2 psu's?

FinleyPrice_

Hey, i bought a new gpu and not enough power in current system but i have an old 400w psu and i was wondering if could run everything else on the current psu and just hook up the gpu to the second psu? or is that bad?

Hey, i bought a new gpu and not enough power in current system but i have an old 400w psu and i was wondering if could run everything else on the current psu and just hook up the gpu to the second psu? or is that bad?

Technically you could, do you leave your system on 24/7? if not would be a pain

Technically you could, do you leave your system on 24/7? if not would be a pain

not 24/7 no why would that be a problem?

not 24/7 no why would that be a problem?

Because you'll likely need to start each power supply individually.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Because you'll likely need to start each power supply individually.

thats not too bad is it

thats not too bad is it

you would need to leave the 24 pin of the second power supply exposed, and jump it every time, and if you did that it should work

you would need to leave the 24 pin of the second power supply exposed, and jump it every time, and if you did that it should work

and how would i do that???

Seems like too much trouble, better upgrade your PSU as well, if needed.

What are the rest of your specs?

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

this is generally a thing only done by bitcoin miners back in the day.

you'll be better off buying a new, bigger power supply and powering your entire system with that.

it"ll be safer, more aestheticly pleasing, easier, and more future proof.

also, the old PSU isnt lost when you replace it, you can keep it for a low-power build, or for testing hardware.

besides, generally the higher-wattage power supplies are better quality.

There is a single green line on the 24 pin ATX connector.

If you connect it to one of the black wires (ground) the PSU will switch on.

If you don't want to do any fancy modding yourself, there is a simple pcb with a Molex, a relais and a 24 pin connector.

Connect one of your molex from the Main PSU (thats connected to the Mainboard) to it and the 24 pin from your secondary PSU and they both switch on, when you power on the Computer.

Just make sure to disconnect / witch off both PSUs, when you are working on your system.

You could even use the delay version, to keep your fans spinning (if they are connected to the 2nd PSU) for a few seconds, after you switched off your system, to get all the heat out of the case.

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

this is generally a thing only done by bitcoin miners back in the day.

you'll be better off buying a new, bigger power supply and powering your entire system with that.

it"ll be safer, more aestheticly pleasing, easier, and more future proof.

also, the old PSU isnt lost when you replace it, you can keep it for a low-power build, or for testing hardware.

besides, generally the higher-wattage power supplies are better quality.

seems wierd to say back in the day for bitcoin mining lol

and how would i do that???

http://www.amazon.com/24-Pin-STARTER-BRIDGE-WITHOUT-MOTHERBOARD/dp/B00K38IKRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432829990&sr=8-1&keywords=power+supply+jumper

or could use a paperclip. I have little jumper cables I got with my rasberry pi for working with bread boards, I use it to jump a power supply to run LED strips

seems wierd to say back in the day for bitcoin mining lol

well, bitcoin mining on GPUs started to get quite inefficient 3-4 years ago.

and are you REALLY gonna use a paperclip to turn on your computer? i feel like thats a recipe for disaster.

even i'm not crazy enough for that, and i'm still using a computer that's been on fire 3 times.

well, bitcoin mining on GPUs started to get quite inefficient 3-4 years ago.

and are you REALLY gonna use a paperclip to turn on your computer? i feel like thats a recipe for disaster.

even i'm not crazy enough for that, and i'm still using a computer that's been on fire 3 times.

asics where not even a thing until 2 years ago. 4 years ago? bitcoin was worth 2-4$ I believe. thats when I first started to look at it, about 4 and a half years ago. 

Yeah? the wire that comes to actually jump it with my power supply is a smaller gauge then a paperclip, so dont see any harm

asics where not even a thing until 2 years ago. 4 years ago? bitcoin was worth 2-4$ I believe. thats when I first started to look at it, about 4 and a half years ago. 

Yeah? the wire that comes to actually jump it with my power supply is a smaller gauge then a paperclip, so dont see any harm

its not the width of the cable that turns me off, but the fact you're powering up two halves of your pc at different times.

its not the width of the cable that turns me off, but the fact you're powering up two halves of your pc at different times.

im sure if the GPU is getting power when the rest of the system is off it shouldnt cause issues. 

-hopefully 

-hopefully 

even if you get assurance of the community, are you gonna bet your brand new shiny gpu on that "hopefully" ?

even if you get assurance of the community, are you gonna bet your brand new shiny gpu on that "hopefully" ?

if its brand new, could always RMA, or could do a quick google search, im sure there where hundreds, if not thousands of people who used just a paperclip/starting up parts at diffrent times with mining. 

Why are you arguing about starting the PSU manually, if you can simply automate the process and switch both PSU's on nearly the same time?

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

I agree with the relay idea. One $5 relay from radio shack and a spare molex from the main power supply and you're set. Turn on the pc, the molex gets its power, closes the relay which goes between the green and ground on the secondary PS. 4 wires and 1 relay for automatic power on and power off.

Or just get a bigger PS, whatever. 

Makin' and breakin' wafers.

all you would have to do is jump the green wire (most of the time) with a ground on the 24 pin and leave it grounded. the switch on the back will now turn the graphics card on and off just by the switch no need to jump it ever time. and make sure to start the second psu before the cpu so everything boots alright. At least thats what i'm lead to believe but i haven't done it myself.

I'm Probably at work so expect a reply either really fast or really slow :D