College Computing setup. Apple Overkill

steve5900

So For College I am thinking about 2 different options.

1. I really would like to have a Retina 5k I Mac for my dorm and then the new macbook for light classwork and notes. I want a Hefty iMac to do all of my multi-tasking computer workload. I would buy aftermarket Ram and probably put 32 Gigs in the iMac.

2. Option 2 Just buy an overkill macbook pro.

I would prefer option 1 but what do you guys think.

Both of these options wouldn't cost me anything as they would be graduation presents. Also i know that building my own pc would be a lot cheaper and better but I like the compactness of the inter-connectedness of owning all apple products. I already have an Iphone and a Ipad.

3. I was even considering buying a mac pro for serious power.

I was planning on lofting my bed and putting my desk under my bed and behind the desk lighting it with led strips and also have a Racing office chair.

What do you guys think is the best office chair????? I plan on majoring in computer science or Buisness marketing.

pls dont fall in to apples over priced tech pit

apple notebooks are generally not overpriced. (exceptions 'new Macbook' prove the rule)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

1. I really would like to have a Retina 5k I Mac for my dorm and then the new macbook for light classwork and notes. I want a Hefty iMac to do all of my multi-tasking computer workload. I would buy aftermarket Ram and probably put 32 Gigs in the iMac.

Both of these options wouldn't cost me anything as they would be graduation presents. Also i know that building my own pc would be a lot cheaper and better but I like the compactness of the inter-connectedness of owning all apple products. I already have an Iphone and a Ipad.

I was planning on lofting my bed and putting my desk under my bed and behind the desk lighting it with led strips and also have a Racing office chair.

What do you guys think is the best office chair????? I plan on majoring in computer science or Buisness marketing.

Your better off just buying a really good laptop.(Speaking from the experience of being a college student) The thing about it is that you can buy an external monitor for your dorm or apartment, and then you have a dual monitor setup with all the computing power you need. And then when your not working at home, you just disconnect and then you have the same amount of computing power to take with you. 

Does not having a second parenthesis around something bother anyone else as much as it does me? (Like if this statement was missing a second side)

and their watches lol

aren't really overpriced for what they are, nor are they notebooks.

IMHO they are just useless fashion statements like 99% of all 'smart' watches.

aren't really overpriced for what they are, nor are they notebooks.

IMHO they are just useless fashion statements like 99% of all 'smart' watches.

i saw a thread that it only costs 85$ to make a watch

I was planning on waiting for broadwell. And I want apple not due to all their marketing or because it looks cool. I looked it up once and something like 70% of college students own a mac. I thought about building a hackintosh but I want the sleek design of the imac. plus the main reason is I want all my devices to work together. I WILL NOT BUY AN APPLE WATCH!!!!!!! those are apple marketing at it's finest.

Remember to follow your threads :)

Like @erty176 said, just get a powerful laptop.  A laptop with 980m is still cheaper than any of those two options, and 980m is definitely not needed, you can just use 970m. Get a 970m laptop with a 4k monitor and it'll still be cheaper :)

I was planning on waiting for broadwell. And I want apple not due to all their marketing or because it looks cool. I looked it up once and something like 70% of college students own a mac. I thought about building a hackintosh but I want the sleek design of the imac. plus the main reason is I want all my devices to work together. I WILL NOT BUY AN APPLE WATCH!!!!!!! those are apple marketing at it's finest.

So what if 70% of them use it? 

You basically want it since it looks good and a lot of students use it...

Buy a mac

Im not solely buying it for it's computing power I'm buying so that all my devices will work together. I had an iPad and a galaxy for awhile and that was a b****

pls dont fall in to apples over priced tech pit

i'll have to disagree on that. at least with the prices in germany from what i've seen the macbook pro is just as expensive as any other ultrabook exept it has much better battery life than any windows ultrabook.

i saw a thread that it only costs 85$ to make a watch

*sigh*

guess what ... a GTX 970 most likely also cost way less than $100 to produce and they sell it for >$300

So what if 70% of them use it?

You basically want it since it looks good and a lot of students use it...

1. Yes apple products are very nice looking to the eye

2. Yes I do want it because most people have them in college.

Who would want a super ugly laptop to tote around all over campus (nobody except people that own gaming laptops which are too bulky for college but thats beside the point) If you own a laptop that most people have it's easier for other people to work with you and not have to fumble around trying to find out where the control panel is and other little stuff like that. I don't understand why anyone would want a laptop that would be in the minority in a university. and I'm speaking for a lot of people here when I say apple makes good laptops. that are also pleasing to look at.

The thread wasn't if I should buy an apple or windows laptop or pc it was what do you think the better of the options I presented are. please let's try to keep this on topic.

1. Yes apple products are very nice looking to the eye

2. Yes I do want it because most people have them in college.

Who would want a super ugly laptop to tote around all over campus (nobody except people that own gaming laptops which are too bulky for college but thats beside the point) If you own a laptop that most people have it's easier for other people to work with you and not have to fumble around trying to find out where the control panel is and other little stuff like that. I don't understand why anyone would want a laptop that would be in the minority in a university. and I'm speaking for a lot of people here when I say apple makes good laptops. that are also pleasing to look at.

The thread wasn't if I should buy an apple or windows laptop or pc it was what do you think the better of the options I presented are. please let's try to keep this on topic.

Heh, so you're a fanboy... You gave no concrete arguments why you want it, only it looks good and most students have them....

Eitherway, i suggest option 1.

Since you're so blinded by Apple's marketing, go with 1.

Use 5k iMac for all of the heavy stuff, multitasking, editing, homework or whatever you're doing. Sitting and doing that on a big screen is a lot different than doing it on a laptop (it's also a lot more powerful).

And you'll have a new MacBook 2015, which is pretty light and you won't have any problem taking it to your classes and using it. Plus, since you seem to care, you'll also have that "new Apple swag factor" going for you.

I would probably get a base macbook pro with 8 gb ram. Best laptop IMO. And I would build a custom pc for home usage. 

The 5k iMac is a pretty good value considering that it's impossible to do it yourself for even a bit more. However, I would build a hackintosh with a 4k or 1600p screen and maybe an mini itx build instead and get the retina mbp.

Dell XPS 13. Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro. ASUS ZenBook UX305. Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon. 

Don't waste your money because other people are wasting their money.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I say the highest spec macbook with an auxiliary screen or 2

You should be considerate if someone's buying something for you. Unless they're rich, I guess.

Dell XPS 13. Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro. ASUS ZenBook UX305. Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon. 

Don't waste your money because other people are wasting their money.

The macbook pro costs the same as these. There is one difference you get like 4 hours more battery life from the mbp. Also the build quality is amazing. The lenovo is the only one with similar build quality. 

You are not really saving money by going to windows ... just not getting the extra things you are paying for with the mbp.

On the other hand I would not get the imac retina. Build your own pc and get 2 4k ips monitor. You will get a lot more performance and screen real estate. 

The macbook pro costs the same as these. There is one difference you get like 4 hours more battery life from the mbp. Also the build quality is amazing. The lenovo is the only one with similar build quality. 

You are not really saving money by going to windows ... just not getting the extra things you are paying for with the mbp.

On the other hand I would not get the imac retina. Build your own pc and get 2 4k ips monitor. You will get a lot more performance and screen real estate.  Also the OP should ask him self if he really needs 32gb ram.