GTX 980TI Pricing

jinroh10

For 4k I don't think the 980Ti will cut it. 6GB may seem like enough but I've seen more then that at 1440p with the Titan X. Seen 6GB in Far Cry 4 and a whopping 8GB on Shadow of Mordor. Just imagine games next year and you'll see my point. People can say 12GB is a waste all they want but I'd rather have too much then not enough. I'm so sick of buying a card and then be VRAM bottlenecked less then a year later.

My vote is the Titan X and then add a second later when they are dirt cheap.

Exactly...this is why you get the Titan X and have head room for the next upcoming year.

Exactly...this is why you get the Titan X and have head room for the next upcoming year.

Yeah it is. It's not cheap by any means buy its a pretty damn powerful card. Damn near doubles my performance on BF4 compared to a 780 Classified.

I'm looking to upgrade my 780ti's too. 290x's are still very good cards. You might want to consider skipping this generation and wait for a bigger upgrade.

I probably will if the rumours are true and the chip itself is just a Hawaii GPU with HBM slapped on it.

I have two 980 classifieds and 100% agree with this.  They are NOT worth the extra money at all.  Go with a good non-reference model and call it a day.  I'll never buy one again.  The lightning series is way better than the classified series.  My 680's and 290x lightnings were boss compared to my junk 980's. 

I bloody love the 290x Lightning, these things easily put down a 295 in Crossfire enabled games.

CPU: Intel 5930k cooled by H110i GT Mobo: MSI X99S XPower AC RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum 2800mhz GPU: 2x MSi Lightning 290x SSD: 512GB 850 Pro HDD: 4&2TB WD Black PSU: Corsair AX1500i Case: Corsair 900D Monitor: 3xVG248QE  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark  Mouse: Logitech G700s  Headset: Astro A50

I like chocolate milk.

Overclocking it won't result in a Titan X. In any way, the Titan X will remain better.

1. You can still overclock the Titan X.

2. There's a lot of stuff diabled on the 980 Ti that prevents it from ever being as fast as the Titan X.

Anyway, the Titan X for a couple hundred more (as you're already spending around $800) would be a better buy, as you'll get a f*cking Titan X and 12GB of VRAM for high resolution gaming.

An overbuilt 980 TI like the classified or kingpin could very well possibly be faster than an overclocked titan X, depending on how well it overclocks.

The benchmarks shown already show it only being like 5% slower, you could easily make up the gap and outperform other OC'd titan x's depending on how well binned those overbuilt cards end up being.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I agree man I felt ripped off with the Classified card. The fact it's clocked the same as a reference card pretty much and there's absolutely no head room without a BIOS flash is just false advertisement. It literally doesn't do anything better than a reference card except maybe under LN2 which I doubt most people use lol.

You shouldn't be buying those cards if you don't plan on doing extreme things with it, like adding more voltage, BIOS modding and things like that. That is what it's designed to do after all.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

An overbuilt 980 TI like the classified or kingpin could very well possibly be faster than an overclocked titan X, depending on how well it overclocks.

The benchmarks shown already show it only being like 5% slower, you could easily make up the gap and outperform other OC'd titan x's depending on how well binned those overbuilt cards end up being.

It doesn't matter what they do to the card it will still have the exact same voltage restriction. Sure you can flash to a higher voltage BIOS but you can do the exact same thing on a Titan X. It defies logic that a cut down Titan X could ever be faster then an actual Titan X. People seem to think the 980Ti is some magical card that's some how faster then a Titan X. It's not gonna be faster, regardless what you do. Sure you can overclock it to close the gap but you can do the same thing with the Titan X. Anything that card will do the non cut down one will do better.

You shouldn't be buying those cards if you don't plan on doing extreme things with it, like adding more voltage, BIOS modding and things like that. That is what it's designed to do after all.

Who says I didn't? I flashed the BIOS and ran 1.35V into the thing and hit around 1450Mhz core clock which is a lot for a 780. The problem with that is, the voltage doesn't apply on startup. Nobody is gonna keep applying that voltage every start up it gets old. All the Classified cards are good for is benchmarks that's it. You're not gonna get this crazy boost in games and even if you did it's not worth running a card with those kinds of voltages as a 24/7 driver. You'd kill the card off pretty damn fast and it's not warrantied after doing that because you're not running the card like it should regardless what the package says it does.

It might sound crazy be me myself i like to seen the Geforce Gtx on the reference card glowing through my side window.

It might sound crazy be me myself i like to seen the Geforce Gtx on the reference card glowing through my side window.

I hated it on the Classified 780 Hydro Copper just because it was red. I love the looks of the Titan X Hydro Copper since the logo is white and the entire block lights up white. Looks sexy!

As for the Titan X, my moto is "It better to have and not need than to need and not have" so in that matter im sure the Titan X wins.

Who says I didn't? I flashed the BIOS and ran 1.35V into the thing and hit around 1450Mhz core clock which is a lot for a 780. The problem with that is, the voltage doesn't apply on startup. Nobody is gonna keep applying that voltage every start up it gets old. All the Classified cards are good for is benchmarks that's it. You're not gonna get this crazy boost in games and even if you did it's not worth running a card with those kinds of voltages as a 24/7 driver. You'd kill the card off pretty damn fast and it's not warrantied after doing that because you're not running the card like it should regardless what the package says it does.

Benchmarks are a big majority of what I do, so the card makes sense to me because it interests me putting my hardware to the bleeding edge. (I compete on hwbot.org and enjoy it quite a bit, which is what I meant by benchmarking)

I'm not sure why you think the 980 ti classy would be locked voltage wise, shortly after release a new version of classified controller overvolting tool will be released, just like all the other classies.

(Not sure if you've used the classified tool before, but it's insanely simple)

hF9tj.png

What I meant by it having the possibility to be faster was say you get to ~1525 or so on water on a titan X and you're voltage locked and can't push any further without modding the card and removing resistors or finding a way to soft-mod voltage somehow, or using an external VRM board.  Say you had a 980 TI Classified on water you could push to 1.4-1.5v for benchmarking runs and hit upwards of 1600, I'm fairly sure you'd be beating that Titan X at that point.  BUT, that depends on how far they cut the GPU down.

Sure you could do those modifications to run the Titan X at those voltages as well, but that's not what I was trying to say, sorry if you misunderstood me.

Firestrike benchmarks were already leaked, and if true, the overclocked 980 TI was pulling ahead of the stock Titan X. But until we know how cut down the 980 TI is, and what clocks those benchmarks were ran at, we can't be sure what the outcome would even be.  If it's only cut down a tiny bit, say 5-10%, I'm fairly sure a non reference PCB card with a good overclocking chip + more voltage could give the Titan X a run for it's money.

Benchmarks are a big majority of what I do, so the card makes sense to me because it interests me putting my hardware to the bleeding edge. (I compete on hwbot.org and enjoy it quite a bit, which is what I meant by benchmarking)

I'm not sure why you think the 980 ti classy would be locked voltage wise, shortly after release a new version of classified controller overvolting tool will be released, just like all the other classies.

What I meant by it having the possibility to be faster was say you get to ~1525 or so on water on a titan X and you're voltage locked and can't push any further without modding the card and removing resistors or finding a way to soft-mod voltage somehow, or using an external VRM board.  Say you had a 980 TI Classified on water you could push to 1.4-1.5v for benchmarking runs and hit upwards of 1600, I'm fairly sure you'd be beating that Titan X at that point.

Sure you could do those modifications to run the Titan X at those voltages as well, but that's not what I was trying to say, sorry if you misunderstood me.

Firestrike benchmarks were already leaked, and if true, the overclocked 980 TI was pulling ahead of the stock Titan X. But until we know how cut down the 980 TI is, and what clocks those benchmarks were ran at, we can't be sure.  If it's only cut down a tiny bit, say 5-10%, I'm fairly sure a non reference PCB card with a good overclocking chip + more voltage could give the Titan X a run for it's money.

To be fair, if you wanted to chase top benchmark scores you'd have Titan X's. The only way you'd really destroy the Titan X with a 980Ti is using LN2. Being under water isn't gonna magically make the card do more then what it's capable of. Hell I wished it was since then I'd have a fast card. Take for instance the 780 Classified, I barely got more out of it under water then people were getting out of it with air. Both had the same modified BIOS but it didn't matter. If you were to BIOS flash a reference 980Ti with a Classified and apply the exact same BIOS I could almost bet they would both overclock nearly to the same limit. Don't let the name fool you, the card isn't gonna magically do much since even with the EVBot and modified BIOS the card will still be voltage locked down and that's something that's embedded within the physical card. Can't remember what it was exactly on the 780 Classified but there was a limit on how much voltage you could use regardless how you did it. The physical card had a limit set on it by Nvidia that no BIOS flash or tool could get rid of. Ask some of the guys on EVGA forums, they will tell you there's still a hard limit on it regardless if it's Classified, Kingpin, or reference. 

All those record setting benchmarks are done with the best cherry picked cards they have. Nobody here could ever get a card like that because they are not for sale. They are used for one purpose and one purpose only, to beat records. 

To be fair, if you wanted to chase top benchmark scores you'd have Titan X's. The only way you'd really destroy the Titan X with a 980Ti is using LN2. Being under water isn't gonna magically make the card do more then what it's capable of. Hell I wished it was since then I'd have a fast card. Take for instance the 780 Classified, I barely got more out of it under water then people were getting out of it with air. Both had the same modified BIOS but it didn't matter. If you were to BIOS flash a reference 980Ti with a Classified and apply the exact same BIOS I could almost bet they would both overclock nearly to the same limit. Don't let the name fool you, the card isn't gonna magically do much since even with the EVBot and modified BIOS the card will still be voltage locked down and that's something that's embedded within the physical card. Can't remember what it was exactly on the 780 Classified but there was a limit on how much voltage you could use regardless how you did it. The physical card had a limit set on it by Nvidia that no BIOS flash or tool could get rid of. Ask some of the guys on EVGA forums, they will tell you there's still a hard limit on it regardless if it's Classified, Kingpin, or reference.

Is it possible to flash an EVGA 780 SC 6GB? That's the card I'm currently using and what will the flash do differently?

q

I'm not sure where you're seeing that there's voltage limits, my 780 TI Classified has gone to 1.4v with ease with the classified controller (measured with a DMM), and many other people on kingpin cooling are confirming it goes to 1.65v on KPE's just running the classified tool.

Is it possible to flash an EVGA 780 SC 6GB? That's the card I'm currently using and what will the flash do differently?

I'm sure you can go check out overclockers forums that's where most the BIOS are.

I'm not sure where you're seeing that there's voltage limits, my 780 TI Classified has gone to 1.4v with ease with the classified controller (measured with a DMM), and many other people on kingpin cooling are confirming it goes to 1.65v on KPE's just running the classified tool.

I believe the hard coded restriction is 1.5v for the 780/Ti can't go beyond that. I'm not sure what the hard coded restriction is for the X and Ti but I'm sure they are the exact same.

You have to remember, no board partner is allowed to defy whatever Nvidia puts in place. It doesn't matter if it's the Kingpin, Lightning, etc. The card is required to run within certain specifications no matter what. If they were to go against those demands they will no longer be able to sell their cards again. Why else do you think the EVBot was pulled off the market as soon as Nvidia Greenlight was issued? It's because it's a tool that is used to defy what voltage the cards are supposed to run at. So even using BIOS flashes, EVBot, or whatever, the card is restricted on a hardware level not to go past a certain voltage.