Upgrading Old Windows XP system with SSD

I have here a Dell Vostro 200 slim running Windows XP. I was looking to improve performance on this machine. Now I know the best solution would be to junk this system and buy something with Windows 7/8 or to install a linux operating system on here. However, the computer doesn't belong to me and the owner is looking to improve performance. I was looking to install some more RAM and an ssd onto the system, however I keep reading that ssds and windows xp do not go well together.

Note: I was looking to use an ssd by Crucial or Kingston.

In short, I was wondering what steps I would need to take in order replace the current hard drive with an ssd while avoiding all problems.   

Windows XP doesn't have support for TRIM.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

@Goldygamer23 points out. Even if you upgrade to SSD, the performance of the drive will diminish over time since it on Windows XP (No trim Support). Your SATA 1.5Gb/s will only use half the capacity available. So NO! upgrading to ssd does not provide any performance increase unless you change OS.

@Goldygamer23 points out. Even if you upgrade to SSD, the performance of the drive will diminish over time since it on Windows XP (No trim Support). Your SATA 1.5Gb/s will only use half the capacity available. So NO! upgrading to ssd does not provide any performance increase unless you change OS.

It would provide a performance increase - maybe not as much as on a W7 or above system, but it'd still be there. But no TRIM support is a big problem - he can run programs though that would take its place.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I thought that there were some programs that could bypass this issue, such as toolbox on intel ssds. 

I thought that there were some programs that could bypass this issue, such as toolbox on intel ssds.

You could, but during the use of running TRIM through those programs, the system will slow down drastically. Intel SSD Toolbox only works with Intel SSDs.

So, could I use an Intel SSD with toolbox in the computer and achieve good performance?  Are there other applications I could use for other brands of ssds?

samsung magician also has a trim alternative

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

Try it. If you don't see the boost as worth it, get rid, you can sell it on ebay.

Samsung Magician has an optimisation tool which would get around the problem of native support for trim. Disable defrag on it, you'll be golden.