Buy new license now or later?

TheKDub
Go to solution Solved by FizzyFantom,

Alright, then I guess I should get it now.

I could also get windows 7 professional SP1 64-bit from best buy for $135, think I should go for that instead? According to the windows 10 page on wikipedia, windows 7 pro, windows 7 ultimate, and windows 8.1 pro will all upgrade to windows 10 pro.

They certainly should do, it would be a huge oversight on Microsofts part if they didn't. Would you need Windows Pro over Home? Is there anything you specifically need like the support for more than 16GB of RAM or joining Windows Domains? If not you should save yourself the money and order an OEM home licence (or retail home licence if you prefer).

So I got my samsung 850 evo 250GB SSD today, which means its time for a fresh install of windows, right now I could get a new license for windows 7 home premium 64-bit on newegg for $100 so I can upgrade to 10 for free when it is released, or I can continue using the "invalid" license that I've got right now until windows 10 is released and then get a new copy of windows 7 or something and upgrade to 10 from that.

I'm not sure if the price for windows 7 will end up increasing or decreasing once 10 is released as I'm sure 7 will be harder to find, what are your opinions on this? should I get the new key now or wait?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Or you could just get one of those $20 w8.1 keys from G2A and start getting used to the amazing os that is windows 8.1.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Or you could just get one of those $20 w8.1 keys from G2A and start getting used to the amazing os that is windows 8.1.

I could, but how trustworthy are those keys? What if the seller ends up selling the key to someone else as well or uses it and then it becomes invalid? (Or has M$ made it so it won't become invalid, they just won't be able to use it?)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I could, but how trustworthy are those keys? What if the seller ends up selling the key to someone else as well or uses it and then it becomes invalid? (Or has M$ made it so it won't become invalid, they just won't be able to use it?)

I've heard a lot of stories where peoples' keys are being revoked because they were purchased through Microsoft's Dreamspark program.

I've heard a lot of stories where peoples' keys are being revoked because they were purchased through Microsoft's Dreamspark program.

but dreamspark keys last forever, so how would they possibly know.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

but dreamspark keys last forever, so how would they possibly know.

Supposedly, Microsoft checks the keys, and sees the keys which were purchased through the program, being installed on a machine across the country, under a different name, on custom hardware, etc. Pretty much it looks shady, so they revoke it.

Supposedly, Microsoft checks the keys, and sees the keys which were purchased through the program, being installed on a machine across the country, under a different name, on custom hardware, etc. Pretty much it looks shady, so they revoke it.

my buddy has an oem key working on two computers so I dunno how those checks actually work.  :lol:  :lol:

Spoiler

my buddy has an oem key working on two computers so I dunno how those checks actually work.  :lol:  :lol:

This. I've got two friends and one of my own machines using those keys and they've yet to be invalidated.

I don't think anyone knows how Microsoft's licence checking works.

My only comment on buying cheap keys on G2A is that some of the keys are from MSDN or TechNet and are set to expire. I would personally avoid buying these cheap keys, but feel free to do what you will with your money.

You can use the Windows 7 trial for up to 90 days by renewing the trial time (up to two times), after which it will complain about being unlicenced, but I would buy Windows 7 now. I expect that Windows 10 will be released within a year for you to get your free upgrade, but also various sites are sticking "while stocks last" and similar on Windows 7 OEM keys, suggesting that you may not be able to get Windows 7 closer to Windows 10's release.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

I could also get windows 7 professional SP1 64-bit from best buy for $135, think I should go for that instead? According to the windows 10 page on wikipedia, windows 7 pro, windows 7 ultimate, and windows 8.1 pro will all upgrade to windows 10 pro.

They certainly should do, it would be a huge oversight on Microsofts part if they didn't. Would you need Windows Pro over Home? Is there anything you specifically need like the support for more than 16GB of RAM or joining Windows Domains? If not you should save yourself the money and order an OEM home licence (or retail home licence if you prefer).

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Alright, I guess I'll just go with home premium then :P