Sales Tax On Kickstarters

EChondo

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ChristianAllen/20130714/196237/Sales_Taxes_for_Kickstarters.php

Kickstarter and other like funding websites

The classification of the tax will depend on the "reward" given. For example, if the reward is classified as a retail sale (tangible personal property) it will be subject to retail sales tax if delivered to a customer in Washington State. You can look up the rate using our Tax Rate Lookup Tool.

When rewards are delivered to a buyer that is located outside of Washington, the sale is considered an interstate or foreign sale and is not subject to Washington sales tax. The sale is also deductible from the retailing B&O tax. Therefore an "interstate and foreign sale deduction" can be taken on both the retail sales tax line and retailing B&O line.

Well, it looks like some states want some revenue from Kickstarters now...

If you're in Washington, move for a couple months and start your Kickstarter, otherwise you could be subject to paying taxes on it, and I don't think we want to pay taxes on a million dollars or more...

Next thing you know the SWAT teams will be rolling up to lemonade stands and shaking little kids upside down for money.

Next thing you know the SWAT teams will be rolling up to lemonade stands and shaking little kids upside down for money.

Don't they do that already?

Its a donation ;)

So if they tax kickstarter then lets start taxing religious donations :rolleyes:

If gov really wants to tax something that will make an impact.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

But its donating and im pretty sure the Us does not tax charaties

Its a donation ;)

So if they tax kickstarter then lets start taxing religious donations :rolleyes:

If gov really wants to tax something that will make an impact.

You can argue that the Government shouldn't have control over who you can marry or not, but of course they are circumventing their way into churches and making that decision themselves. I can see in a couple years that they start taxing churches as well.

But its donating and im pretty sure the Us does not tax charities

Well Washington just did/is trying.

they already did that to the Amish

i remember it had to do with selling cheese and milk

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.