Why VRAM will never stack in SLI - regardless of DX12

Okay, but what if the access to the memory was done through a proprietary connector, I'm thinking of a wider, much faster SLI bridge acting as the the memory bus.

I'm thinking of Mountain Dew branded GPUs.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Those jokes are old as well.

Yep. The Nvidia memory joke is relatively new. So I don't even.... Just ignore it something.

Because look at it this way, people are socializing and then somebody makes a mainstream albeit overused joke and suddenly somebody is like 'don't even start' and is serious about it.

That makes me think there is something going on.

Okay, but what if the access to the memory was done through a proprietary connector, I'm thinking of a wider, much faster SLI bridge acting as the the memory bus.

I'm thinking of Mountain Dew branded GPUs.

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I've seen plenty of people that like AMD GPUs. I've seen plenty of people reccomend AMD GPUs instead of Nvidia ones.

However, nvidia does have some pretty nice shit and quite recent, with low power draw, and AMDs big thing right now is "Hey, throw money at us while you wait for us to finally release a new product" (in reference to the (possibly) new FX chips, zen, and 300 series GPUs)

It isn't so much about the Nvidia vs amd thing.

I thought he was a fanboy or something that couldn't take a joke about his company.

But it seems he isn't one.

Also you're also being an ass for making me out to be an ass because I see something unusual and point it out in a rough way. :P

Yep. The Nvidia memory joke is relatively new. So I don't even.... Just ignore it something.

Because look at it this way, people are socializing and then somebody makes a mainstream albeit overused joke and suddenly somebody is like 'don't even start' and is serious about it.

I believe a large part of that is due to the lack of an ability to use inflections and tones. If I were to say to you "I'll fuck your mother" IRL, I could make it sound very much like a joke. If I say I'll fuck your mother on here, then you're already on eBay looking for cheap chastity belts.

Point: large amount of it is due to only being able to communicate through text.

Spoiler

I've been complaining about the 3.5GB VRAM thing for a while.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I believe a large part of that is due to the lack of an ability to use inflections and tones. If I were to say to you "I'll fuck your mother" IRL, I could make it sound very much like a joke. If I say I'll fuck your mother on here, then you're already on eBay looking for cheap chastity belts.

Point: large amount of it is due to only being able to communicate through text.

That is also true...

I thought he was a fanboy or something that couldn't take a joke about his company.

Also you're also being an ass for making me out to be an ass because I see something unusual and point it out in a rough way. :P

I did that because rough on here usually translates straight to flamewars.

Spoiler

I've been complaining about the 3.5GB VRAM thing for a while.

Yeah okay, you don't even have to complain about it, it's not what I am saying. But just thought you were something else.

But okay that's settled.

I am not a fanboy of any company. NVIDIA deserves criticism for what they did to its customers with the 970. I also happen to have an AMD APU running my server.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I am not a fanboy of any company. NVIDIA deserves criticism for what they did to its customers with the 970. I also happen to have an AMD APU running my server.

Yes but really it isn't about what you use for me. Really doesn't matter to me.

Simply thought you were an overzealous fanboy and that's it. I just used AMD heat jokes argument as a comparison to 'lure' you out should you really be one.

Yes but really it isn't what you use for me. Really doesn't matter to me.

Simply thought you were an overzealous fanboy and that's it. I just used AMD heat jokes argument as a comparison to 'lure' you out should you really be one.

Such tactics much amaze

Spoiler

Such tactics much amaze

Hey it works and it isn't a dirty tactic so.... Fair game.

Hey it works and it isn't a dirty tactic so.... Fair game.

I just wanted to make a doge reference.

Spoiler

I just wanted to make a doge reference.

I know :P

vram does not stack or combine together. It does not work like that =/

I know :P

<3

Spoiler

So, pcie speeds are doubling each gen.

That means we need pcie 7.0 for 240gb/s

But at the time we have 7.0 gpus all have hbm technology which (now) is 5x faster than ddr5.

That makes memory run at over 1gb/s so we need pcie 9.0 or 10.0

Gg ez. #fml

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Me and my friend were talking about this last week we saw this coming because we thought how is GDDR5 to be able to though a pci slot at any reasonable speed at 16x let alone 8x we then determined that we should talk to the chief AMD GPU developer turns out our physics teacher was a good friend of his in university and sujest that they should develop GPU's that have 6 inch wide bridges that have hundreds of pins to enable vram stacking. We already gave up hope on his dual 970s or my dual 290Xs ever getting 8gb. I always viewed DX12 vram stacking with the attitude of I will believe it when I see it.

Take a look at the RAM on a graphics card, see how many individual pins there are? these are not just for show... each pin can only carry so much data, combining all of these pins into some kind of enormous parallel cable is just technically VERY difficult to do, for the same reason that we moved form ParallelATA ribbon cables to SerialATA cables for harddrives, went from 48-pins to 7-pins and got better speeds... 

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2574104/data-center/serial-vs--parallel-storage.html

The above difficulties apply when trying to design a proprietary connector. Nvidia has something in the pipeline to alleviate this, being NVlink, but its not likley to reach consumer land for some time

----

To all the 3.5gb clowns, imagine all "8" Gbs of your SLI'ed 4gb cards being even more gimped than that last 512mb of RAM on the 970... thats how sharing RAM over PCIe is going to go for you.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

I'm not sure if the OP is serious or not but regardless I will go on.

If all the current data that goes to a single card is fast enough, but is only connected through PCIE, where is this extra bandwidth coming from?

Each card has it's own PCIE bandwidth, thus having two independent cards should not cause any issue. As far as I am aware, the idea of the way DX12 works is each independent card can be accessed and sent individual instructions without communication with another card, just the CPU. DX12 pools available hardware and manages which parts of the screen are rendered by each card.

Also, to my knowledge, the 224GB/s or so that is the "maximum memory bandwidth" is bandwidth between the Graphics Processing Core and the memory. I could be wrong, but there is no bus that can load data into the memory for a single card at > 50GB/s.

TL;DR: Why would PCIE bandwidth be a massive issue for Multi GPU setups and not single cards? Data is loaded into a single GPU's memory through PCIE as well.

A hard drive is already a bottleneck to me, and all I do is limited multitasking around windows and booting (already into OS, waiting for programs and services to load)

I meant specifically bottlenecks in games with texture loading and offloading, which for now aren't an issue.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If all the current data that goes to a single card is fast enough, but is only connected through PCIE, where is this extra bandwidth coming from?

Each card has it's own PCIE bandwidth, thus having two independent cards should not cause any issue. As far as I am aware, the idea of the way DX12 works is each independent card can be accessed and sent individual instructions without communication with another card, just the CPU. DX12 pools available hardware and manages which parts of the screen are rendered by each card.

Also, to my knowledge, the 224GB/s or so that is the "maximum memory bandwidth" is bandwidth between the Graphics Processing Core and the memory. I could be wrong, but there is no bus that can load data into the memory for a single card at > 50GB/s.

TL;DR: Why would PCIE bandwidth be a massive issue for Multi GPU setups and not single cards? Data is loaded into a single GPU's memory through PCIE as well.

You're right, that's exactly where the OP's supposition falls.  The 224gb/s bandwidth is exclusively between the gpu and vram, the data still streams through pcie while loading a scene, which means it won't limit rendering times (if a game is coded properly of course).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Same here with my 970s, 7GB 8GB for me! :D

7gb and 1gb snail mem

Z77A-G43 LGA 1155, Intel I5 3450s, Radeon R9 290 (non-X), Cooler Master V750 Gold (750W) PSU, 2x4GB Ripjaws X 1866 MHz, 1x4 Crucial 1866 MHz, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, Thor V2 Full-tower Case, Acer 1920x1080 Monitor

You can't render different parts of a scene on different cards without each card having the full resources of the scene, or communicating with the other card, sure for some workloads you could but shaders don't work like that... HDR, bloom, motion blur, for example all require the entire frames data to render, Im not a programmer but as far as I know it cannot be done until the completing card has the entire frame ready.

Regardless of if the CPU is issuing instructions to each GPU individually, the only way to reduce the VRAM usage is to load resources into each card asymmetrically. If one cards workload suddenly requires the resources it has not yet loaded then it will be bottlenecked by the exact same thing that currently bottlenecks a card when it runs out of VRAM

You're right, that's exactly where the OP's supposition falls.  The 224gb/s bandwidth is exclusively between the gpu and vram, the data still streams through pcie while loading a scene, which means it won't limit rendering times (if a game is coded properly of course).

You are both imagining that the initial data is the same as the working data.

Based on your ideas you may as well not have VRAM on a card, just have it all accessed over PCIE, that will work well...

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.