"Clean Build" by Viepert

Viepert

Heey fellas,

sow my first buildlog. First off, don't expect a update every day. I work shifts in a steel plant sow my time is very limited.
Second, the idea for this build. I needed a new case for my htpc. The system is in a Fractal Design Core 1000 now.
And for my new toy i wanted something special. Everywhere i look on forums people always try to show as little cable is possible, in another words, cablemanagement.
I thought i would take it to another level, hence the name "Clean Build" Now the outside of the case isn't going to be afffected much other than a nice paintjob.
The inside is where it all happends.

Now, the case i will be working with. Since it has to hold alot of hdd's is though, maybe a servercase.
Naaah not enough room. Then a bigtower, naaah toooo ........ "standard"
Then i saw a case for sale on Netherlands biggest secondhand website for pc parts.
It may be the biggest cube case out there, not taking in the monster Caselabs cube.

It's a Yeong Yang YY-0420.

1_zpsa7975a51.jpg

Probably one of the biggest cases i've worked on. And i had a 800D......
Like i said the ouside isn't going to be affected much. I have a color in mind to go with the mobo i want/have.
It is a metallic blue with a little sparkle in it.

6_zpsc9fadcad.jpg

The rest of the case, some pics ............

2_zpse1ee8c33.jpg

3_zps755b1211.jpg

4_zpsde127bc4.jpg

5_zps3454b518.jpg

Sow far so good, this is the first intro to my casemod.
Like i said, its for my htpc, so don't expect to find high-end hardware in this one.
Just a guy trying to make a nice casemod.

And lastly, a little taste of what's to come

7_zpsc9406488.jpg

Next update.......

Got started on the case today. I was in bed at about 7 after the nightshift, but i couldn't sleep.
I wanted to get going on the case. Maybe it will be done by the time my clan has the lan (sept).

First i started to dremel out the fanguards, nothing worse then to see those fugly things
+ im going to put wire fanguards all around.

8_zpsd4cb0e6b.jpg

9_zps2e4f72b8.jpg

Then, I took a shot at making a window. I tried to make it as big as possible.

But to make it look better I used the same distance on the left side of the vents that is on the right side.
Imo it looks better then just doing the window anywhere.

10_zps47e77609.jpg

11_zps4c6b53c6.jpg

As the build is called "Clean Build" i'm going to make alu plates to go on the inside.
At least the tray and bottom. I'm not sure what i'm gonna do to the front.
If i put a cover there, i probably have to put in fans on the bottom for airflow.
Thinking i'm gonna do a modders mesh plate there, so it looks clean when it's painted, but i can use the airflow of the front fans.
Here is the template for the tray section.

12_zps2b29b441.jpg

13_zps2e448516.jpg

My inittial thought was to use rivets to secure the alu plates inside the case.
Then my dad mentioned there is stuff to glue it. After looking it up in the local hardware store I found this.

14_zps6a490bb8.jpg

That's all for now. Next up is a fanhole on the top, where the cpu cooler will be.
And the making of the first alu plate. Till next time.

Btw, this is the case where my htpc is in now.

15_zps29e13afd.jpg

Looks really nice! Can't wait till you putt the other components in and continue with the build! 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

I remember these cases from way back! Always wanted one, never had the money. This will

be a nice trip down memory lane for me. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Looks really nice! Can't wait till you putt the other components in and continue with the build! 

I'l  be getting my mobo on monday, only thing i need then is a dvd rom and cpu.

The other components i already got or going to recycle from the old htpc.

I remember these cases from way back! Always wanted one, never had the money. This will
be a nice trip down memory lane for me.  :D

Me too, my cousin had one about 14/15 years ago. I always thought it would be nice to mod one.

And here it is  :)

Tonight i'm gonna pick up the sheets of alu and mesh. Then tommorow i can start with sawing out the back piece.

Subbed!! :D  btw did you spray any other coatings other than the paint itself?

Subbed!! :D  btw did you spray any other coatings other than the paint itself?

Nope, it was a special paint in home depot. But they don't have it anymore, so i hope i have enough to finish this case.

If i don't, my friend's son works at a paintshop for cars. Sow it will work out one way or another ;)

That can't be a case.

Sir, that is what I call Siamese cases.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Small update.....

Today i went to work on the first alu panel. With the cartboard template it was easy.

Alot easier then the way i used to do it, with normal paper.....

Still have to make the holes for the motherboard standoffs, but that will come tommorow.

16_zpsee85ef44.jpg

Next i did a little work at the front. Drilled out all the holes in the doors and bay covers for airflow and looks.

17_zpsabb30ada.jpg

18_zpsfca66206.jpg

Next up,

the bottom alu panel and mesh panel. After that i have to wait for the motherboard.

CU next time.

Looking good!

Are those fan filters on the front doors stock? If so, they were way ahead of their time. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Yep, i was suprised by that too. It's screwed in place, but very nice it has it stock.

This case is corsairs air 540's grandpa

curious to see the final build

This case is corsairs air 540's grandpa

curious to see the final build

it does look like it. I was looking for the Air 540 to do this casemod in.

But budget and time wasn't enough. The Air 540 isnt availible in NL just yet.

Very small update....

Finished the bottom alu plate. Its already glue'd in, then i saw it was a bit to large.
But nothing the Dremel won't fix. Also because of the mesh panel that's gonna be there, you'll hardly notice.
Don't mind the scuff marks, before painting i'm gonna sand and sandblast the case at my work ;)

19_zpsfbe850c6.jpg

Definitely looks interesting, looking forward for more updates :).

Hardware update.....

Just wanted to show what will be in the case when it's done.

Old parts i will take from the old htpc :

- Corsair CX430

- OCZ 60Gb ssd + hdd's

- Corsair 8Gb XMS3 DDR3-1600

New parts that i got second hand :

- Asus P8P67 (rev3.0)

- Intel i3-3220 (got it cheap, only 2 weeks old, 50% of normal price)

- Sapphire HD4670 Silent

- dvd player (later to be upgraded to bluray)

Only thing that i don't have is a cpu cooler. Sow the stock Intel cooler will do for now.

When i will upgrade it, it will probably be a closed loop watercooler. Maybe something like a H60 or H80.

I was planning on doing a "moddermesh" on the vertical midplate. But when i was going to buy it, it was 4x the price of a normal sheet of alu.

That really isnt in the budget. Sow my drill is going to make overtime, because i will make a mesh myself ;)

The way it will look in the case (mobo/4670)

20_zps9d9a4b82.jpg

And the start of the mesh

21_zpsb590ed89.jpg

22_zpsf8502a34.jpg

Next update, i will be testing out the mobo and cpu. That will be on friday.

After that the real fun will begin, keep watching gents ;)

Ah yes, making your own mesh out of sheet metal with a drill. I've done that, hella lot of

work. Although it looks like are you are going to be more precise than I was (I couldn't

etch the guide lines into the piece because I needed to preserve the powder coat which was

already on it, makes it a bit trickier to be precise). Have fun drilling. :D

Yea, its alot of work, but hopefully worth it. I'm just gonna do abit every day.

Half a hour and i got 1/4 done. Sow 3 more days ;)

Sounds about right from my experience :D

Great Build pal! Keep the updates coming!

Tommorow (friday) my weekend starts, sow expect a update tommorow night.

I hope i will finish the mesh by then.

Ok, fellas, i have a problem.
The motherboard wont boot, when i have ram in the 2 right slots..
Its fine when i use the 2 left slots. U guy's think the ram controller is partially dead?
But the ram controller is in the cpu, isn't it.
Anybody got any idea's before i spend more money on a new mobo.

I've had this problem on my Asus P8P67. It was definitely not the memory controller on that

because when I use the same CPU on another board I don't have this problem. Do you have extra

DIMMs you can use to test if it would work with all slots filled? Or another board in which to

test the CPU?

EDIT: Does the system not boot or does the M/B not POST? My problem was with the M/B

not POSTing.

I've had this problem on my Asus P8P67. It was definitely not the memory controller on that

because when I use the same CPU on another board I don't have this problem. Do you have extra

DIMMs you can use to test if it would work with all slots filled? Or another board in which to

test the CPU?

EDIT: Does the system not boot or does the M/B not POST? My problem was with the M/B

not POSTing.

Haven't really thought about that.

My gaming rig is Z77 sow i could use that ram to test or put the i3-3220 in that to test, but i rather test the ram first.

More work to swap the cpu's ;)

I will test ram tommorow, tonight i have the nightshift (22:00-06:00)