Potential final parts for compact build around $1000

I am considering this build for a combination of work (document editing, some more intensive tasks like compiling and editing [especially compiling], browsing the internet, etc.) and gaming at high/max settings @1080p and later 1440p.  I need Wifi on the board, ONE stick of 8GB RAM (so I can go to 16 later as an upgrade once I save up more money), both an SSD and HDD, and a solid GPU that will serve me well for a while:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7P67Bm
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7P67Bm/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($252.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($121.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($73.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($124.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video Card  ($259.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit)  ($94.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1018.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

So there you go.  If you recommend a change, explain why the change makes sense.

EDIT: I will be buying new CPU cooling supplies later, probably with another stick of RAM.

I would get a prodigy m instead of the prodigy, as then you could fit an mATX board. That would let you have more ram expansion and also an addition graphics card slot. I would also get an 850 evo for your ssd and a WD red or seagate barracuda for the hard drive. 

I would change out the z97 mainboard for an h97 one to save some bucks.

You won't benefit from the Z97 board with a Xeon.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

I would change out the z97 mainboard for an h97 one to save some bucks.

You won't benefit from the Z97 board with a Xeon.

What is the difference between a Z97 and an H97 board?

I would get a prodigy m instead of the prodigy, as then you could fit an mATX board. That would let you have more ram expansion and also an addition graphics card slot. I would also get an 850 evo for your ssd and a WD red or seagate barracuda for the hard drive. 

I would, but I'm trying to save bucks here, and the Regular Prodigy is cheaper than the Prodigy M.

I am considering this build for a combination of work (document editing, some more intensive tasks like compiling and editing [especially compiling], browsing the internet, etc.) and gaming at high/max settings @1080p and later 1440p.  I need Wifi on the board, ONE stick of 8GB RAM (so I can go to 16 later as an upgrade once I save up more money), both an SSD and HDD, and a solid GPU that will serve me well for a while:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7P67Bm
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7P67Bm/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($252.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($121.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($73.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($124.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video Card  ($259.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit)  ($94.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1018.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

So there you go.  If you recommend a change, explain why the change makes sense.

EDIT: I will be buying new CPU cooling supplies later, probably with another stick of RAM.

Hey Chickenator,

A Z97 motherboard enables you to overclock the CPU and to add more than one GPU. for OCing you would need a custom CPU Cooler.
The build looks solid. 
Regarding the storage, WD Black is a performance drive with long warranty and great speeds. If you don't need that much performance I would suggest an alternative such as WD Green. It is designed for secondary storage, cool and quiet performance and saves energy. Here's a link with more info: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=QznQdB

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey Chickenator,

A Z97 motherboard enables you to overclock the CPU and to add more than one GPU. for OCing you would need a custom CPU Cooler.
The build looks solid. 
Regarding the storage, WD Black is a performance drive with long warranty and great speeds. If you don't need that much performance I would suggest an alternative such as WD Green. It is designed for secondary storage, cool and quiet performance and saves energy. Here's a link with more info: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=QznQdB

Captain_WD.

Thank you very much.  I appreciate your input on this, and will take a look at the various WD drives to figure out which one suits me best.

What is the difference between a Z97 and an H97 board?

The biggest selling point of Z97 is overclocking via multiplier.

Since your particular Xeon doesn't have an unlocked multiplier, it can only be slightly overclocked by increasing the BCLK, which you can also do with a H97 board.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

The biggest selling point of Z97 is overclocking via multiplier.

Since your particular Xeon doesn't have an unlocked multiplier, it can only be slightly overclocked by increasing the BCLK, which you can also do with a H97 board.

I see.  Which Xeon processors CAN overclock?

-snip-

Not quite sure why you keep putting in the that 290 with the reviews it's been getting as of late.