Well this is odd...

nicholician

I have a mechanical keyboard (Cherry MX Red switches) w/ a pretty nice mouse and an older laptop with membrane key switches and a track pad. You'd think that I'd be able to work better at that computer than on my old laptop given that I have nice peripherals that are very ergonomic, but for some reason I just can't work when I get on that computer, since I always find myself in my usual reclined position firing up a game in a short amount of time after trying to focus to no avail. And yet I can focus on whatever I need to do on my older laptop better.

I'm pretty sure it's the feel of the membrane switches actually. I'm much more accurate on my mechanical keyboard, and it's far more ergonomic for me, but typing is much more satisfying to me on membrane since I can feel the tactile bump more distinctly than just smashing the bottom of the keyboard. I've been using membrane all my life, and to me Red switches feel like picking up a controller to me (if I was a peasant) - It's time for some games when I feel them. 

TL;DR - I like membrane switches better than my Cherry MX Red switches for typing, since they give me the feeling that "It's time to play some games"

So, can anyone give me any recommendations for a good keyboard with a very distinct tactile bump that's also mechanical (I kind of don't want membrane switches since they're less ergonomic and I'm less accurate) that I can use for productivity? I'd also prefer if it could be 80%,, but 100% is fine (60% or "Poker" is unacceptable to me) 

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

thats because you picked red switches :P

brown or clear switches

You realize that the entire point of MX red switches is that there is no tactile bump, right?

There is a REASON why there are different types of MX switches.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Maybe you'd be better off with browns or blues.

N64 HTPC: [Completed]

Main PC: i7 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Formula | G Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | Zotac GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate 1TB Hybrid | Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | Corsair 1200i | Thermaltake Core P5

You realize that the entire point of MX red switches is that there is no tactile bump, right?

There is a REASON why there are different types of MX switches.

I'm quite aware of this, and that's why I bought them. I figured I'd try something new, and I've seen that they're really good for gaming.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

Perhaps topre switches like the one's featured on the CoolerMaster Novatouch TKL? Can anyone speak for those?

Edit: Wow that's expensive.

I'm quite aware of this, and that's why I bought them. I figured I'd try something new, and I've seen that they're really good for gaming.

well you should always try all the switches before buying a keyboard...

so honestly its your mistake for not knowing what you wanted before purchasing

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

well you should always try all the switches before buying a keyboard...

so honestly its your mistake for not knowing what you wanted before purchasing

True, I'll give you that. But I did buy my keyboard on boxing day, and since I'm still a student, my head was in vacation mode, so I was thinking about games a lot more than work. Sue me for getting my priorities wrong.

True, I'll give you that. But I did buy my keyboard on boxing day, and since I'm still a student, my head was in vacation mode, so I was thinking about games a lot more than work. Sue me for getting my priorities wrong.

lol there should be a type of switch that can change between having tactile feedback and not

Spoiler

Is suing someone because they told you to a valid reason to sue them? 

Anyway, I think that blues would be your best bet for tactile. I use browns, but I can't really feel the bump when I am typing quickly, I just bottom out the keys. You could also go for some of the more obscure cherry options like greens, whites, blacks, or grays. Those keyboards can be hard to find though.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

lol there should be a type of switch that can change between having tactile feedback and not

I was thinking this yesterday.

Is suing someone because they told you to a valid reason to sue them? 

Anyway, I think that blues would be your best bet for tactile. I use browns, but I can't really feel the bump when I am typing quickly, I just bottom out the keys. You could also go for some of the more obscure cherry options like greens, whites, blacks, or grays. Those keyboards can be hard to find though.

There's actually a store near my area where there are keyboards with black switches, and I've actually found that they'd be pretty nice for typing

There's actually a store near my area where there are keyboards with black switches, and I've actually found that they'd be pretty nice for typing

I know there are a few companies that make keyboards with black and green (the cooler master ones, I think) my point was just that those particular switches are far less common than your typical blue red and brown switches.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I know there are a few companies that make keyboards with black and green (the cooler master ones, I think) my point was just that those particular switches are far less common than your typical blue red and brown switches.

It may have actually been a Cooler Master keyboard that I was looking at lol