How Do I Tell How Good A GTX Card Is?

Darkflame362
Go to solution Solved by QueenDemetria,

GT - Budget, sometimes cut down from GTX cards.

GTX - Fully featured(for the most part), and performance oriented.

GT(X) "M" - Mobile, used in laptops, but not the same as their desktop counterparts(cut down, slower, lower power, lower heat).

GTX "ABC" - A is the generation. The larger the number he newer the card, essentially. There are some cards that are "rebadges" so they won't have the newest architecture, but for the most part it will be "new" as its a part of that "family".

B is the class of card. The higher the number the higher end of card. Generally you get more cores with higher cards, but you might see higher Mhz as well. This decideds the performance out of that cards generation.

C generally doesn't mean anything, since its usually a 0. In the past there have been "5" cards(GTX 675M for example), and generally it means that there is something different with this card from the rest of the line up(sometimes good, sometimes bad, it varies).

Between generations there are improvements made, so a GTX 660 and 960 will be different performance wise(and the 960 will have other improvements as well).

So, with like AMD cards, higher numbers are better, at least I think thats how it works. Anywax, people tell me that a gtx 660 and 960 are about the same. How are gtx cards named?

a 660 =/= a 960 at all

with nvidia a cards number + 90 equals the equivalent cards in the newer series

780=970

770=960

so 660=750

unless your planning a gtx 980 or a titan X im gonna tell you to go amd except with the 260x which I recommend a 750ti instead of

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

The 660 and 960 are two generations (essentially) apart, so no the 660 is not comparable with the 960.

Higher the model number doesn't always mean it's better.

What you do is look up benchmarks and compare them.

So, with like AMD cards, higher numbers are better, at least I think thats how it works. Anywax, people tell me that a gtx 660 and 960 are about the same. How are gtx cards named?

Not quite, the 960 is about the same as a 770, which I'd assume is about the same as a 670 or 680.

Compare benchmarks, not numbers.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

They aren't about the same. The naming works by newer cards getting higher numbers. Newer doesn't always mean better, but usually. You can tell by expanding knowledge with a ton of Google and YouTube and memorizing the performance of each card, you can't tell *really* how good a card is by it's number.

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

650 750 950 are the entry tier cards, oldest to newest respectively.

660 760 960 are the mid tier cards, oldest to newest respectively.

670 770 970 are the mid-high tier cards, oldest to newest respectively.

680 780 980 are the high tier cards, oldest to newest respectively.

If the card has TI after the number, ex. 660ti, then its like a separate tier to fill the price gap.  Better than the 660 but costs more, worse than the 670 but costs less.

You can roughly compare the performance from one generation earlier, and one tier higher.  So a 970 is roughly equivalent to a 780.  A 960 is roughly equivalent to a 770 which is roughly equivalent to a 680. 

Always check reviews and benchmarks to know for sure though.

GT - Budget, sometimes cut down from GTX cards.

GTX - Fully featured(for the most part), and performance oriented.

GT(X) "M" - Mobile, used in laptops, but not the same as their desktop counterparts(cut down, slower, lower power, lower heat).

GTX "ABC" - A is the generation. The larger the number he newer the card, essentially. There are some cards that are "rebadges" so they won't have the newest architecture, but for the most part it will be "new" as its a part of that "family".

B is the class of card. The higher the number the higher end of card. Generally you get more cores with higher cards, but you might see higher Mhz as well. This decideds the performance out of that cards generation.

C generally doesn't mean anything, since its usually a 0. In the past there have been "5" cards(GTX 675M for example), and generally it means that there is something different with this card from the rest of the line up(sometimes good, sometimes bad, it varies).

Between generations there are improvements made, so a GTX 660 and 960 will be different performance wise(and the 960 will have other improvements as well).

660 - 750ti   

670 - 760 

680 - 770 

690 - 980 (assuming no vram limitations on the 690)

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ