Upgrade my PC for BF4

TOTAL SYSTEM FOR AVERAGE COMPUTERS FX8 IS NOT AVERAGE IT CONSUMES A DECENT AMOUNT OF POWER APPARENTLY ENOUGH TO PULL 750W 

AVERAGE =/= ALWAYS

But this isn't thread about his system. It's about the OP's system. What he claimed is that his system with a low-end i5 would consume at least very close to a 600 watt PSU's limit, which is apparently untrue according to a Guru3D review. A system with an i7-3960X overclocked to 4.6 GHz and a 290x only consumed 401 watts when the graphics card was under full load. The system would be at least 550 watts if both were under 100% load, but that's not going to happen all the time, and it's kind of to be expected for a freaking 6-core CPU at 4.6 GHz, not a stock-clocked Intel 4-core.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

But this isn't thread about his system. It's about the OP's system. What he claimed is that his system with a low-end i5 would consume at least very close to a 600 watt PSU's limit, which is apparently untrue according to a Guru3D review. A system with an i7-3960X overclocked to 4.6 GHz and a 290x only consumed 401 watts when the graphics card was under full load. The system would be at least 550 watts if both were under 100% load, but that's not going to happen all the time, and it's kind of to be expected for a freaking 6-core CPU at 4.6 GHz, not a stock-clocked Intel 4-core.

its always a good idea to leave headroom

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Well, you certainly seem like an immature brat. Let's try to redeem that, shall we?

First, here's a question: What's the power limit on your graphics card? The MSi Lightning series is specifically meant for extreme overclocking. The GTX 780 Lightning @Lays had could pull a max of 902 watts by itself. That could play a significant role in why your system consumes more than most that have R9 290x's.

Second, please observe the wattage of the system used to test the R9 290x in that Guru3D article and the specifications of the system itself. The system pulled 401 watts when the graphics card was under full load, and it has an i7-3960X overclocked to 4.6 GHz. Now, the wattage would obviously be higher when both components are stressed to their max, but I can't image it would add more than 150 watts extra, which is still well below what your system consumes. What might cause that discrepancy, hmm?

Third, would it be too much to ask for you to add a picture of the wattage meter used to test how much power your system uses? You can make all the claims you want, but unless you back them up, they're worthless. 

Fourth and finally, why do you think most people are able to run R9 290x's with 600 watt PSUs? I have certainly seen others on LTT who have such systems that run fine, without crashes or power consumption that is even close to the limits of their PSUs. Maybe you should consider that your situation is a special case and not in any way the norm? The guy that you just ignored was being perfectly reasonable and demonstrated how a system with an R9 290x is not going to consume such high amounts of power that you claim. Perhaps he was a little harsh, but I think it was a perfectly understandable thing to do, given how you have been acting to him.

I said in my posts that the system will consume 580 watts. Maybe less, it will work easily. I was suggesting for extra headroom.

Also, as soon as corsair link starts working on windows 10, I will get the pic. (It was done with occt tests on all components)

To your second point, THATS WHAT I HAVE SAID. System will consume 580 watts. Approx.

First the card Is on stock bios with STOCK settings overall.

Please read this post, I do realize I have been rude, I am really sorry.

I'm confused why was @Vendetta wrong again?

He is using just manufacturer watts, not looking at real world tests

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Yes, it can be, but if the OP has no prior interest in going for Crossfire or SLI, then there isn't much point. If I ever decided to do so, I'd just upgrade my PSU in the future, not when I first build my system if I'm unsure of whether I'd even want to do so. There are a lot of uncertainties involved in this, and it is up to the OP's discretion what is decided. If he wants to add another graphics card later, then great! We can recommend a PSU that will cover for that. If not, then we should recommend one that will provide ample power for him and not go overkill.

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Apparently people don't understand that...

Apparently a PSU runs at 100% efficiency always.

Apparently the op will not oc a k CPU...

eh 600w shitty psu was for OCed 4790k and stock 290x

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

A PSU's efficiency does not determine its total output power. If a PSU is rated for 600 watts and is 90% efficient, it won't output 540 watts to the PC. It will instead draw 660 watts in order to meet its required rating.

And I didn't realize the OP has an unlocked CPU. Maybe it's because he clearly stated that he has an i5-4440. If he wants to go for an unlocked one in the future, he should plan accordingly.

Gosh, now I know how Victorious and Kloaked feel...

eh 600w shitty psu was for OCed 4790k and stock 290x

Yeah, I did say approx 580 would be a good watt estimate. Maybe oits less. But it is DEFINITELY not less than 490

A PSU's efficiency does not determine its total output power. If a PSU is rated for 600 watts and is 90% efficient, it won't output 540 watts to the PC. It will instead draw 660 watts in order to meet its required rating.

And I didn't realize the OP has an unlocked CPU. Maybe it's because he clearly stated that he has an i5-4440. If he wants to go for an unlocked one in the future, he should plan accordingly.

Gosh, now I know how Victorious and Kloaked feel...

Shit, I need some sleep... Lol thanks for correcting me...

Did you read my post before?

And what's that about victorious and kloaked?

Yeah, I did say approx 580 would be a good watt estimate. Maybe oits less. But it is DEFINITELY not less than 490

idk that sounds right

320w for 290x + 170w for cpu give 60w headroom and you have 550w

but thats 490 cpu and gpu ONLY no ram or storage or cooling

I said in my posts that the system will consume 580 watts. Maybe less, it will work easily. I was suggesting for extra headroom.

Also, as soon as corsair link starts working on windows 10, I will get the pic. (It was done with occt tests on all components)

To your second point, THATS WHAT I HAVE SAID. System will consume 580 watts. Approx.

First the card Is on stock bios with STOCK settings overall.

Please read this post, I do realize I have been rude, I am really sorry. He is using just manufacturer watts, not looking at real world tests

Wait, what? The OP's system will most certainly NOT consume 580 watts. That would be cutting it far too close anyway for a 600 watt PSU. Assuming Guru3D is right, OP's system will use around 480 watts with his current CPU. 

The system that will use more is Guru3D's test system. You know, the one that's not the locked, 4-core Intel CPU.

And, for the record, manufacturers don't undershoot wattages. They overshoot in order to prevent lawsuits from people who pair crap PSUs with their cards. Why do you think R9 290s and 290xs have recommended wattages of 750 or more if most people can run them on 600? 

Shit, I need some sleep... Lol thanks for correcting me...

Did you read my post before?

And what's that about victorious and kloaked?

Oh, it's nothing. They just seem to say the same things over and over and can never get through some stupid people's thick skulls.

Wait, what? The OP's system will most certainly NOT consume 580 watts. That would be cutting it far too close anyway for a 600 watt PSU. Assuming Guru3D is right, OP's system will use around 480 watts with his current CPU. 

The system that will use more is Guru3D's test system. You know, the one that's not the locked, 4-core Intel CPU.

And, for the record, manufacturers don't undershoot wattages. They overshoot in order to prevent lawsuits from people who pair crap PSUs with their cards. Why do you think R9 290s and 290xs have recommended wattages of 750 or more if most people can run them on 600?

Hmm, OK I think vendetta needs to understand that 480 does not equal less than 400...

Oh, it's nothing. They just seem to say the same things over and over and can never get through some stupid people's thick skulls.

Ouch. Was that supposed to be me?

Sorry man, exam stress, can't focus on one thing or nother

Ouch. Was that supposed to be me?

Sorry man, exam stress, can't focus on one thing or nother

Yeah, I'm sorry too. I'm a little stressed too; I'm about to graduate high school.

Oh, and when did @Vendetta say that a system with an R9 290x would use less than 400 watts? I must've missed that, and there's no way that can be right...

750w psu for a system that will hardly even pull 400w from the wall..............................................?

Yeah, I'm sorry too. I'm a little stressed too; I'm about to graduate high school.

Oh, and when did @Vendetta say that a system with an R9 290x would use less than 400 watts? I must've missed that, and there's no way that can be right...

Yea I was definitely exaggerating how low the wattage was in first post I'll gladly admit that (which I then corrected myself in future posts saying it will use a little over 440w which I didn't include fans and his extra drives and shit to add up to). You on the other hand were grossly over estimating how much power his system with a 290x would use, and still had the nerve to call me stubborn even when I showed you Guru3d's breakdown of a 290x wattage. The number I came up to after adding the TDP of everything I think it came to like 483w. I have no hard feelings against you, I've been in the same position you're in before, what is important though is knowing when to admit you're wrong on a subject. I'll admit I was harsh as other have said but you did start it with the "Don't talk about stuff u are clueless about" comment :P

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Budget (before or after rebates)?Currency? Are you playing at 1080p, if so what graphic settings are you looking to play at?

I want to play at medium settings, my budget is around 6,000 Mexican Pesos

I want to play at medium settings, my budget is around 6,000 Mexican Pesos

Do you have any websites you plan to order the parts from?

OK I would recommend this -

750 watt PSU

R9 290x

Why 290x? Because the Battlefields are made by ea, and ea and AMD are each others Favorites.

You will generally get better frames

R9 290X is more expensive than the R7 260X, maybe the 290X will be good for Ultra settings, my mistake for not specifing the settings I want to play, Im fine with Medium Settings, 1080 @ 60 FPS

FUENTE CORSAIR CX500 80 PLUS BRONZE $970.02  

+

GIGABYTE GTX 960 GV-N 960IXOC 2GB DDR5 $3,350.00

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total : $ 4320.02

While the CX 500 isn't the best PSU, it's miles ahead of what you currently have and should work well enough. The GPU is mITX form factor and should fit in your case without a problem. Confirm this before buying.

FUENTE CORSAIR CX500 80 PLUS BRONZE $970.02  

+

GIGABYTE GTX 960 GV-N 960IXOC 2GB DDR5 $3,350.00

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total : $ 4320.02

While the CX 500 isn't the best PSU, it's miles ahead of what you currently have and should work well enough. The GPU is mITX form factor and should fit in your case without a problem. Confirm this before buying.

Sounds good, I will give it a try