3470 - H100i Idle temps too high?

Oh no. It's because me and my friend have a setup downstairs and when he goes I will be moving my PC back upstairs. So, I think that will be a good opportunity! :L

ahh, Okay

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

ahh, Okay

Just done a Prime 95 test and temps are around 57.

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

How much thermal paste did you use?

A small pea or line of paste should suffice because I am using stock fans and when I installed my heat-sink I removed the corsair paste and added a small pea of Arctic Mx-4 paste.

On top of this you're using some NF-F12's, your CPU should be much cooler than mine from what you have told us so far.

A small pea or line of paste should suffice because I am using stock fans and when I installed my heat-sink I removed the corsair paste and added a small pea of Arctic Mx-4 paste.

On top of this you're using some NF-F12's, your CPU should be much cooler than mine from what you have told us so far.

Could it be the thermal paste between the IHS and the chip it's self ?

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Could it be the thermal paste between the IHS and the chip it's self ?

Maybe. He is using a chip that was never meant to be overclocked so maybe Intel cheaped out by not using as much paste unlike their K counterparts. I wouldn't be so sure though.

Maybe. He is using a chip that was never meant to be overclocked so maybe Intel cheaped out by not using as much paste unlike their K counterparts. I wouldn't be so sure though.

I only brought it up because everything wasn't making sense and I know the Ivy bridge line had a lot of these problems ..

I'm using arctic silver 5 paste and I applied a small pea size blob in the centre as recommended.

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

I only brought it up because everything wasn't making sense and I know the Ivy bridge line had a lot of these problems ..

I don't think so as I have looked up idle temps for this CPU with the h100i with stock fans and they idle at around 31.

See my Build here!

ahh, Okay

After re-applying thermal paste temps haven't changed, if anything gone up by 1. This may be due to being in a slightly warmer room however.

See my Build here!

I don't think so as I have looked up idle temps for this CPU with the h100i with stock fans and they idle at around 31.

I thought it may be that, Not every CPU is the same

I thought it may be that, Not every CPU is the same

I believe it may be CPU problem :/. I'm looking at purchasing a 3770K soon, as I will be doing more CPU intensive tasks in the future for college work. So, hopefully my idle temps will be much lower due to this. 

See my Build here!

I believe it may be CPU problem :/. I'm looking at purchasing a 3770K soon, as I will be doing more CPU intensive tasks in the future for college work. So, hopefully my idle temps will be much lower due to this. 

Alright, for now you are just going to live with the warmer temps 

Alright, for now you are just going to live with the warmer temps 

Afraid so!

See my Build here!

It isn't that bad, it is just above normal, it isn't like it is hurting the CPU so, just wait it out till you get the 3770K.

It isn't that bad, it is just above normal, it isn't like it is hurting the CPU so, just wait it out till you get the 3770K.

I know, I was just hoping to push this one a little further to around 4.1GHz (which is surprisingly doable). However, with these temps I may not. 

See my Build here!

I know, I was just hoping to push this one a little further to around 4.1GHz (which is surprisingly doable). However, with these temps I may not. 

If you really want to you can try removing the IHS, quite risky though..

No one asked how he OCed a 3470?What voltage are you running at? Does it still idle at lower ghz and voltage?

If you really want to you can try removing the IHS, quite risky though..

I've seen them videos, I would say I could do it; yet I don't have the balls to risk it :L!

See my Build here!

I've seen them videos, I would say I could do it; yet I don't have the balls to risk it :L!

Alright, As OneGun said how are you overclocking it ?

No one asked how he OCed a 3470?What voltage are you running at? Does it still idle at lower ghz and voltage?

All the information in that link! :)

http://valid.canardpc.com/2864866

See my Build here!

All the information in that link! :)

http://valid.canardpc.com/2864866

I personally don't know much about overclocking so I would suggest saving your overclock or writing down what you have configured then resetting your overclock so that it is at stock speed and see what the temps are.

is that idle or full l

That is with no applications running :S

See my Build here!

That is Idle.

Well that's why you are running hotter on idle..You are locked at 3.8ghz and you don't drop to 1.6ghz on idle and your voltage is a constant 1.12..

Those temps are normal running at that speed and voltage with no downclock on idle..