Case For Watercooling PC

Hello,

I am wanting to get my first custom PC and I am thinking of getting a system with a 5960x and 3 GTX Titan Xs and was just going to use a Corsair AIO Liquid Cooler such as the H105 for the CPU and use air cooling for the GPUs. But, after doing some research, it seems it may be a good idea to do a full custom loop for the GPUs and the CPU to increase overclocking headroom while keeping temps low. So, I was wondering how many/what size of radiators I should have and what case I should use? I saw that JayzTwoCents recently updated his Skunkworks build to have a 5960x along with 3 Titan Xs and I believe he used a Case Labs Magnum SMA8. I am also intrigued by the Thermaltake Core X9 Stackable Cube Case. I could stack 2 of those on top of one another and get a nice loop I think or should I just try replicate JayzTwoCents' build or use something completely different? Assume price is not an issue please. Thanks in advance!

Fractal Design Define S if you don't have more than 3 3.5'' drives and don't need 5.25'' bays.

Spoiler

@Aytex Which model of Enthoo? There are a few such as the Primo and the Pro.

@Virgule I do plan on having a Blu Ray Drive as well as a fan controller if needed so thanks for the suggestion though!

@SkywardKkalox I don't think that the Define R5 will work as I am going to use the Asus Rampage V Extreme which is EATX. What Case Labs cases do you recommend? Not really liking the 760T sorry. Again, Which model of Enthoo do you recommend?

@f5alcon Do you think just one of those cases would be sufficient or would you recommend stacking to have more rad space?

How many rads/what size rads would you recommend?

@Virgule I do plan on having a Blu Ray Drive as well as a fan controller if needed so thanks for the suggestion though!

There are fan controllers that don't need the 5.25'' form factor like this one that can be controlled with mobo's 4pin header : https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/8-way-pwm-splitter-sata-powered/

As for the blu-ray, well yeah, deal breaker I guess

Spoiler

There are fan controllers that don't need the 5.25'' form factor like this one that can be controlled with mobo's 4pin header : https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/8-way-pwm-splitter-sata-powered/

As for the blu-ray, well yeah, deal breaker I guess

Thanks for the suggestion though. Much appreciated! That PWM Fan Splitter is very, very intriguing. Seems like it would be good for a radiator setup because I don't think you would want your fans on the rad spinning at different speeds right? Plus, it is a lot cheaper than a traditional fan controller.

thermaltake core X9

Do you think just one of those cases would be sufficient or would you recommend stacking two to have more rad space?

Fractal Design Define S, Define R5,

A lot of CaseLabs cases, 760T White from corsair.

Phanteks enthoos.

I don't think that the Define R5 will work as I am going to use the Asus Rampage V Extreme which is EATX. What Case Labs cases do you recommend? Not really liking the 760T sorry. Again, Which model of Enthoo do you recommend?

@f5alcon Do you think just one of those cases would be sufficient or would you recommend stacking to have more rad space?

How many rads/what size rads would you recommend?

with some mods you can get 4X 480s in the case and pretty easy to get two 480s and a 360 in there, it depends on how much cooling you think you need. If you had two you could do pretty much anything you wanted. I ordered the new snow edition last week, but still waiting for it. 

with some mods you can get 4X 480s in the case and pretty easy to get two 480s and a 360 in there, it depends on how much cooling you think you need. If you had two you could do pretty much anything you wanted. I ordered the new snow edition last week, but still waiting for it. 

Snow Edition sounds sexy haha. I will have 3 Titan Xs and a 5960x with an Asus Rampage 5 Extreme Mobo. I will most likely be overclocking the CPU and GPUs so I am not sure what sufficient cooling would be. Do you think two 480s and 360 would be good for that? Also, what storage capacity does that leave me with? I think I will have 3 SSDs and 2 HDDs.

Snow Edition sounds sexy haha. I will have 3 Titan Xs and a 5960x with an Asus Rampage 5 Extreme Mobo. I will most likely be overclocking the CPU and GPUs so I am not sure what sufficient cooling would be. Do you think two 480s and 360 would be good for that? Also, what storage capacity does that leave me with? I think I will have 3 SSDs and 2 HDDs.

The general rule is 120 per major device, but the better way is to calculate TDP of the components that are watercooled and match that to radiator efficiency, my rough estimate is around 1000w. Based on this http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/11/radiator-round-2015/5/A 360 radiator can do between 350-500 TDP for a 10 degree rise in temps depending on fan configuration. So at least two 360s would be needed for your setup. Two 480s would probably be enough. Do you have any 5.25" devices? The front bays support a single 3.5" drive or two 2.5" drives, and the motherboard tray supports 1X3.5 or 2X2.25 so even if you remove the other hard drive racks you should be able to fit your drives in. 

With that type of budget a custom Case Labs box seems like a no-brainer.

The general rule is 120 per major device, but the better way is to calculate TDP of the components that are watercooled and match that to radiator efficiency, my rough estimate is around 1000w. Based on this http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/11/radiator-round-2015/5/A 360 radiator can do between 350-500 TDP for a 10 degree rise in temps depending on fan configuration. So at least two 360s would be needed for your setup. Two 480s would probably be enough. Do you have any 5.25" devices? The front bays support a single 3.5" drive or two 2.5" drives, and the motherboard tray supports 1X3.5 or 2X2.25 so even if you remove the other hard drive racks you should be able to fit your drives in. 

Thank you for your help. I gotta say, I am liking the idea of stacking 2 of them on top of each other. I would personally rather have extra real estate inside the case than barely have enough room to maneuver around in there. I will have a Blu Ray Drive and maybe a fan controller but I am not sure about that. Can you have too many radiators for your components? Where would you position them in a dual stacked case?

With that type of budget a custom Case Labs box seems like a no-brainer.

Thanks for your input. I am open to all suggestions. What case would you recommend from Case Labs?

Thank you for your help. I gotta say, I am liking the idea of stacking 2 of them on top of each other. I would personally rather have extra real estate inside the case than barely have enough room to maneuver around in there. I will have a Blu Ray Drive and maybe a fan controller but I am not sure about that. Can you have too many radiators for your components? Where would you position them in a dual stacked case?

The only way you would have too many is if it starts slowing the flow from the pump. 

Thanks for your input. I am open to all suggestions. What case would you recommend from Case Labs?

Whichever one has all the features you need.

Corsair 900D, Caselabs STH10 or SMA8. There is a guy selling the STH10 on the classifieds page. May want to check it out.

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

Albert Einstein 14 December 1930

The only way you would have too many is if it starts slowing the flow from the pump. 

So, I am thinking if I could stack two of them together and put a 480mm rad for each GPU and CPU, so that would mean 4 x 480mm rads and I would still be able to put the HDD cages somewhere in the case and have some 5.25" bays available as well. How many pumps and reservoirs would I need for that? I am thinking of getting the Cougar Vortex 120mm PWM fans for the rads as they have 2.2 static pressure and are PWM. Also, do the rads need to have a push/pull config or just one or the other? What are your thoughts?

So, I am thinking if I could stack two of them together and put a 480mm rad for each GPU and CPU, so that would mean 4 x 480mm rads and I would still be able to put the HDD cages somewhere in the case and have some 5.25" bays available as well. How many pumps and reservoirs would I need for that? I am thinking of getting the Cougar Vortex 120mm PWM fans for the rads as they have 2.2 static pressure and are PWM. Also, do the rads need to have a push/pull config or just one or the other? What are your thoughts?

I wouldn't just buy fans on what they say their static pressure is, look at actual reviews and maybe listen to videos of how they sound and see if you can tolerate the noise. 4X480s is a ton of cooling, could probably make two loops and do less if you wanted, 360 for CPU and a couple 480s for GPU. Jayztwocents only has a 560 for triple titan Xs and a 480 for his 5960X.

If single loop, singles res, if dual loop dual res. res is mainly for easy filling and draining more res does not improve cooling performance. 

I wouldn't just buy fans on what they say their static pressure is, look at actual reviews and maybe listen to videos of how they sound and see if you can tolerate the noise. 4X480s is a ton of cooling, could probably make two loops and do less if you wanted, 360 for CPU and a couple 480s for GPU. Jayztwocents only has a 560 for triple titan Xs and a 480 for his 5960X.

If single loop, singles res, if dual loop dual res. res is mainly for easy filling and draining more res does not improve cooling performance.

Thanks for the suggestions. If I did do a 4x480 setup, would I need to do a single loop or a dual loop? How many pumps/reservoirs would I need for 4x480 setup? Is distilled water a good coolant? I have read that it is the best/cheapest you can get. Sorry if any questions are stupid. I am completely new to liquid cooling and want to get all th info I can.

Thanks for the suggestions. If I did do a 4x480 setup, would I need to do a single loop or a dual loop? How many pumps/reservoirs would I need for 4x480 setup? Is distilled water a good coolant? I have read that it is the best/cheapest you can get. Sorry if any questions are stupid. I am completely new to liquid cooling and want to get all th info I can.

There are a lot of people more knowledgeable than me, I am doing my first loop in a few weeks, but I have done all the research.

Distilled water is a good coolant, most other coolants are just distilled water with a biocide and corrosion inhibitor and maybe a dye.

With as much cooling as you are doing single vs dual loop is not going to have a performance impact. 

Single loop is easier to fill and bleed because it is done once and cooling is over all of the rads. 

Dual loop is easier to drain because the CPU and GPU are separate loops and changing something on one doesn't require work on both. 

For the X9 this is where the most knowledgeable people about what the case can do are. 

http://www.overclock.net/t/1538271/thermaltake-core-x-case-owners-club-x1-x2-x9-x9-snow-ed/0_100