How are optimizations done?

IMPERIUS

Hi!

Can someone explain to me how one thing can be better optimised than another? For example games being badly optimized on the pc ports? 

I mean if I use the simplest terms how can one command (e.g. render a tree) be badly optimized? Is there like a special way to program the software to be effective?

And sorry, I'm a big noob. I know I am

Thanks

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Models optimization 

For example :ba66dfb267.jpg

The one on the left has been optimized and requires less power to render . For almost the same look of the object . 

Sorry if explanation isn't the best it's just my understanding of it .

Things can be calculated in different ways. Think of multiplying numbers by addition instead of multiplication. Like 17 times 19 becomes 19 + 19 + 19 + 19... and takes ages to figure out, vs. just multiplying. Well actually I'd calculate 17 x 20 and then subtract 17 if I was calculating that in my head, but you get the point.

Models optimization 

For example :ba66dfb267.jpg

The one on the left has been optimized and requires less power to render .

So basically ACU has bad model renderings?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Hi!

Can someone explain to me how one thing can be better optimised than another? For example games being badly optimized on the pc ports? 

I mean if I use the simplest terms how can one command (e.g. render a tree) be badly optimized? Is there like a special way to program the software to be effective?

And sorry, I'm a big noob. I know I am

Thanks

I'm not really sure... I'd assume it's something to do with having different paths of code that do the same thing. If you can get the same thing done with less code, it's better. It's like taking two different roads that get to the same place, but one is a lot faster then the other

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

basicly, lets say we have a program thats made for one system, and later gets ported to a different system.

on system 1 the API can handle printNumber() when a short is filled in, and for code reasons, the code calculates it in an integer.

code as such:

integer number;//math algorythmshort numberToPrint = (short)number;//cast to short for later use//some more codeprintNumber((short)numberToPrint); 

system 2 is a bit more advanced, and needs an integer for printNumber(), a bad conversion would be like this:

integer number;//math algorythmshort numberToPrint = (short)number; //cast to short for later use//some more codeprintNumber((int)numberToPrint); //cast to integer for API

a better conversion would be:

integer number;//math algorythm//some more code, adjusted to all use intprintNumber(numberToPrint); //no more need for casting

in reality these inefficiencies are infinitely more complex and hard to find, but they can actually make the difference between 30FPS and 120FPS in some cases.