Need help deciding on a PSU after power outage

Altentio

Just got back from a 20 min break, room reeks of something burnt. Short circuit most likely. Only in my room, everywhere else electricity works. I turn on the electricity switch in my room and notice PC doesn't start up. I believe my PSU is broken, cause when I stick the black power cord in and out it makes crackling noise. Similar thing happened in the room with another mac (tho it was the extension cable that got burnt to a crisp)

How should I go about it? The monitors are lit but the peripherals' LEDs aren't. So I am assuming either mobo or PSU. I wanna know which one.

Oh btw... I took a 20 min break while I had witcher 3 running ( i died )... The game has made my pc freeze twice when i had nvidia gpu power settings on adaptive... But game was running for over half a day and only during that break I come back and notice the power is out.

Pc specs:

Asrock Z77 extreme4 mobo

i5-3570k@3800Mhz

Gigabyte G1 GTX970 stock clocks

2x8gb ddr3 ram

1tb hdd wd black

120gb ssd samsung evo 840

2x120mm fans (gonna get 2 more)

Bitfenix shinobi case (front has 2 usb 3.0 slots)

ATX650w PSU 80 bronze certified .

Im mostly looking for a reliable psu and maybe some security measure against that sorta stuff. I've read somewhere about UPS dno what that is, if its good in my situation tho, would be glad to know of a good one for the price.

Just bought a UPS today after my PSU blew up a month ago. I recommend to get a UPS that can output more watts than your power supply to make sure there is no unnecessary strain.

EDIT: a UPS can help with electrical surges and power outages and let you turn off your PC safety.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD R7 5800X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO | Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO | Memory: G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 3200mhz 64GB | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra | PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w | OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | Games Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Media Drive: 2x WD Blue HDD 1TB in Raid 0 | Media Drive: 2x WD Black HDD 2TB in Raid 1 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q UHD | Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q WQHD

Says around 333W minimum, so a 450W is recommended, right ? Is be quiet! a reputable brand, what you think?

Says around 333W minimum, so a 450W is recommended, right ? Is be quiet! a reputable brand, what you think?

yes, be quiet is a good brand.

Thank you guys, after consulting a friend of mine, seems i have burned out my psu after using it on low loads for 2 years. 8hrs before the issue i changed setting for gpu to prefer max power and was running a demanding game witcher 3 that whole time. Seems that it was drawing out more power than the PSU is used to handle and it overheated, meaning burnt plastic smell in my room. And since fuse limit is set to 650w, it wouldn't turn off the PSU as a protection measure, meaning a nice juicy grilled piece of hardware for the main course... I'm no expert on this matter, if you guys have anything to correct me on in this statement, please do so. I don't want to end up repeating the same mistake in the future.

Thank you guys, after consulting a friend of mine, seems i have burned out my psu after using it on low loads for 2 years. 8hrs before the issue i changed setting for gpu to prefer max power and was running a demanding game witcher 3 that whole time. Seems that it was drawing out more power than the PSU is used to handle and it overheated, meaning burnt plastic smell in my room. And since fuse limit is set to 650w, it wouldn't turn off the PSU as a protection measure, meaning a nice juicy grilled piece of hardware for the main course... I'm no expert on this matter, if you guys have anything to correct me on in this statement, please do so. I don't want to end up repeating the same mistake in the future.

If your PSU has to have "ATX" denoted in the model number to show that it's ATX compatible, it's not a PSU designed for running today's high-end components. Definitely get a better quality unit. A good quality 550W or higher will be perfect. Take a look at the 550/650W EVGA GS or XFX XTR.

"Rawr XD"

Ty, after reading more about psus on my own i came to a conclusion, that i was very wrong in my knowledge of how a psu works. I went with Corsair CS 550W Gold+ . I'm sure its the right choice, thank you guys for ur help and feedback, it helped me a ton in making the right decision.