Replacement for Athlon X4 860k

So lately I've noticed that when playing GTA V, my cpu is really killing me and bottlenecking my R9 280x 3GB. So I'm looking to upgrade my cpu. I don't mind going Intel or sticking to AMD, I just want something that isn't going to bottleneck me gaming. My budget is $200, I'm located in US and am using Paypal so any site must accept it. Thanks for any help!

The World R:Craft - Where Dot Hack Meets Minecraft
More Info at http://forums.cyberconnects2.com/index.php#the-world-r-craft.24

i5-4440 + H81/B85 Motherboard. If you live near a Fry's Electronics, they have a nice Asus H81 mobo for $20 in store. It's in the Hot Deals section.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

So lately I've noticed that when playing GTA V, my cpu is really killing me and bottlenecking my R9 280x 3GB. So I'm looking to upgrade my cpu. I don't mind going Intel or sticking to AMD, I just want something that isn't going to bottleneck me gaming. My budget is $200, I'm located in US and am using Paypal so any site must accept it. Thanks for any help!

i5 4460 i suppose. Is your budget for the CPU or CPU and motherboard?

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

i5 4460. I have it and love it. No issues yet.

I ended up picking up a MSI 990FXA-GD80 V2 and a 8350 for $250

hell nawwhhh...that is barely any better than your athlon at gaming...why didnt you go with what everybody suggested an i5-4460 would have been A LOT better for gaming!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Hmmm, I had a fx8320 and it bottlenecked my R9 290 pretty badly. I grabbed an i5 on sale and the bottlenecks went away.

hell nawwhhh...that is barely any better than your athlon at gaming...why didnt you go with what everybody suggested an i5-4460 would have been A LOT better for gaming!

I'm not doing just purely gaming, I'll be using the extra cores for video editing and photo editing. 

The World R:Craft - Where Dot Hack Meets Minecraft
More Info at http://forums.cyberconnects2.com/index.php#the-world-r-craft.24

I'm not doing just purely gaming, I'll be using the extra cores for video editing and photo editing. 

even then...the cores on this are so weak that ''8'' of them barely do any better than a lower end core i5...even when rendering videos...and most editing software wheter it's photo or video they all benefit from strong CPU cores...just like games...i owned an FX-8320 that i had clocked at 4.6ghz and it was still greatly limiting the performance of my GTX 780 in many games...if it's not too late get a refund and buy a modern platform the FX has been out for A LONG time now and it's outdated technology...i upgraded from mine a year ago already and i owned it for only 3 or 4 months...biggest disapointment so far for me.

The AMD FX line-up never has been great performers and never will be, even at launch and now 4 years later it's a very poor choice....in fact the cores on your athlon chip are stronger and faster than that of the old AMD FX...the athlon has greater IPC than the FX line.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

You might get slightly better performance but the 8350 will still bottleneck anything above the R9 270...

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Photoshop won't show you much difference. Video editing depends heavily on the application you're using. The FX-8350 might be faster in a few specific tasks, but it falls behind everywhere else. It's not a very good trade-off unless you're really serious about video editing—in which case you could probably justify an i7.

Photoshop won't show you much difference. Video editing depends heavily on the application you're using. The FX-8350 might be faster in a few specific tasks, but it falls behind everywhere else. It's not a very good trade-off unless you're really serious about video editing—in which case you could probably justify an i7.

EDITING and RENDERING are different...when you cut/paste/edit videos or photos most of the workload is single-threaded and will be much snappier and smooter on a CPU with strong cores...RENDERING (or encoding) is what you do once you're done editing, and THIS is the only part that is really multi-threaded most of the time...so the i5 will be better at editing, might take some little extra time to render at the end but the trade off is well worth it IMHO...especialy when the user is a gamer that play GTA 5 on a R9 280X GPU!

Bottom line is, most tasks even inside workstation environement are still single-threaded...and rely a lot more on CPU per core performance rather than multi-core performance...and not often do the performance scale beyond 4 cpu threads.

Sad face.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Sad face.

yup, that's one more who fell for the ''more corez more gigabursts it's gotta be better'' without checking benchmarks and actual performance and power consumption figures.

You might get slightly better performance but the 8350 will still bottleneck anything above the R9 270...

That's not true, my 970 was happy with a 8350

That's not true, my 970 was happy with a 8350

Probably not as happy as it could have been though.

You were likely in the 60-80% usage range depending on the game.

Probably not as happy as it could have been though.

You were likely in the 60-80% usage range depending on the game.

Why is it when someone actually gives you first hand experience you either take it that they don't know know what they are talking about or they've done something wrong?

Why is it when someone actually gives you first hand experience you either take it that they don't know know what they are talking about or they've done something wrong?

Because all the evidence online contradicts what you are saying.  So do the countless other FX owners who have their high end cards being limited.

"To put it nicely, the FX-8370E is a true middle-of-the-road CPU. Using it only makes sense as long as the graphics card you choose comes from a similar performance segment.

Depending on the game in question, AMD’s new processor has the potential to keep you happy around the AMD Radeon R9 270X/285 or Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 or 660 Ti level.

A higher- or even high-end graphics card doesn’t make sense, as pairing it with AMD's FX-8370E simply limits the card's potential."

"Keeps you happy" is vague.  I want numbers, I want data.  All the data shows that an FX processor limits anything above the R9 280X/GTX770 level when playing at 1080p in the vast majority of games.

Because all the evidence online contradicts what you are saying. So do the countless other FX owners who have their high end cards being limited.

"To put it nicely, the FX-8370E is a true middle-of-the-road CPU. Using it only makes sense as long as the graphics card you choose comes from a similar performance segment.

Depending on the game in question, AMD’s new processor has the potential to keep you happy around the AMD Radeon R9 270X/285 or Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 or 660 Ti level.

A higher- or even high-end graphics card doesn’t make sense, as pairing it with AMD's FX-8370E simply limits the card's potential."

"Keeps you happy" is vague. I want numbers, I want data. All the data shows that an FX processor limits anything above the R9 280X/GTX770 level when playing at 1080p in the vast majority of games.

That's not evidence that's a reviewers opinion and not even for the same CPU! But I'm sure if its written down by a reviewer it's got to be better that someone who lives with that processor and works as hard as possible to get the most out of it

@Faceman ....Spoiler incoming...

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX