Computer Restarts Randomly...

I Am Jarvis

Basically my brothers computer restarts its self randomly when ever it feels like it, during games and when surfing the internet...

Sometimes the screen and sound will turn off and he will have to manually restart the computer to get it working again....other times the screen will go black and the sound will go off but it will restart itself...

i cant think of where to start first with this problem. any ideas?

CoolerMaster HAF 932 -- A10-5800k -- ASrock FM2A55M-DGS -- Corsair H80i -- Sapphire Radeon HD7850 -- OCZ ZT 750W

Bad GPU? 

This is a really hard thing to troubleshoot without specs, current situation of the computer (high temps, recent overclocking, new drivers, new software, etc), and the like.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

oh sorry, forgot to mention the specs and other things!

MOBO = ASRock FM2A55M-DGS

CPU = AMD A10-5800k

GPU = Sapphire Radeon 6670 (crossfired with APU)

RAM = 4Gb Team Elite

OS = Windows 7 64x

Theres not really been anything change with this computer for a little while now, its been running perfectly fine. it recently only started when my brother swapped his monitor for a 22" HDTV, but this might just be coincidence.

On the software side there hasnt been anything new really, the same old stuff stays on there like steam and what not, but thats never done anything to his system before.

CoolerMaster HAF 932 -- A10-5800k -- ASrock FM2A55M-DGS -- Corsair H80i -- Sapphire Radeon HD7850 -- OCZ ZT 750W

Have you done Virus scans and the like? 

What about HDD tests? CPU/RAM tests? Etc etc.

Test everything. With that info, it's still just as ambiguous as to what could cause this.

What PSU does it have?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Temperatures?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Have you done Virus scans and the like? 

What about HDD tests? CPU/RAM tests? Etc etc.

Test everything. With that info, it's still just as ambiguous as to what could cause this.

What PSU does it have?

ill run some virus scans on it to see if his gone and got himself one. its my brothers computer and i dont know what he does on it half the time.

ive just download MEMTEST so ill use that on it ina bit.

how do i go about a HDD test??

its and old PSU that came with a packard Bell system, its 430W, but would it be worth trying a spare corsair 430W i have????

Temperatures?

whats the best way about testing the temperatures of everything dude?

whats the best way about testing the temperatures of everything dude?

HW Monitor will give you information for just about everything. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

HW Monitor will give you information for just about everything. 

alrights cheers man, ill download it!

Test HDD's with Speedfan's (download it) extended Test under the S.M.A.R.T. tab.

Try out the Corsair one temporarily and see if it fixes things.

† Christian Member †

alright cheers guys, ill run virus scans and test all the hardware and temps with your supplied programs :). and also test eh other PSU.

its good to have another opinion because i really didnt know where to start!

Do your virus scans, use a few different programs, MSE, malwarebytes, Avira... etc

If it comes up clean Run mem test, if it passes unplug all the components apart from those you need to boot, also reseat CPU and Memory.

If it boots run a hdd test (seatools or whatever), if it stays stable add other components.

If you get bluescreens, download bluescreenviewer, it will help find out what the problem is.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Do your virus scans, use a few different programs, MSE, malwarebytes, Avira... etc

If it comes up clean Run mem test, if it passes unplug all the components apart from those you need to boot, also reseat CPU and Memory.

If it boots run a hdd test (seatools or whatever), if it stays stable add other components.

If you get bluescreens, download bluescreenviewer, it will help find out what the problem is.

Memory tests are not 100% reliable.

i tested the ram and HDD and their fine. No viruses were detected.

How ever i found out that when i go into the bios on boot, the CPU temp gradually rises all the way up to around 63 degrees C, which is confusing, so i applied new thermal paste to the GPU and CPU and ill see how that goes. After i replaced the CPU compound it still went up to 63C

What does HW Monitor say?

The HW Monitor in bios said the CPU was 63 and the MOBO was 37. I downloaded Speed Fan and that said the CPU and GPU were around  47c, which is sorta understandable as its really hot here.