Mini ATX Build

you would be better with a H-series m/board and an i5 or i7 non K cpu. 

got to love Asus components

That looks awesome, will it definitely fit inside the system?

you would be better with a H-series m/board and an i5 or i7 non K cpu. 

I'm planning to go with the 4690 as I listed above, what would be the advantages of a H-series?

whats the monitor?

I'm planning to go with the 4690 as I listed above, what would be the advantages of a H-series?

The Fractal Design Node 304 will accommodate cpu coolers up to 165mm tall. The NH-U12S is 158mm high.

The Asrock H97M-ITX/AC motherboard listed in your updated build in post #18 is an H-series motherboard. H97 tend to be a little less expensive than Z97 motherboards since the chipset (H97) is less expensive. H97 does not support SLI. But that is moot on mini-ITX motherboards. Nor does it support overclocking.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

The Fractal Design Node 304 will accommodate cpu coolers up to 165mm tall. The NH-U12S is 158mm high.

The Asrock H97M-ITX/AC motherboard listed in your updated build in post #18 is an H-series motherboard. H97 tend to be a little less expensive than Z97 motherboards since the chipset (H97) is less expensive. H97 does not support SLI. But that is moot on mini-ITX motherboards. Nor does it support overclocking.

Awesome, thanks for that!

Like someone else has already said its better than the one you originally picked, as that would be ok for an office or super cheap non performance build, but as you want to do some gaming a H-series is like the happy medium m/board, it will have more and better features than the one you had before (all though you have now updated, thank goodness) and as your going with a non K CPU then it makes sense and keeps it simple (stock speeds). now if you wanted to upgrade in the near future i would suggest a Z-series m/board but it cost more, its all about what you can get and afford. 

My rig i have (in my profile) i have a Z-series m/board because i wanted to run super fast ram and have a high performance board with amazing features on-board but went with a non-k cpu on purpose as i wanted to keep the heat down as its a m-itx air cooler system, and also for cost. and everyone usually has the 4690k or 4790k cpu on a 1150 socket rig, i wanted to go for the 4790 (non k) because i wanted hyper-threading and the stock speeds and performance of a 4790 is way more needed for all the programmes, software and games i run, and i wanted to be different and bug all the k-series people cos i can. 

what you have chosen now is a really nice rig and i totally understand everyone is different and everyone has different budget.  

I am glad you have come to this forum and asked for advice. 

I personally ran 8GB until a few months ago when I started having issues when using Chrome heavily, would prefer if he didn't run into similar issues.

good choice man, 16 gig is the norm now :) future-proof i like it. 

I just noticed in your build, that monitor, its 8 ms response time, please look at others 5 ms or less if possible, for gaming you want 5 or less. 2 is amazing if you can. 

also 23 / 24 inch is the sweet spot for single monitor.