Question about 1080p 60hz monitors

Cayder

My question is if you PC can put out more than 60 FPS but your using a monitor that only has 60hz refrefesh rate will your PC only stick with 60hz? Like a program that shows the FPS on the top left will it never go up from 60? Or will it show higher FPS but the monitor will only show 60?

It doesn't matter if your pc can show more fps, if your monitor can't handle it. You will only be able to see 60 frames per second on 60hz.

It doesn't matter if your pc can show more fps, if your monitor can't handle it. You will only be able to see 60 frames per second on 60hz.

^ This

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

So I would want a 1080p monitor with a higher refresh rate?

Yes. AOC, Acer, LG, and Asus all have 144Hz 1080p monitors.

Yes. A 144hz monitor will ALWAYS be a better experience in games than any 60hz monitor you can buy.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

^ This

I can get about 80 FPS on Shadow Of Mordor with it set to medium/low but since i only have a 60HZ monitor i will see it at 60Hz only. if i had a 144Hz monitor though then id see it at the 80FPS or so. Youre limited by whatever is the smallest number.

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

A 60hz monitor won't show more than 60fps no matter how much your game is outputting. You can overclock it to 75hz pretty easily though

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Yes. AOC, Acer, LG, and Asus all have 144Hz 1080p monitors.

if i may offer a 60Hz monitor that looks beautiful and still has beautiful colors that isnt super expensive?

The ASUS MX279H

yeah i know its only 60Hz but i prefer a more beautiful game and ill sacrifice some FPS to get it, so normally on AAA games on a GTX 980 i tend to top out at the 45FPS sweet spot.

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

I seen there was some monitors with 120hz would that be a little better than 60hz? (Other than the obvious answer of yes bc it's a higher number) is there that much of a improvement?

I seen there was some monitors with 120hz would that be a little better than 60hz? (Other than the obvious answer of yes bc it's a higher number) is there that much of a improvement?

The difference between 60hz and 100+hz monitors are night and day. Once you get used to the fast refresh rate, 60hz is a choppy pile of garbage.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

if i may offer a 60Hz monitor that looks beautiful and still has beautiful colors that isnt super expensive?

The ASUS MX279H

yeah i know its only 60Hz but i prefer a more beautiful game and ill sacrifice some FPS to get it, so normally on AAA games on a GTX 980 i tend to top out at the 45FPS sweet spot.

Why the hell do you get only 45FPS? I max everything out above 60 with my 780. I do like cinematic gameplay but I am going for an ROG Swift and another GTX 780 soon.

The difference between 60hz and 100+hz monitors are night and day. Once you get used to the fast refresh rate, 60hz is a choppy pile of garbage.

What he said.

More refresh in the image per second which makes it smoother. It is also more healthy, because your eye gets tired slower. ;)

Why the hell do you get only 45FPS? I max everything out above 60 with my 780. I do like cinematic gameplay but I am going for an ROG Swift and another GTX 780 soon.

im fairly certain its my motherboard. MY ASUS mobo doesnt have PCIe3, im running it on PCIe2 16x

but people have told me thats not the case. 

I think its GTAV that gives me 45 FPS cause i have pretty much every setting at MAX :P

Project Hephaestus

im fairly certain its my motherboard. MY ASUS mobo doesnt have PCIe3, im running it on PCIe2 16x

but people have told me thats not the case. 

I think its GTAV that gives me 45 FPS cause i have pretty much every setting at MAX :P

ya know what, now im confused, imma run some benchmarks brb

Project Hephaestus

^

i just ran the ingame benchmarks for Shadow of Mordor and GTAV:

GTA5: running ingame benchmark, tops at 50FPS at first scene
Second scene bounces from 35 to 50FPS

SoM:Benchmark run on Ultra GFX settings, Max FPS @79, minimum at 50, average 60

Project Hephaestus

Thanks guys for all the information!

Actually i run 2 monitors. the ASUS MX279H for all my games and movies and whatnot and a decent Dell i think its the E176FP as a second screen for monitoring downloads, taking notes, being able to have a walkthrough ready to go while i play a game and not have to keep switching tabs back and forth is amazing. I can learn and play at the same time lol

Project Hephaestus

i just ran the ingame benchmarks for Shadow of Mordor and GTAV:

GTA5: running ingame benchmark, tops at 50FPS at first scene
Second scene bounces from 35 to 50FPS

SoM:Benchmark run on Ultra GFX settings, Max FPS @79, minimum at 50, average 60

SoM:

Max: 123

Average:57

Minimum: 15

Seems pretty fair. My motherboard is acting up and the BIOS is screwed up and the fans are off and everything so that may affect the results. GTA V is more demanding and I do have a marginally better CPU so I guess that both of our cards are working fine  :D

SoM:

Max: 123

Average:57

Minimum: 15

Seems pretty fair. My motherboard is acting up and the BIOS is screwed up and the fans are off and everything so that may affect the results. GTA V is more demanding and I do have a marginally better CPU so I guess that both of our cards are working fine  :D

yeah considering im used to Console gaming on my 40" Sceptre tv [a FINE TV btw if anyones in the market, theyre like AOC, small enough to be a good value but not necessarily big enough for all the bells and whistles]

so when i booted up GTAV PC on my new 27" monitor i almost cried it was so beautiful lols

Project Hephaestus