First PC build

Hi guys, I'm new to all of this and I'd like some help.

I want to build a computer, mostly for work but gaming as well.
This is what I was I thinking of:

Case: Fractal Design R4 window (black or grey)

Processor: AMD FX-8350 (I'm thinking of getting the AMD instead of the I5 from intel because it is $38 cheaper than the 3570k here in Belgium and $53 cheaper than the 4670k)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (Other than the fact that it looks like a good board, I like this one because it is black and will probably go well with the black and white R4)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB white (Again because of the aesthetic)

Graphics card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC (This one is about $65 cheaper than the HD 7950 from Asus, this is definitely the hardest part of this whole build to choose)

PSU: OCZ ZT650W-EU (I kinda want a fully modular PSU because I'm thinking of maybe getting white cables later that should go well with the case)

SSD: Samsung 840 120GB

HDD: WD Green SATA600 1TB

I don't really know what cooler I should get but I do plan on overclocking.

I also need a monitor and I'm thinking of getting the Dell U2312HM.
My PC also has to be able to pick up a Wifi signal, not a strong one, it will probably be around 20 Mb/s down most of the time.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

Do you have a specific budget in mind for this build? I generally find that Intel have been better on the price / performance front than AMD as well as running cooler and more efficiently, so the i5 could be worth that little bit extra, especially the K series if you are planning to overclock.

As for cooling, how do you want to go about it (liquid / air / closed loop)? With my current build I am using a Noctua NH-D14 on an overclocked i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz and my temperatures are very good (idles at around 24 Celsius and leads at around 55 Celsius, winter temperatures are as low as 8 Celsius idle) and it is also rather quiet, being a Noctua product, so I could personally recommend that cooler if you were happy on air. http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=34&lng=en

As for WiFi, which is how my main rig connects as it is not near my router, I use a TP-LINK card which works excellently http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WN951N

Hope this has helped a little bit.

Regards

// i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz // Noctua NH-D14 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz (2x 8GB ) // 2x Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD RAID-0 Boot // Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm Steam / Data Drive // Gigabyte Z77X-D3H // Corsair TX850 // ASUS DirectCU II GTX 670 4GB OC // CoolerMaster HAF X nVidia // QPAD MK-80 // Logitech G700 // Windows 8 Professional x64 //

Thanks a lot, I was thinking about spending about €900 excluding the monitor this is almost $1200 although I think prices are often a little higher here.

If I choose to go for the i5, I suppose I should get the 3570k and not the Haswell right?
Aircooling will suffise for me.

No problem.

Well if you want to spend as little as possible then the i5 3570k would be a better bet as it is cheaper, and there are a wide range of motherboard choices out there for the LGA 1155 platform as it has been around much longer than the 1150 Haswell socket. Also, the performance gain from Ivy Bridge to Haswell isn't that much (speaking of the CPU alone), and as you aren't throwing bags of cash at every component, some features of the Haswell platform won't be utilised to their full potential.

For 900 euro you should have no problem getting yourself a decent i5 Ivy Bridge system. Gigabyte make reliable Z77 motherboards that aren't too expensive, as with Asus.

Your other components are all good and case is a personal preference so stick to those and you'll be good to go. 

The Noctua NH-D14 is arguably the best air cooler on the market and is near silent, so as a work machine that'll be a bonus + It's great for a modest overclock, so will fit your requirements nicely.

Regards

// i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz // Noctua NH-D14 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz (2x 8GB ) // 2x Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD RAID-0 Boot // Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm Steam / Data Drive // Gigabyte Z77X-D3H // Corsair TX850 // ASUS DirectCU II GTX 670 4GB OC // CoolerMaster HAF X nVidia // QPAD MK-80 // Logitech G700 // Windows 8 Professional x64 //

It would  be better to get a blower fan for a foamed up case like  that, the temps of everything will increase a lot in the R4 due to its padding. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

It would  be better to get a blower fan for a foamed up case like  that, the temps of everything will increase a lot in the R4 due to its padding. 

Open air still cools better.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Open air still cools better.

+1 To that.

Would upgrade from a green to blue, they say green drives are NOT WD quality at all...

Would upgrade from a green to blue, they say green drives are NOT WD quality at all...

They're not terrible drives, if power efficient storage is all it's for. I wouldn't use one as a primary / boot drive though. Had a few in the past, and although they proved reliable, they were slow as hell. Really, really slow. Shouldn't be too much of a problem if the OP is using an SSD to boot from as stated.

They're not terrible drives, if power efficient storage is all it's for. I wouldn't use one as a primary / boot drive though. Had a few in the past, and although they proved reliable, they were slow as hell. Really, really slow. Shouldn't be too much of a problem if the OP is using an SSD to boot from as stated.

Considering the ssd is only 120GB, I'm assuming the games would go on the hdd. The games would load slow off of a Green.

I say switch out for a caviar blue or seagate barracuda as well.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I might get a GTX 670 direct CU II Top because it's on sale and like 10 dollars more than the 760.
Also I found a Thermalright Silver Arrow on sale, not the hideous one but the black and white one so I'm probably going to get that.
Thanks for the help.