chrome, Skype Just the everyday applications (Im sure most are fine but i dont know)

I think thats it. 

So, from what i was looking up i was thinking maybe:

Fuduntu 

Ubuntu

Linux Mint

Someone said that fuduntu can help with battery life which would be cool but idk if thats real or not. I also saw someone say that fuduntu isnt around anymore and again, i dont know if that is real.

So what would you recommend and what ALL would i need to set it up. as i said, I need to make a complete plan so that i can talk to my dad about it.

Thanks. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I think Ubuntu is just great mate. It's very simple to use and set up is simple. You can simply go to their site, download the iso and burn it to a memory stick or disk. You can then choose to install from the medium or simple run it to try it out so you can run it and play around with it for a while to see how well you like it.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download

:D * I said SIMPLE quite a lot.. hmm really is simple!

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

I think Ubuntu is just great mate. It's very simple to use and set up is simple. You can simply go to their site, download the iso and burn it to a memory stick or disk. You can then choose to install from the medium or simple run it to try it out so you can run it and play around with it for a while to see how well you like it.

:D

And that is ALL i need? and Do i install it like windows? or what? Do you maybe have a guide?  thanks

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

I use linus mint 14 cinnamon (you see cinnamon and the other types in the dowload section) It is extremely easy to use, really fast and light, and I have it on my mother's computer (not saying you are only as tech advanced as my mom, just saying it is really easy to use and I love it.) It runs any ubuntu files so you get massive compatibility. Basically I think of linus mint as an improved ubuntu. 

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

And that is ALL i need? and Do i install it like windows? or what? Do you maybe have a guide?  thanks

As I remember, after changing boot order in bios, and then booting from the disk, you have the option to install it through a gui. Pretty much just allocate what hard drive partion you want to install Ubuntu to and you just neet to set up the date and time etc.

This would help I guess: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromCD

Enjoy mate :D

I would go with Linux Mint because the UI is like WIndows like having the menu on the bottom left side and quick launch icons. But if you want maximum battery life, Fuduntu is the best imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Fedora

The Built in windows compatibility is a life saver.

As I remember, after changing boot order in bios, and then booting from the disk, you have the option to install it through a gui. Pretty much just allocate what hard drive partion you want to install Ubuntu to and you just neet to set up the date and time etc.

This would help I guess: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromCD

Enjoy mate :D

Will my photos and documents transfer over okay? Because i have photos and music and documents and all that that we need, is there something special i need to do for that or what?

I use linux mint 14 cinnamon (you see cinnamon and the other types in the dowload section) It is extremely easy to use, really fast and light, and I have it on my mother's computer (not saying you are only as tech advanced as my mom, just saying it is really easy to use and I love it.) It runs any ubuntu files so you get massive compatibility. Basically I think of linus mint as an improved ubuntu. 

Same question as above, will my current files be okay?

I would go with Linux Mint because the UI is like WIndows like having the menu on the bottom left side and quick launch icons. But if you want maximum battery life, Fuduntu is the best imo.

But is funduntu supported still or not?

Fedora

The Built in windows compatibility is a life saver.

I havent heard much of anything about this. Is it like windows or is it completely different?

It would be best to back up all of your things. As long as you don't install the OS over the partion with your documents I guess it would be fine. And Fedora is also great though I think Ubuntu is a great start.

I would go with ubuntu since its most supported atm like steam.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

It would be best to back up all of your things. As long as you don't install the OS over the partion with your documents I guess it would be fine. And Fedora is also great though I think Ubuntu is a great start.

So what i would do (Im just double checking)

Back up all my files and stuff to a flash drive or what have you

Get ubuntu on a flash drive or cd or whatever

Install it like you would a regular OS

Then put all my backed up files back on

Is that correct?

I havent heard much of anything about this. Is it like windows or is it completely different?

It's alot like windows, but it has the Gnome UI, but you can get kde, then it's basically windows.

It's alot like windows, but it has the Gnome UI, but you can get kde, then it's basically windows.

I hope you know that made almost no sense too me.

So what i would do (Im just double checking)

Back up all my files and stuff to a flash drive or what have you

Get ubuntu on a flash drive or cd or whatever

Install it like you would a regular OS

Then put all my backed up files back on

Is that correct?

Yup, that is the basic installation for every distro I know of. 

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

Yup, that is the basic installation for every distro I know of. 

Okay, cool thanks

:D * I said SIMPLE quite a lot.. hmm really is simple!

Also, can you have Backgrounds for ubuntu, My dad has had the same background since he got this laptop in 2009 and he doesnt like parting with it. 

gnome is basically the base UI used for fedora and ubuntu, they are practically the same distro but fedora has built in wine(windows compatibility) (i think) however you can use the KDE release of fedora to have the same layout as win7.

In my book I'd pick Fedora or mint.

Will my photos and documents transfer over okay? Because i have photos and music and documents and all that that we need, is there something special i need to do for that or what?

Same question as above, will my current files be okay?

But is funduntu supported still or not?

Just checked and found that Fuduntu isn't supported anymore. I would go with Fedora since Fuduntu is based off of Fedora and should also have great battery life.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Just checked and found that Fuduntu isn't supported anymore. I would go with Fedora since Fuduntu is based off of Fedora and should also have great battery life.

K thanks

If you want something closer to to windows I would check out Mint with the mate desktop.  Also Linux Deepin it is chinese, but you can switch the language to english.

Also you could try Zorin os. It looks interesting and I have not try it yet unfortunately. Well didn't mean to double post, but also depending on your gnu/linux distro the time that the os is supported can vary. For example Ubuntu's current release is 13.04, but soon will be 13.10 in October and will stop supporting 13.04 if I am not mistaken. They have a long term support version that last 4 years I believe and that is currently 12.04.

Unlike Windows and OS X, some distros build off one another to better suit the style of os you love.

I never really liked the GNOME gui. KDE looks a bit nicer. I LOVED the look of Ubuntu Unity, but it didn't seem all that user friendly to me when I used it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)