Family Media/Networking PC for under $400

Go to solution Solved by Violeta,

Well, he ended up going with a combo between the original suggestion and the input from you guys:

This is the rough final combo:

CPU: intel i3 4130
Motherboard: Intel Desktop board DQ87PG
RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
SSD: 240Gb Kingston SSDnow V300 SATA3 
Case: Omega atx-8815bk/450w 12cm/bk
LG ch12ns30 blue-ray combo blk

He might have to get a different case and power unit, depending on what the store offers tho. And because the i3 is a bit cheaper than the Asrock motherboard + Netflix announced they're looking to enter the market in Bulgaria, an SSD option became a reasonable addition to the budget. The final price might be more around $400, haven't got the spreadsheet yet, but all in all it's a very reasonable system combo for the intended use. 
Thanks a lot for the input guys!

After 8 years of using and not maintaining whatsoever my old gaming pc, my father has decided he wants to get a new computer. 

The main usage it will get is light networking (work correspondence mainly, some web browsing), Spotify, Netflix and the occasional Blu-rays. So in all, very light, non-demanding stuff, but due to his total cluelessness towards technology, it should withstand some long term usage.

He got a couple of suggestions from the local PC store (in Bulgaria) for ready builds, but as I'm not entirely familiar with some of the parts ( I live in Finland and we don't have even half of them here), I thought I'd take your opinions:

Note: These are exact copy-paste from their email

Price: $500

Motherboard: Asrock b85m/1150

CPU: i5-4460/3-2g/6mb/box/lga1150
RAM 4g ddr31600 adata
HDD: 500g sg sata6g/7200/3y warr
Video card: Asus gt720-sl-2gd3-brk
Case: Omega atx-8815bk/no psu
LAN PSU Fortron he-500+/500w

Price: $300
Motherboard: Asrock b85m/1150
CPU: g3440 3-3ghz/3m/box/1150
RAM: 4g ddr3 1600 adata
HDD: 500g sg sata 6g/7200/3y warr

The preferred points for the build are:
any good performing on the budget Quad-core
4Gb RAM
250-500GB HDD
Blu-ray drive

Let me know what you guys think!

I think you should get him an SSD.

Cheapest 1150 motherboard and an i3 4130/G3258 would cut it?

Sig under construction.

I would say go the 300 one for what he wants i cannot see any point spending anymore than that.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I think the choice for 500GB HDD is good because the family will be using it for work too. Maybe the SSD can come in later when the family is feeling adventurous.

i7-6700K | MSI Z170A Gaming M5 | COOLER MASTER Hyper 212X | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 2600MHz 8GB (4GBx2 kit) | MSI GeForce GTX 970 | FSP Aurum S 600W

Wordpress

I would've liked an SSD as well, but due to the delay in how technology happens in Bulgaria, these are still unreasonably expensive and with limited availability, especially for the intended PC usage in this case.

Well, he ended up going with a combo between the original suggestion and the input from you guys:

This is the rough final combo:

CPU: intel i3 4130
Motherboard: Intel Desktop board DQ87PG
RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
SSD: 240Gb Kingston SSDnow V300 SATA3 

He might have to get a different case and power unit, depending on what the store offers tho. And because the i3 is a bit cheaper than the Asrock motherboard + Netflix announced they're looking to enter the market in Bulgaria, an SSD option became a reasonable addition to the budget. The final price might be more around $400, haven't got the spreadsheet yet, but all in all it's a very reasonable system combo for the intended use. 
Thanks a lot for the input guys!

Hope it will serve U guys well. Good luck.

i7-6700K | MSI Z170A Gaming M5 | COOLER MASTER Hyper 212X | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 2600MHz 8GB (4GBx2 kit) | MSI GeForce GTX 970 | FSP Aurum S 600W

Wordpress

Hope it will serve U guys well. Good luck.

Thanks! Biggest problem is backwards salespeople. My father already reported that they've stated how "SSD and blu-ray drive are useless" and how he should get some half-legit Asrock parts instead of intel ones. :D Oh the joy!

Also how it would cost him an extra 100 euros for legit Windows 8, but they won't give him the physical copy because "he won't need it" (translated as: We just want to cash in on that one copy as much as we can, so we'll keep selling it to stupid people.)