Scared To Turn On PC! Need Help

Shaan5

I have been having an issue where Windows will start glitching out randomly and then I'll go to shut down the PC, but even though the monitor stops displaying stuff, the PC stays on and I am forced to turn off the PSU or Unplug, The PC runs fine between these glitches though, but they happen pretty frequently. Recently, I tried to restart the PC but it just stayed on the restart screen and Eventually BSOD, It booted me back to Windows and then I shut down the PC and haven't touched it since. I have a ton of errors and Warnings i my Event log, Notably "Kernel-Power" which is a critical error. All I know is that it is not A Virus, Overclock or networking issue. That means that it could be anything from Drivers from faulty memory to a bad PSU. I was planning on Running MemTest86 But I'm kind of scared to even turn on the PC now

I Need Some Serious Help?

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

MB: ASUS Z97-A I SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB I HDD: WD Black 1TB

Yeah go ahead and run HDD / memory tests. Is anything overheating (90C+)? Do you have a discrete graphics card? If so, try removing it. If it is hardware related, unless you have replacement parts sitting around to test with, the graphics card is about the only other thing you can diagnose. 

A full re-installation of windows would probably be a good next step as well.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Those glitches sound like graphics card issues. The BSOD can be caused by the graphics driver crapping out.

Kernel power generally just means you pulled the power on the system.  I recommend using BlueScreenView to analyze any core dump files that you may have.  It may provide more insight on what's causing the errors.

EDIT: Here's a link to it. http://nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

Ok, My CPU temps max at like 40 Degrees and the GPU Maxes at around 65 so the temps aren't the issue, Would running memtest86 Be a good test for the Memory, How would I test the HDD

Specs

i5 4690K(Stock)

G1 GTX 970(Stock)

ASUS Z97-A

G, SKill Ripjaws X

EVGA 750B2 PSU

Crucial MX100(Boot drive)

WD BLACK

Noctua Nh-D15 Cooler

How could I test if its an error with the GPU, The issues just started recently.

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

-snip-

Pretty much any HDD testing program will do what you need, but HDDscan is free and easy. For graphics card testing, make sure you're on the latest graphics driver (just use geforce experience to check) and see if that resolves anything. Otherwise, physically remove the graphics card and run it like that for a while. If the problem is graphics-related, then that should help.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Pretty much any HDD testing program will do what you need, but HDDscan is free and easy. For graphics card testing, make sure you're on the latest graphics driver (just use geforce experience to check) and see if that resolves anything. Otherwise, physically remove the graphics card and run it like that for a while. If the problem is graphics-related, then that should help.

I'm kinda scared to even use the PC though because what usually happens is I boot into Windows, After a few hours, Windows starts bugging out and then I am forced to shut down the PC, But that doesn't really wok either so at that point, I have to unplug the PC and restart the process, I don't want to have to constantly be turning off the PSU Mid operation because I don't want to damage anything

I'm kinda scared to even use the PC though because what usually happens is I boot into Windows, After a few hours, Windows starts bugging out and then I am forced to shut down the PC, But that doesn't really wok either so at that point, I have to unplug the PC and restart the process, I don't want to have to constantly be turning off the PSU Mid operation because I don't want to damage anything

as long as it doesn't crash during a update you should be fine, you'll never find out what it is if you don't turn it on.

as long as it doesn't crash during a update you should be fine, you'll never find out what it is if you don't turn it on.

Wait, what do you mean Crash during an update.

is there any chance that these Crashes or BSOD's or Turning off the PSU Mid operation could hurt or damage my Components

Wait, what do you mean Crash during an update.

is there any chance that these Crashes or BSOD's or Turning off the PSU Mid operation could hurt or damage my Components

talking about a Windows update. I don't think it turning off is going to kill it outright. If you never turn it back on its just as dead as if something is broken.

talking about a Windows update. I don't think it turning off is going to kill it outright. If you never turn it back on its just as dead as if something is broken.

So its not dangerous to turn off the PSU Mid Operation?

I'm making a list of things to check so I'll start using it in a Minute

I'll be sure to never turn it off during a Windows Update

So its not dangerous to turn off the PSU Mid Operation?

I'm making a list of things to check so I'll start using it in a Minute

I'll be sure to never turn it off during a Windows Update

as far as i know it pretty rare to damage components by turning off power. I would turn it on test it and keep a eye on everything.

as far as i know it pretty rare to damage components by turning off power. I would turn it on test ot and keep a eye on everything.

Ok, I'm going to start with Getting the Latest GPU Drivers and then check Memory and HDD

Ok, I'm going to start with Getting the Latest GPU Drivers and then check Memory and HDD

check motherboard bios version too, slim chance thats it. 1 ram slot, dont use gpu. Just try to narrow down what it could be. As suggested above.

check motherboard bios version too, slim chance thats it. 1 ram slot, dont use gpu. Just try to narrow down what it could be. As suggested above.

How do I check what BIOS Version I have

If updating the GPU driver doesn't work and whether or not I get issues in memtest then I'll probably end up taking out a RAM Stick and The Video Card

How do I check what BIOS Version I have

If updating the GPU driver doesn't work and whether or not I get issues in memtest then I'll probably end up taking out a RAM Stick and The Video Card

asus might have a utility for it, i have only ever updated bios once and just recently too. i used software that came with my motherboard\, i didn't do it the old fashion way through bios. hit us back up with the testing results, hdd, ram, gpu, and temps for everything. as rustikles and Crion said.

asus might have a utility for it, i have only ever updated bios once and just recently too. i used software that came with my motherboard\, i didn't do it the old fashion way through bios. hit us back up with the testing results, hdd, ram, gpu, and temps for everything. as rustikles and Crion said.

Is it possible that it is my PSU, it's a tier 2a by Superflower

My 12v, 5v and 3.3v readings are

12: 12.192

5: 5.200

3.3: 3.392

People that I've asked have said that these are pretty good. I got the latest GPU Drivers although my BIOS is out of dat but I don't want to Flash it unless it's absolutely necessary. I'll do everything else Tomorrow

Is it possible that it is my PSU, it's a tier 2a by Superflower

My 12v, 5v and 3.3v readings are

12: 12.192

5: 5.200

3.3: 3.392

People that I've asked have said that these are pretty good. I got the latest GPU Drivers although my BIOS is out of dat but I don't want to Flash it unless it's absolutely necessary. I'll do everything else Tomorrow

psu looks good. Ok tag everyone that helped so they know whats up.

as far as i know it pretty rare to damage components by turning off power. I would turn it on test it and keep a eye on everything.

It's not "Healthy" for systems to have power cut to them.  If an SSD is installed, they can suffer damage from power loss, as well as some HDD's.  But, you're right, it's rare for something to happen.

*I hate it when I'm at school and the power goes out*  Makes me cringe because we have hundreds of computers.

Main Rig: 

i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz w/ H75 Liquid CPU Cooler - Asus Maximus VII Hero - 16GB G.Skill Triedent X 2133MHz RAM - 2x Gtx 660s in SLI - 120GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD NZXT Hue - K70 RGB Keyboard - Corsair Sabre RGB - Windows 8.1 - 2x Asus VN247H-P 1080p Monitors (I'm a sucker for lighting effects)

Server: 

FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz w/ stock cooler - 8GB Crucial 1600MHz RAM - AMD Radeon HD 7450 GPU - 300W PSU - 120GB SSD - Windows 7

Grab a hyper 212

uhh. 

Okay, what?

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!