Is a mechanical keyboard really necessary?

JebKerman

I just can't quite justify dropping $150+ (AUD) on a mechanical keyboard, when there are membrane keyboard that tick all of my boxes for just 40.

I've typed on membrane all my life (this same hp keyboard that came with my first computer that I bought myself 10 years ago) and I don't find it painful, or fatiguing, and I like the lower profile keys that they tend use (we have an old one, with mechanical-like key-caps and i find it uncomfortable).

Are mechanical keyboards really 2-4 times better than a membrane alternative?

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Everything is subjective, heck im still on membrane - but hoping to switch to a K70 soon.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Not really.  they are nice, I like them more, now I can't type on junky keyboards without wanting to use my nice keyboard that is at home. Are they a necessity no, would you find it nicer to type on, probably. I still quite my old G510 gaming keyboard but at that price point I should have just bought a decent mech board. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

honestly, some membrane keyboards are just as good as the lower-end mechanical ones. tough when you pay for a mechanical keyboard you mainly pay for the typing experience.

a membrane keyboard is really 'mushy' to type on, as for mechanical ones they are really responsive and 'snappy' to type on.

it's what you prefer really. 

No. I always listened to people when they said mechanical keyboards are superior. Take it from someone who actually went out and spent $200 on a mechanical keyboard, they are the same shit. They feel better compared to all the cheap membrane keyboards I've used in the past, obviously, but it just isn't worth it. Invest in a new SSD or something.

Totally not worth it.

A cheap membrane keyboard will be good enough

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

No. Nothing is necessary. Recently my keyboard died and I am using one I bought for 5 euros and it's ok. Yes, it's garbage quality, but I still can do everything I used to do on my old keyboard. As long as you are happy with your current setup, don't waste money, all you are doing is proving that marketing departments done their job properly :)

I am sorry for my english.

If u own mitsumi classic keyboard, then no.

Otherwise... Well, u may feel the difference, it can affect some performance, but not much.

It's very subjective.

I have 2 tt poseidon for my both gaming and work pc's and 1 numpad-less quickfire to take somewhere, if needed.

its the last thing to invest in. but once you do....

if you buy a good quality keyboard it will be higher quality build wise and also material wise.

they last longer

they feel much superior and let you feel that you are actually pressing the key and not squeezing some membrane keyboard.

they look better and come with matching backlighting according to what you buy

they are more customizeable and obviously these are all objectively important or not important to every person but i dont regret my investment in the mechanical keyboard space WHATSOVER

its like premium ice cream

looks fancy

higher quality

and is a heck of alot more expensive 

Short answer no. Long answer mechanical keyboard will have faster response time and better keyrollover meaning you can press more keys at the same time the typing experience is better on mechanical keyboards but thats just about it for normal users so as to the conclusion only really competive gamers can benefit from mechanical for casual users it comes down to the preference

No, and not everyone enjoys them either.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I just can't quite justify dropping $150+ (AUD) on a mechanical keyboard, when there are membrane keyboard that tick all of my boxes for just 40.

I've typed on membrane all my life (this same hp keyboard that came with my first computer that I bought myself 10 years ago) and I don't find it painful, or fatiguing, and I like the lower profile keys that they tend use (we have an old one, with mechanical-like key-caps and i find it uncomfortable).

not necessary at all, but I find that especially when writing code I get less fatigued on a mechanical keyboard and make fewer typos, which is a godsend for programming.

part of the fatigue when typing is probably because I usually write code after rock climbing, when my forearms are very worn out.

Are they needed? no not at all some people even prefer membrane to mechanical keyboards but to other people a mechanical keyboard is a nice addition to their setup.

I do find it hilarious that people will spend $70+ on a mouse but bitch about $100 on a keyboard

I bought my Das Keyboard lightly used and saved a lot on it. It was around $80 USD. Mechanical keyboards are often so rugged that there isn't too much risk in buying used in my opinion. I love my mechanical keyboard and will never go back to a membrane one. I love it so much in fact, that I'm thinking about getting a second one :P

It's a keyboard.

You push buttons and letters come out.

I mean, you could get a touchpad keyboard and do the same thing (you just can't game on it).

It's the experience of having a good keyboard that makes the most difference.

Have any of you who are flaming about 'mechanical keyboards are worthless" ever even used the great granddaddy of mechanicals...an IBM Selectric II or selectric terminal?

I don't think so.

Try typing on one of those and then come back and say mecahnicals don't matter.

No mechanical device in existence has a better feel than the Selectrics had.

Not necessary - any game will still function with a non-mechanical keyboard.  Whether you will enjoy it as much is entirely subjective.

Mechanical keyboards do tend to last much longer (assuming no abuse.)  When you consider that part then the cost of one might not seem so onerous.

I've been asking myself the exact same question for a loooooong time. I finally decided to drop $200 (AUD) on a Ducky Shine 4 and honestly I think it's money well spent. It's definitely not a necessity but from the few days I've had this keyboard it just feels much nicer to type with (or maybe that's just me trying to convince myself I didn't waste $200) of course that's up-to preference though but for $200 what you get is fairly decent. A good quality keyboard, all dem pretty lights and whatever other extra crap most modern "gaming" mechanical keyboards have but mainly you get; a really good quality keyboard.

No, people blow their "advantages" way out of proportion. If you're looking for a new board you should look for one that has the features you want or need first, being mechanical isn't even a tertiary concern.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

It isn't but typing long term feels much better. The multi key rollover thing is also kinda nice since I have large hands and fat finger things sometimes. But If you don't want to spend the money don't. However If you are looking into getting a mechanical keyboard go to your local Best buy, they usually have several different ones with different key caps out to test. Make sure you like the feel before you buy or you might regret your purchase.

GPU - 2x GTX 970 g1 gaming (sli) CPU - I5 4690k 4.6Ghz Cooler - Kraken x61 PSU - Corsair ax760 RAM - 32gb Corsair vengeance pro 2400mhz Storage - 730 Series SSD 240gb Case - Phantek enthoo pro

As said, of course it's not necessary :)

But then again, they are nice to have. Furthermore, AUD$150+ is completely unnecessary also. There's always sales and whatnot, plus auctions on eBay where you can always get a good price. I just recently bought a brand new Mech KB as a gift on eBay (Australia) for $70 delivered, and it has LEDs! 

Just don't ever pay full price :)

Go to your nearby computer store, buy the best mechanical keyboard they might have (like das 4 or ducky etc...) Use it for a month.... If you still think its not worth the price; return it.

CASE CLOSED

I think it's a situation of where you don't feel the need for them if you've never used them, but once you use them you can't go back. Sort of like a nice ergonomic gaming mouse--you just can't use normal cheap crappy mice. Same thing with higher resolution displays and IPS screens. People say once you go to those it's impossible to go back.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))