Getting email's from isp/hbo?

cooperb21

Got this from my isp/hbo... should i be worried? Or is this to scare people off this sort of thing?

Problem is i cant get HBO go in Canada and dont watch cable or want it. Itunes does not even have it for sale?

HBO has some serious problems make your product readily available to buy and i would support it... Im not going to spend a fortune of cable. 

Dear Sir/Madam and/or Sir/Madam Subscriber,

We are writing this message on behalf of HOME BOX OFFICE, INC. ("HBO"), with physical offices located at 1100 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036, United States (Attention: Director of Anti-Piracy).

We have received information leading us to believe that an individual has utilized the IP address 74.15.98.176 at the noted date and time below to host and/or facilitate the downloading and/or streaming of content (listed below) in which HBO is the copyright owner of such content (the "HBO Properties"). No one is authorized to exhibit, reproduce, transmit, or otherwise distribute HBO Properties without the express written permission of HBO, and the unauthorized distribution of HBO Properties constitutes copyright infringement. This conduct may also violate other laws, international law, and/or treaty obligations.
The title in question is: Game of Thrones

As the owner of and/or subscriber using the IP address, HBO requests that you immediately take steps to prevent further downloading or uploading of HBO content without authorization.

We have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials described above is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law, and we are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.

This letter is not a complete statement of HBO's rights in connection with this matter, and nothing contained herein constitutes an express or implied wavier of any rights or remedies of HBO in connection with this matter, all of which are expressly reserved.

We appreciate your assistance and thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Your prompt response is requested.

Any further enquiries can be directed to copyright@ip-echelon.com. Please include this message with your enquiry to ensure a quick response.

- ------------- Infringement Details ----------------------------------
Title: Game of Thrones
Timestamp: 
IP Address: 
Port: 
Type: BitTorrent
Torrent Hash: 
Filename:- Game.of.Thrones.S05E06.HDTV.x264-ASAP
Filesize: 338 MB
- ---------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a router they can't prove that you have downloaded the TV show since you can always claim someone is using your Wi-Fi without you knowing any of it so you can't be hold responsible. In other words, this is just scare tactics and your ISP can't do sh*t, as they cannot prove anything. A word of advice though, if you are downloading stuff, do it on an external drive so in case anything happens you can always destroy the evidence. ;)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

If you have a router they can't prove that you have downloaded the TV show since you can always claim someone is using your Wi-Fi without you knowing any of it so you can't be hold responsible. In other words, this is just scare tactics and your ISP can't do sh*t, as they cannot prove anything. A word of advice though, if you are downloading stuff, do it on an external drive so in case anything happens you can always destroy the evidence. ;)

I don't see how HBO could do anything since HBO isn't (to my knowledge) available in Canada. My friends up there used to have to pirate DirectTV because it just....wasn't legal to have directTV, Although it was somehow legal to pirate it, but it was illegal to repair the pirated card in the receiver box thingy..

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If you have a router they can't prove that you have downloaded the TV show since you can always claim someone is using your Wi-Fi without you knowing any of it so you can't be hold responsible. 

You will find most ISP's have a clause in the signing on contract that says YOU are responsible for all use of your network, if somebody gets access to your network due to your lack of security its your fault and you will be held responsible.

The best suggestion I can give you is to only download when using some form of VPN.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

You will find most ISP's have a clause in the signing on contract that says YOU are responsible for all use of your network, if somebody gets access to your network due to your lack of security its your fault and you will be held responsible.

The best suggestion I can give you is to only download when using some form of VPN.

Even if the wifi was coming off of their modem and you weren't instructed in how to turn it off? (such as my router/modem, which I had to figure out on my own)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Actually, I am almost 100% sure in the US there is a law that came into force a couple of years ago, which basically states that no one is liable for piracy if he can prove his router is easily hackable, which is pretty much everyone, since router security sucks big time. Also most people have incredibly stupid passwords... 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I know the likely hood of HBO or bell suing me is low... it costs more to hire a lawyer then they would get out of me its only a 500-5,000 max fine. 

Im more worried from them shutting down my service 

Actually, I am almost 100% sure in the US there is a law that came into force a couple of years ago, which basically states that no one is liable for piracy if he can prove his router is easily hackable, which is pretty much everyone, since router security sucks big time. Also most people have incredibly stupid passwords... 

HBO Canada is owned by Bell Media and Bell Canada is my ISP.

I'm pretty sure using the old "someone was using my wifi without my knowledge" excuse just isn't going to fly.  If that were the case, all the pedophiles and the entire Tor network would simply hide behind an insecure wireless network and be free from prosecution.  It would be highly foolish to continue stealing pirated content if that's the only excuse available.

I'm no lawyer, but I'm sure if HBO decided to pressure your ISP (regardless of country), your ISP would probably rather drop you as a customer than deal with the legal issues of copyright infringement.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

I'm pretty sure using the old "someone was using my wifi without my knowledge" excuse just isn't going to fly.  If that were the case, all the pedophiles and the entire Tor network would simply hide behind an insecure wireless network and be free from prosecution.  It would be highly foolish to continue stealing pirated content if that's the only excuse available.

I'm no lawyer, but I'm sure if HBO decided to pressure your ISP (regardless of country), your ISP would probably rather drop you as a customer than deal with the legal issues of copyright infringement.

Yes but how is hbo getting the info that of what your downloading is Bell not breaking the law by selling your info to hbo and other company's even if its illegal downloads?

Bell and Rogers are not even legally allowed to keep track of your online activity let alone tell HBO your download there episodes something is wrong here. 

Yes but how is hbo getting the info that of what your downloading is Bell not breaking the law by selling your info to hbo and other company's even if its illegal downloads?

Bell and Rogers are not even legally allowed to keep track of your online activity let alone tell HBO your download there episodes something is wrong here. 

I'm sure HBO has an entire department dedicated to trying to download their own pirated content via torrent sites.  Whoever they're successfully able to download from is then contacted.  Your IP address is easily obtained using that method.  Not only that, but HBO could have been one of the peers your torrenting client connected to in order to download your episode from.  They just sit back and collect the IP addresses of all those who try to download.  It's pretty simple if you think about it.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

I'm sure HBO has an entire department dedicated to trying to download their own pirated content via torrent sites.  Whoever they're successfully able to download from is then contacted.  Your IP address is easily obtained using that method.  Not only that, but HBO could have been one of the peers your torrenting client connected to in order to download your episode from.  They just sit back and collect the IP addresses of all those who try to download.  It's pretty simple if you think about it.

So my choices are use a vpn if i torrent? Can they track your from streaming sites? Like this? http://www.free-tv-video-online.info/internet/game_of_thrones/

So my choices are use a vpn if i torrent? Can they track your from streaming sites? Like this? http://www.free-tv-video-online.info/internet/game_of_thrones/

I'm afraid to violate any forum guidelines.  Without looking, I'm sure one exists prohibiting any discussion of activities deemed illegal. :(  Truth be told, it is stealing.. even if 'everyone does it'.

It's in the Code of Conduct that you're not allowed to discuss about pirating or topics regarding how to circumvent copyright laws etc etc.

As for those emails you're being sent, it's just ISPs doing their "legal" obligation to forward the emails sent to by the copyright holder to the IP Address that was caught downloading illegal content. Even though as of 2015, if you're in Canada,  you can legally be fined up to $5000 per media for personal use or $10k per media for commercial use, no one has yet to be hit with one of those law suits.

Most of the time those emails are sent by companies representing the studio using these tactics to gain revenue for their own company. None of the revenue generated ever really goes back to the copyright holder.

But these territories are always do as your own risk kind of thing. :)

All ISP routers use the same firmware per model, with little customization to the web GUI. It has been proven time and time again that they are insecure out of the box, and have many SSH vulnerabilities pre-coded into the firmware. ISP's such as Telus don't call these backdoors vulnerabilities; in fact, they're often a feature built in on purpose to allow updates to the modem / router remotely, even if you change or mangle the settings. These same "features" can and have been used by people running port scanners on their node subnet leased from their own ISP to break into and monitor connections.

By this logic, ISP's are actually the ones liable as they are providing, and in many cases require the use of their modems in order to receive service. If it can be proven that you, as an individual person, were the one physically sitting in front of the computer, commencing the download, clicking on the buttons, making the magic happen, then you indeed are responsible for breaking the law.

I don't doubt that these production companies have departments dedicated to torrenting their own content to catch others downloading / uploading as well. However, they don't realize that by torrenting their own content, they themselves are supporting, promoting, and making available the content via means and methods they're trying to fight. This makes their lawsuits completely worthless, assuming you can prove they were seeding portions of the files to you as a counter suit / point in a court of law.

Please Note: IANAL; see local legal counsel in your jurisdiction for real lawyer speak should you find yourself in a real legal situation.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I don't doubt that these production companies have departments dedicated to torrenting their own content to catch others downloading / uploading as well. However, they don't realize that by torrenting their own content, they themselves are supporting, promoting, and making available the content via means and methods they're trying to fight. This makes their lawsuits completely worthless, assuming you can prove they were seeding portions of the files to you as a counter suit / point in a court of law.

Please Note: IANAL; see local legal counsel in your jurisdiction for real lawyer speak should you find yourself in a real legal situation.

They don't need to have people dedicated to torrent their own content to catch pirates. Torrent in itself is pretty much open to the public. Anyone with the torrent opened, download/uploading or not can see EVERYONE else's (downloading or uploading) ip address. They plant a fake seeder into the torrent in question and a simple script can then log every single ip address it sees, cross-reference it to see which ISP is responsible for issuing that IP Address and an automated email is sent to them without a single user on their end interacting with the actual torrenting. Obviously those companies frown upon p2p.

They send those to try and scare people into paying the "fine" to settle it or "risk" going to trial, which has yet to happen. They've been doing this for years and I believe the court has already established that an IP (especially since residential ISP services uses dynamic IP address) is not a valid way to identify an individual to committing the crime.

The worst thing that can happen is you can be named as a John Doe in a suit for people who have violated the copyright. They isp can't legally give the IP(intellectual property) holder who had the ip address at that time.

It's a scare tactic. Use a vpn.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

The worst thing that can happen is you can be named as a John Doe in a suit for people who have violated the copyright. They isp can't legally give the IP(intellectual property) holder who had the ip address at that time.

It's a scare tactic. Use a vpn.

Are they are good free vpn's? I dont really download any shows besides GOT rest i all buy on bluray and even game of thrones i do when there out. I stopped watching stuff as it airs. 

Dont view paying for vpn worth it if i use it once a week to download one file. 

Are they are good free vpn's? I dont really download any shows besides GOT rest i all buy on bluray and even game of thrones i do when there out. I stopped watching stuff as it airs.

Dont view paying for vpn worth it if i use it once a week to download one file.

No but you can get them for cheap

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer