AKG K7XX VS Philips Fidelio x2

henkbouman

Hey,

Just saw that there is a new drop of AKG k7xx on massdrop. Since it's my birthday next week I'm going to buy a pair of new headphones. I mostly play fps games and of course listening to music. which pair do you recommend? The price tag doesn't matter.

Thanks,

Henk

Get the Philips Fidelio X2s.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

The Philips Fidelio X2's seem to be a well balanced pair of headphones according to what I'm seeing. Good neutral sound sig and a well rounded soundstage. They don't need a amp to use!

I own the AKG K7xx's and I can confirm they are one of the most comfortable pairs of headphones I've ever purchased... like pillows on you head... the sound signature is very similar to the AKG 7-hundred line except it has a improved low end. $200 well spent!

Another pair to look into would be the HD 650's their the former Sennheiser flagship headphones, can't go wrong with that reference pair. Some users to say the cans do blur the music however(some people say this smooths out the music and like it that way others don't). 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I don't think you can go wrong with either. The AKG is so much cheaper, though; even if you needed an amp you'd come in ahead of the X2 price.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. The AKG is so much cheaper, though; even if you needed an amp you'd come in ahead of the X2 price.

My issue with the K7XX is that the bass seemed rather enemic to me, it was rather unimpressive to me, at least on the pair that I listened to. It was only a brief listen, so it could have to do as much with the actual sound of the cans as my brain needing some 'burn in' time (as in, my brain needed to get used to the sound, nothing to do with the cans themselves)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Never listen to a pair of AKG K7XX, but I do have a pair of Fidelio X2. Although it has relatively low impedance. However the difference is huge with or without a amp/DAC. This headphone really comes alive with an amp/DAC.

My issue with the K7XX is that the bass seemed rather enemic to me, it was rather unimpressive to me, at least on the pair that I listened to. It was only a brief listen, so it could have to do as much with the actual sound of the cans as my brain needing some 'burn in' time (as in, my brain needed to get used to the sound, nothing to do with the cans themselves)

xtoria claimed the K7xx had less mid bass than the X2 but more sub-bass. Which is why I generally ignore what people say about audio equipment online and look at graphs instead.

You won't find much more in any open backed headphone.  Most in this price range are about quality, not quantity, to badly beat an already dead horse.  If anything I think the K7XX has slightly more bass than I would prefer (I'd trade some of it for a bit more sparkle on the other end of the frequency spectrum).

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

Here is an interesting review, comparing the X2 to the Q701:  http://www.neowin.net/news/philips-fidelio-x2-headphones-review

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

You won't find much more in any open backed headphone.  Most in this price range are about quality, not quantity, to badly beat an already dead horse.  If anything I think the K7XX has slightly more bass than I would prefer (I'd trade some of it for a bit more sparkle on the other end of the frequency spectrum).

My main source of comparison was the pair of HD650s that I own. They seemed to have a much greater quantity of bass. I'm decently versed in the quality over quantity thing, as my SE535s can testify. I just thought that they could use a touch more, which is why I was saying that it could have just been what my head was used to at the time. (I was at a meet, and going between a couple of $1000+ headphones, so that could be why my impressions may have been off)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

My main source of comparison was the pair of HD650s that I own. They seemed to have a much greater quantity of bass. I'm decently versed in the quality over quantity thing, as my SE535s can testify. I just thought that they could use a touch more, which is why I was saying that it could have just been what my head was used to at the time. (I was at a meet, and going between a couple of $1000+ headphones, so that could be why my impressions may have been off)

Trust me, I still listen to my gears right now and every god damned time i think "hmm the mid lacks the body it needs". Those orthos ruined my ears, especially alpha prime  :ph34r:

@SSL based on the FR graph, X2 has steeper roll off from 60 hz down to 10hz while akg roll off is much more linear. Probably the hump gives me impression of more midbass compared to akg

This is rather tough. I'd go with the Fidelio X2 since I've tried then and they are really good for the price. But then, this is probably my bias towards my dislike for Harman since I'm willing to bet they've messed up AKG's Q.C. department and their engineers. Harman has bought companies and made them produce crap. I mean, the AKG 55X line was good... but it doesn't even follow the AKG earpad design. Who the hell decided "lets make the unwearable to a certain degree... despite that the earpad opening is large... and lets have their earlobes feel like they are touching the drivers" and let it pass?

This isn't me exactly speaking as a guy who likes nice audio, but someone who hates companies that produce A-grade products with a C-grade Q.C and/or other crap.

So, yeah, try both headphones first, check graphs (I personally believe graphs can only do so much that you can probably have the best results, but if the Q.C. is bad the headphones have other trade-offs, its as good as a bad purchase), and judge them both based on what you think sounds better. 

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who cares I bought the Philips Fidelio x2 +mod mic 4.0+fiio e10k, I expected the Fidelio to be more comfortable but there still great

For anyone who cares I bought the Philips Fidelio x2 +mod mic 4.0+fiio e10k, I expected the Fidelio to be more comfortable but there still great

Nice, you should be more than happy with it. Fidelio X2 is more comfortable than my K7xx and HD600

Da hell, yesterday the X2 said it would be available in 5-8 weeks and suddenly they're in stock again....hngggggghhhhh tempted.

Wait for hifiman HE-400s, Fidelio x2 is good, but similiarly classed to K7xx and HD600/650

Wait for hifiman HE-400s, Fidelio x2 is good, but similiarly classed to K7xx and HD600/650

Is the 400s really gonna be priced that low? I mean, if its gonna sound similar to the 400i and the 400, I'm kinda not buying the alleged price release since if Hifiman's claims are what they are, it'd almost be somewhat a shot to the foot if they sold it at a similar price.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.