Is HBAO+/PhysX/Hair Works/Tress FX worth going below 60FPS?

kenjigreat

I'm asking because I really never see the point to them, but clearly a number of people are true believers in these effects.

For looks yes, game play, no.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I take TressFX/Hairworks over turd looking default hair like in Tomb Raider. i didn't notice much different with HBAO+ compare to HBAO/HDAO. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

nope

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I'm asking because I really never see the point to them, but clearly a number of people are true believers in these effects.

HBAO+  -  Na, I'd turn this off

Hair Effects  -  Depends, I'd probably take the performance it.

PhysX  -  APEX Destruction = no, I'd turn it off

APEX Clothing      = I'd take the hit on performance. I like this a lot (I like playing with it on my models)

HBAO+  -  Na, I'd turn this off

Hair Effects  -  Depends, I'd probably take the performance it.

PhysX  -  APEX Destruction = no, I'd turn it off

APEX Clothing      = I'd take the hit on performance. I like this a lot (I like playing with it on my models)

Whats up with the Hair fetish , I'm legitimately curious.

The only HOLY Hair that blew me away comes from the Witcher 3 Trailer

The 3:05 Mark.

Whats up with the Hair fetish , I'm legitimately curious.

The only HOLY Hair that blew me away comes from the Witcher 3 Trailer

//Removed the link

The 3:05 Mark.

I've been playing with it a lot lol. Also Witcher 3 is the game that jumps to my mind when HairWorks gets mentioned, I didn't really care for the Tomb Raider TressFX.

TressFX is a very poor implementation of hair effects. Why can't companies do what Spicy horse did with Alice Madness? That looks fantastic, with no real performance repercussions. 

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

How much of a hit are you taking? what GPU do you have? I have everything cranked up to 11 on my 2x 780tis, and don't see much of a performance hit.

No, 60 fps is what you want if you can reach it.

Off topic kind of: Does anyone know what kind of performance differences there will be if I used a GTX 680 as a dedicated PhysX card with my GTX 980?

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

How much of a hit are you taking? what GPU do you have? I have everything cranked up to 11 on my 2x 780tis, and don't see much of a performance hit.

Its a hypothetical cause I run the same GPUs lol

Sometimes no, but sometimes yes. If the hair is just too fugly to look at without it, it needs it. :P

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

You mean for screenshotting then going back to gameplay LOL.

No i mean in a game like witcher or any game really, you would want to see the game in the best quality available to you and just for that purpose under 60fps would be okay but once you are gaming, especially in a online lobby, you would want all the FPS possible.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I thoroughly enjoyed using tressfx in tomb raider despite the fact that it made the frame rate dip to low 20s at certain points

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

No not worth it, taking Lara Croft as an example, battered and bruised but perfect hair in the wind? And we are told she's British? With perfect hair? Pfft.. So unrealistic.

Maybe when those -nod nod wink wink- adult type games come with the oculus rift it might be worthwhile ;)

Depends. I would go a little bit under 60 FPS for physx in a batman game. But typically no I wouldn't. 

Its a hypothetical cause I run the same GPUs lol

What games? What res? and What FPS are you striving for. I could give you pretty good answers.

What games? What res? and What FPS are you striving for. I could give you pretty good answers.

I meant the idea of dropping below 60 fps was hypothetical. This thread kinda relies on the assumption that running these effects would cause that FPS loss which, in my cause, doesn't.

I meant the idea of dropping below 60 fps was hypothetical. This thread kinda relies on the assumption that running these effects would cause that FPS loss which, in my cause, doesn't.

Well it depends on what you value wouldn't you agree? Do you want a high frame rate where you have a super smooth experience or are you looking for a decent experience with fantastic visuals on top of a already beautiful game. 

It does cause a frame loss , its only noticeable if you are dangerously close to 60FPS, if you are running at 80FPS with V-sync on and a 60Hz monitor then of course it makes no difference if you drop 5-10 frames.

Well it depends on what you value wouldn't you agree? Do you want a high frame rate where you have a super smooth experience or are you looking for a decent experience with fantastic visuals on top of a already beautiful game. 

I agree, but I'm limited to 60FPS until I buy a better monitor anyway so I don't see it as a trade off. (I'll get 60 with and without these effects but that is beside the point).

I think I may have missed the point that the OP was actually going under 60 (my bad...) and not a purely hypothetical situation. Truthfully, I'm a sucker for animation quality, so I'd probably go for solid 60 in titles with awesome animations. I pick my setting on a game to game basis so I pick what effects are on based on the game. If a game is all graphics or is story, I'll try get the highest quality visuals. In reaction or competitive games, FPS all the way.

It does cause a frame loss , its only noticeable if you are dangerously close to 60FPS, if you are running at 80FPS with V-sync on and a 60Hz monitor then of course it makes no difference if you drop 5-10 frames.

I missed that you were dropping below 60, my bad. It's personal preference, where I like the style and feel of the graphics, you might not care and prefer the FPS.