Any recommendations for a gaming headset? stereo

ledzz

Hey guys can anyone recommend me a gaming headset? not really fussed on price, also it needs to be stereo only from what i've read, apparently surround sound headsets sound weird lol, preferably light-ish and awesome sounding, btw should i get a soundcard? i've read alot about how they are not worth it now a days, thanks

Don't get a gaming headset!

Generally gaming headsets suck and you would be much better of with a pair of open back headphones and a mod mic.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Why do they lol? ok dude, i don't need a mic, open back headphones pass it a lot of background noise don't they? can you recommend me a pair dude?

Why do they lol? ok dude, i don't need a mic, open back headphones pass it a lot of background noise don't they? can you recommend me a pair dude?

Crappy audio quality things like that the Hyper X clouds are the only good pair.

Open back headphones do allow for a lot of noise to get in but they have a better sound stage allowing for you to more easily here where things are happening. I need to know a rough budget before I can recommend you anything.

Please qoute me so I see a reply.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Crappy audio quality things like that the Hyper X clouds are the only good pair.

Open back headphones do allow for a lot of noise to get in but they have a better sound stage allowing for you to more easily here where things are happening. I need to know a rough budget before I can recommend you anything.

Okay dude thanks for the advice, hmm money wise, i guess anything up to 200? 250 at a push, also do i need a soundcard with these?

Okay dude thanks for the advice, hmm money wise, i guess anything up to 200? 250 at a push, also do i need a soundcard with these?

What currency do you use? There is no real reason to buy a soundcard unless you are doing audio work or your mobos on board audio is complete shit.

What currency do you use? There is no real reason to buy a soundcard unless you are doing audio work or your mobos on board audio is complete shit.

£ pal, live in england :) okay, i'm only interested in gaming for this

Sennheiser HD 598's good brand good headphones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-598-Circumaural-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433068187&sr=8-2&keywords=sennheiser+hd&tag=linustechtips-21

DT 990 Pro or Phillips Fidelity X2's, are good aswell if you want.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

I game just fine on my Monitors onboard speakers [ASUS MX279] but when i want a clearer sound for music a simple pair of Logitech open backed headphones work fine or my Astro A50s when i need seriously awesome and intense gaming/moviewatching sound

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

I game just fine on my Monitors onboard speakers [ASUS MX279] but when i want a clearer sound for music a simple pair of Logitech open backed headphones work fine or my Astro A50s when i need seriously awesome and intense gaming/moviewatching sound

Thanks a lot people, i will check these out, one more really noob question, you know in windows where you set up the khz frequency, do i leave this to default or set it to a certain khz? thanks

Those are like two of the worst audio company's :(

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Thanks a lot people, i will check these out, one more really noob question, you know in windows where you set up the khz frequency, do i leave this to default or set it to a certain khz? thanks

Doesn't really matter I set it at max just cause, won't really hear a difference

Woops, I meant the kbps, ok thanks :)

Those are like two of the worst audio company's :(

ya think so? eh maybe i just have shitty ears :P I know i dont have an audiophiles ear, but for gaming ive owned a pair of Astro A50s and a pair of Tritton Warhead 7.1s and they both sound amazing to me, great bass, lacking a bit in the crisp snaps and crackles ill admit but with some fine tuning i got them sounding just perfect. And again, im no audiophile and i got my Logitechs for free, I live in a 4 bedroom house that is housing 10 people so i really just use them for times when i wanna hear something real quick and dont want it blasting through my speakers.

And most of why i use my ASUS monitor is similar to why i use my Trittons..theyre very deep, almost too deep, but they prevented me from having to buy a desktop speaker solution which would risk being worse so i was like fuck it lol

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

ya think so? eh maybe i just have shitty ears :P I know i dont have an audiophiles ear, but for gaming ive owned a pair of Astro A50s and a pair of Tritton Warhead 7.1s and they both sound amazing to me, great bass, lacking a bit in the crisp snaps and crackles ill admit but with some fine tuning i got them sounding just perfect. And again, im no audiophile and i got my Logitechs for free, I live in a 4 bedroom house that is housing 10 people so i really just use them for times when i wanna hear something real quick and dont want it blasting through my speakers.

And most of why i use my ASUS monitor is similar to why i use my Trittons..theyre very deep, almost too deep, but they prevented me from having to buy a desktop speaker solution which would risk being worse so i was like fuck it lol

Well, first off, I'm not patronizing. Almost everybody has 'been there done that' (your position). It's what I usually call 'the VCD effect'. I don't know if you've experienced the age of VCD. It's 352x288 (PAL) video size. It's like this: there was a time where VCD is the best solution for home cinema. Then DVD came out. Now if there's a guy that has never seen a DVD movie in his life, he would say 'what can DVD do that VCD can't? VCD is absolutely the best of the best video resolution out there. Nothing can beat it...nothing....'

Basically what I'm saying is, what other headphones have you tried? If none, or anything that's under-classed compared to those 2, then it's natural to say they're very very very good sounding. If you've tried a lot, from various levels, and you still like those 2 the most, then okay, that's your preference and taste, it's all good. 

Hey guys are their any more recommendations? researched the Sens and 990's, apparently the sens have no bass at all and the 990's have way to much treble, or am i too picky for the price i'm paying?

Well, first off, I'm not patronizing. Almost everybody has 'been there done that' (your position). It's what I usually call 'the VCD effect'. I don't know if you've experienced the age of VCD. It's 352x288 (PAL) video size. It's like this: there was a time where VCD is the best solution for home cinema. Then DVD came out. Now if there's a guy that has never seen a DVD movie in his life, he would say 'what can DVD do that VCD can't? VCD is absolutely the best of the best video resolution out there. Nothing can beat it...nothing....'

Basically what I'm saying is, what other headphones have you tried? If none, or anything that's under-classed compared to those 2, then it's natural to say they're very very very good sounding. If you've tried a lot, from various levels, and you still like those 2 the most, then okay, that's your preference and taste, it's all good. 

oh no i totally understand what youre saying, and no worries you havent offended me or anything. Its like a line my mom loves to use "you dont know what you dont know" no ive never tried a pair of boutique quality headsets like sennheisers or audio technicas. i dont tend to see the value in headphones that cost so much money. i know thats hypocritical since i ve bought a pair of Tritton warheads but that was really my first gaming headset aside from a par of Turtle Beach X12s [which i also loved very much.

as i said, i have very simple ears, ive tried expensive headsets meant to blow me away and they do sound better, but i can spend a third the cost and get something that works just fine instead

Project Hephaestus

Open headset will also make it so that everyone around you can hear the sound as good as you do?

This is one of the major cons though, especially if your wife/parents are sleeping and you're gaming next door.

oh no i totally understand what youre saying, and no worries you havent offended me or anything. Its like a line my mom loves to use "you dont know what you dont know" no ive never tried a pair of boutique quality headsets like sennheisers or audio technicas. i dont tend to see the value in headphones that cost so much money. i know thats hypocritical since i ve bought a pair of Tritton warheads but that was really my first gaming headset aside from a par of Turtle Beach X12s [which i also loved very much.

as i said, i have very simple ears, ive tried expensive headsets meant to blow me away and they do sound better, but i can spend a third the cost and get something that works just fine instead

Yes, glad you understand. 

Like I said, been there done that. 2 years ago I wouldn't dream of paying more than $100 for any headphone. I'd rather get a decent GPU + a $10 headset. Then the headset broke, and the guys here recommended a 'real brand' headphone. My first one was $40+ TAD-300, and that's enough to change my view completely. Now I'm using a $200+ headphone, and me 2 years ago would have called the me now a complete bonker for paying that price...

Judging by everyone talking about open headphones, I'm gonna go ahead and recommend the Pioneer SE-A1000. Sure, they seem cheap, and the cable is an unrealistic length of 18 feet (6 meters) but these sound very very good for the price, and they are my go-to headphones when I want to use open headphones, over the Sennheiser PC360 (basically HD518's with a mic on the side, and they sound very similar to HD558 and 598's). I've seen claims that these headphones sound extremely similar to HD600's. And sure they have a weird padding but they're very comfortable, at least for me. You might need to perform a quick modification to the headband if your head is not already very big, because these have a very large fit, but what I did was: open up one of the sides where the headband attaches and just do a knot or two on the elastic piece in the headband, and it got shorter to fit smaller heads. You can also make a hole in the elastic piece if you want to do that, but I found making a knot was easier and didn't actually modify the elastic at all, keeping it mint condition.

But if you want something that is more comfortable out of the box, Sennheiser HD558 are great open headphones, sound almost identical to the 598's, and by removing a bit of foam in the cups they supposedly sound exactly the same. also they're a little more neutral looking than the 598's. They also have a replacable cord, which is nice if you break it.

If you want closed headphones instead, for passive noise isolation and (usually) some more bass, I vote Beyerdynamic DT770, but keep in mind if you get the 250 ohm variant you might need a headphone amp, but only if it doesn't get loud enough for you, which you can only find out by trying them on your current setup(s).

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50