Think this PSU will be ok?

DeScruff
Go to solution Solved by Aniallation,

I have a feeling this might be on the edge, but you guys tell me, and what would you recommend.

This EVGA 500W psu, http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100w10500kr

with a R9 280 (non X) and a 4690K - Which will probably get overclocked.

It will technically be enough, but spend a bit more money for at least the 500B. I don't understand why so many people pair this PSU with an i5+280 build, it's quite unbalanced when the PSU is the most important part of a PC.

Thats plenty of PSU.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

will be fine, But I regreted my 500 watt gpu purchase, do you ever plan on crossfiring down the road? 20$ now could save you 50+ down the road

will be fine, But I regreted my 500 watt gpu purchase, do you ever plan on crossfiring down the road? 20$ now could save you 50+ down the road

Well this isn't my PC, this is one for a friend. Hes not that technical and just getting into PC gaming so I don't think he will be Crossfiring.

I have a feeling hes not gonna upgrade the thing for 5 years. Then when the 280 can't handle games anymore he will just buy the best card you can get for ~$250, or whatever.

Well this isn't my PC, this is one for a friend. Hes not that technical and just getting into PC gaming so I don't think he will be Crossfiring.

I have a feeling hes not gonna upgrade the thing for 5 years. Then when the 280 can't handle games anymore he will just buy the best card you can get for ~$250, or whatever.

in that case, it will be more then fine! just wanted to throw that out to keep in mind

I have a feeling this might be on the edge, but you guys tell me, and what would you recommend.

This EVGA 500W psu, http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100w10500kr

with a R9 280 (non X) and a 4690K - Which will probably get overclocked.

It will technically be enough, but spend a bit more money for at least the 500B. I don't understand why so many people pair this PSU with an i5+280 build, it's quite unbalanced when the PSU is the most important part of a PC.

"Rawr XD"

I think it might be partially because the average person doesn't fully understand what goes into making a good quality PSU. Its the part of the computer people don't normally ever take apart, so it becomes what a whole computer normally is to the tech illiterate. "The black box you put electricity into, and magic comes out".

Also unless you have an understanding of electrical engineering, reviews showing the Oscilloscope's readings and talking about them are basically like technobabble so they just skip to the end of the review to read "Yeah its ok" or "Avoid like the plague!" from somebody who has more expertise.

Thats my theory.

I'll admit I am kinda one of those people... I'll try to understand, but its still easy for me to get lost...

Oh and it seems like my friend messed up his order and got a 500B. I guess that is a good thing!

It's mediocre in build quality and not ideal for a gaming computer. If you can spend another $20 or so you can get something decent.

Well!
My friend has heeded all your words and has decided to quickly cancel his order, and go to an EVGA 550W GS due to the reviews on PCper, and JonnyGuru - of the 650W version.
(It also helps thats it's modular since the PC is gonna be in a MicroATX case without much room for unused cables.)
Thank you everybody!

Good deal. That PSU is excellent, can't go wrong with it.