New build any suggestions.

Go to solution Solved by I Like Cake,

Alright. Thanks for all your help. Ill just keep an eye on deals and pick parts up over the next few weeks depending on whats on offer.

Hi,

I was wondering what people thought of this custom PC build I'm planning. I'm new to this so any help would be appreciated. Keep in mind when you're making suggestions my max budget is £1800.00 but i'd prefer closer to £1600.00. Just don't suggest i spend an extra £200 for a difference of 5fps.

It will mainly be for gaming but i'm studying programming at uni and intend to use the skills to make video games in the future which will involve some level of graphics design (Photoshop, 3D modeling, etc...).

Are there any obvious bottlenecks i should be aware of?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/WDnPD3

Thanks in advance for any help

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  (£304.72 @ More Computers) 

CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£93.86 @ Ebuyer) 

Motherboard: Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (£192.33 @ Amazon UK) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£188.59 @ Scan.co.uk) 

Storage: Crucial M550 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£113.50 @ Amazon UK) 

Storage: Seagate  1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  (£59.72 @ CCL Computers) 

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (£444.58 @ More Computers) 

Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  (£119.98 @ Amazon UK) 

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£99.98 @ Amazon UK) 

Total: £1617.26

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-18 21:06 BST+0100

less for the same performance actually.

The only difference between the 5820k and the 5930k are the PCI lanes.

Is money not really an issue? The system is a lot more expensive than it needs to be. 

Why such a large case and psu? Are you planning a custom loop with sli?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What made you pick the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory? (My point referencing the clock speed)

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Formula | GPU: EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified | SSD: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB | Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX

Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX     RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1866MHz | HDD: 2TB Western Digital | PSU: Corsair AX850i

Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB | OS: Windows 8.1  

I'm considering getting a second GPU in the future as a potential upgrade. The other poor part choices is just my lack of experience.

I'm considering getting a second GPU in the future as a potential upgrade. The other poor part choices is just my lack of experience.

don't go for a x99 build, is this just for 1080p?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

What made you pick the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory? (My point referencing the clock speed)

I looked at what memory was compatible with my board and processor and then choose the one with the best reviews. The same memory but with a clock speed of 2800 was available but it was only £10.00 cheaper.

It could be much cheaper: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/zCqCcf

I'd skip the whole sli thing and instead go for a better single card in the future unless you're set on that idea.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

don't go for a x99 build, is this just for 1080p?

I want it to do more than 1080p preferably but i also want a decent fps. i went for x99 because it's compatible with ddr4 which should give me more choices for upgrades in the future as ddr4 becomes more popular.

It could be much cheaper: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/zCqCcf

I'd skip the whole sli thing and instead go for a better single card in the future unless you're set on that idea.

Are you really telling me i can get the same performance for £1000 less?!

I just want this pc to last me for a while. I've built a pc before when i was 14 for IT at my secondary school and it was useless after about 2 years.

I want it to do more than 1080p preferably but i also want a decent fps. i went for x99 because it's compatible with ddr4 which should give me more choices for upgrades in the future as ddr4 becomes more popular.

yeah but http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/QXdyBm is just as good, much quiet, much cheaper, the noctua industrial fans to replace the ugly browns on the cooler. DDR3 will still be popular for awhile. New CPUS (skylake) are coming,out for,DDR3 so,don't be thinking DDR4 CPUS are coming out anytime soon after them. This will do 1440p and you could SLI the 980s and be below 1800 still

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

I just want this pc to last me for a while. I've built a pc before when i was 14 for IT at my secondary school and it was useless after about 2 years.

It's not the same performance but it's not far off and should be more than enough for what you're doing.

some cases yes but if you want more then 1080p go for a 980

Case:

I would take a good look into whether you actually need a full size tower. There is a massive array of mid size tower which would be more suitable for this build. You will need to decide whether you want a airflow optimized case or one more aimed for silence. However if you did go for a mid size tower you may find the H110 CPU cooler is to large so look at the H100i GTX or something similar to that.

Mid Tower Case:

NZXT H440 (quiet case, still has a window)

Corsair 450D

NZXT Noctis 450 (optimized for airflow)

Fractal Design Define S

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Formula | GPU: EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified | SSD: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB | Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX

Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX     RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1866MHz | HDD: 2TB Western Digital | PSU: Corsair AX850i

Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB | OS: Windows 8.1  

Alright. Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll think about it and redesign it a few times with your suggestions and then ask again.

Alright. Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll think about it and redesign it a few times with your suggestions and then ask again.

Alright get back to us, try not to go for x99 because for example the one I showed you will perform just as good as that x99 build and has a bigger SSD. Go for Samsung Evo Pros. Ect ect. Have fun

I'm trying to choose a motherboard but there are so many out there which makes it difficult to choose. Why did you suggest those particular boards in your builds?

Are there certain brands i should steer clear from?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I get the impression the ATX form factor is appropriate for the type of machine I'm trying to build and as far as i can tell the Z97 chipset is currently the best option.

edit

nvm, I spent some more time googling and comparing different motherboards and the msi board suggested by DarkBlade2117 seemed like the best option.

I'm trying to choose a motherboard but there are so many out there which makes it difficult to choose. Why did you suggest those particular boards in your builds?

Are there certain brands i should steer clear from?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I get the impression the ATX form factor is appropriate for the type of machine I'm trying to build and as far as i can tell the Z97 chipset is currently the best option.

If you don't need any special features aside from oc'ing, just about any z97 board should do.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to.

Alright get back to us, try not to go for x99 because for example the one I showed you will perform just as good as that x99 build and has a bigger SSD. Go for Samsung Evo Pros. Ect ect. Have fun

If you don't need any special features aside from oc'ing, just about any z97 board should do.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to.

Case:

I would take a good look into whether you actually need a full size tower. There is a massive array of mid size tower which would be more suitable for this build. You will need to decide whether you want a airflow optimized case or one more aimed for silence. However if you did go for a mid size tower you may find the H110 CPU cooler is to large so look at the H100i GTX or something similar to that.

Mid Tower Case:

NZXT H440 (quiet case, still has a window)

Corsair 450D

NZXT Noctis 450 (optimized for airflow)

Fractal Design Define S

How's this?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£259.00 @ Amazon UK)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£94.52 @ CCL Computers)

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£109.16 @ Scan.co.uk)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  (£119.47 @ Amazon UK) 

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£129.99 @ Aria PC)

Storage: Western Digital Se 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£65.80 @ CCL Computers)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  (£453.58 @ Scan.co.uk)

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£79.91 @ Ebuyer)

Power Supply: BitFenix Fury 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£81.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)

Total: £1373.54

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-19 00:20 BST+0100

It's late in England so I'm going to bed so i won't respond to any suggestions for a few hours.

Thanks for any help in advance

How's this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

It's late in England so I'm going to bed so i won't respond to any suggestions for a few hours.
Thanks for any help in advance

The 980 isn't really a good value but if money isn't really an issue, recommended edits: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/8gk2Lk

The 980 isn't really a good value but if money isn't really an issue, recommended edits: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/8gk2Lk

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/4K4xmGSorry it's a windowd case I had to get a different Mobo xD. Very nice mobo plus why that random OCZ SSD? That EVGA will perform a bit better then the G1 but the G1 will be a little cooler and a little quiet. The EVGA isn't much louder though buy it may be a little hotter if thats an issue for him, I got a 650W PSU for future SLI ( IF he Wants if he is not doing SLi he can simply go back to a 550W ) So yeah I just color matched ect.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/4K4xmGSorry it's a windowd case I had to get a different Mobo xD. Very nice mobo plus why that random OCZ SSD? That EVGA will perform a bit better then the G1 but the G1 will be a little cooler and a little quiet. The EVGA isn't much louder though buy it may be a little hotter if thats an issue for him, I got a 650W PSU for future SLI ( IF he Wants if he is not doing SLi he can simply go back to a 550W ) So yeah I just color matched ect.

You both suggest this be quiet! PURE ROCK 87.0 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler but it only gets 3 stars and will it do the job if i wanted to overclock my cpu in the future?

You also suggest Kingston Fury White Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory but the clock speed is about 300 lower and i was under the impression high clock speeds are important for gaming. I know its about £40 more expensive but as my build is now £400 less than i originally expecting i can afford to splash out a little. I guess I'm saying if the build's you've come up with is a good base system where should i put the rest of my cash to get the biggest increase in performance unless you're telling me it simply won't make much of a difference.

You both suggest this be quiet! PURE ROCK 87.0 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler but it only gets 3 stars and will it do the job if i wanted to overclock my cpu in the future?

You also suggest Kingston Fury White Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory but the clock speed is about 300 lower and i was under the impression high clock speeds are important for gaming. I know its about £40 more expensive but as my build is now £400 less than i originally expecting i can afford to splash out a little. I guess I'm saying if the build's you've come up with is a good base system where should i put the rest of my cash to get the biggest increase in performance unless you're telling me it simply won't make much of a difference.

Linus has a video on the TechQuickie youtube about clock speeds for ram. It will NOT make a difference you can see. From the TechQuickie video 1866mhz and 1600mhznis your best bang for the buck with the highest quality for games. Actually that high of a clock speed you chose as you can see from the video will lower your gaming performance. Also don't go purely off reviews. Yes so,e are good and you should listen. The PURE ROCK is a great cooler. Linus has used it before and enjoyed it, he may have a review of it I do not know.

Also since you are so low under budget. Just keep the money. The only real thing I'd say to upgrade is get an i7-4790k if you wanna do streaming and or youtube. You can get all new peripheals, maybe a new desk like the IKEA GALANT series or a new chair. You could get a brand new 27inch momitor if you feel like it Ect ect.. You wanna feel good while,playing games don't you? Plus with being so low under budget you can find a nice monitor if you don't already have one or nice keyboards like I said to match the theme. LEDS, posters stuff to spice of your setup the money doesn't always have to be put towards the computer itself.

Alright. Thanks for all your help. Ill just keep an eye on deals and pick parts up over the next few weeks depending on whats on offer.